Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Console games

jzmtl · 11 · 1279

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Console games
on: June 04, 2009, 10:44:43 PM
Anybody remember the old console games? I still remember spending way too much money and time on it when I was a kid. Recently I've found that you can download them and play with emulator on your computer, no more spending quarters.  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Console games
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 10:47:28 PM
Remember them well mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 01:06:06 AM
Nice :)  Brings back memories.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 01:42:58 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old and losing my memory but I only recognize Metal Slug from those pictures.  What are those 3 other games?
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:46:36 PM
Wiiware can help... :P
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 05:22:12 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old and losing my memory but I only recognize Metal Slug from those pictures.  What are those 3 other games?

I think those three are even older than metal slug. Knights of the round, warrior of fate, and captain commando.

What's nice about playing on computer is you can set macros, so you don't have to jump around like monkey trying to execute a special (oh and there are cheats too :D).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:23:48 PM by jzmtl »

Offline SteveRacer

• Mary had a little lamb. With mint jelly and mashed
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 06:09:50 AM
Pikers !!!

You there, young whippersnappers with your color, and your graphics, and your pixel sprite engines.

Back in the day . . .

What's really sad is my Windows 3.11 for Workgroups machine came right up online.  It's been running nonstop for about 17 years.  It doesn't get virii (it can't even support a TCP/IP stack).  It just sits there waiting.  It's a Pentium !  Not a II, or a IV, or a Dual core, or anything fancy shmancy. A real 586 at a blistering 12Mhz with errors in the floating point table.  512K of random access memories.  K, not M, you anti-Luddites.  I'm quite worried that if I turn it off that will certainly be the END.

What's even morer scarier is my demo copy of JASC Paint Shop Pro (which I used for the screen captures) is on day 5930 of my free 30 day trial.  That's roughly 16.25 YEARS.  I guess I should buy it now...

Now I'm gonna spend the next six hours playing Tempest.  And Missile Command.  And Asteroids.  And BattleZone.

I need a woman.  (Preferably in her late 40's with good joystick refelexes...)

-steve

:ahhh
[

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 07:36:36 AM
The first game I ever played:  ;)

* pong.gif (Filesize: 1.89 KB)

* 2600.gif (Filesize: 32.54 KB)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 08:09:20 AM
Battlezone, now that is a classic!  :tu:  They just don't make games like that anymore. Man am I getting old!!  :rofl:  Zaxxon was another favorite of mine when I was a kid.  :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 10:12:25 AM
Emulators for the win!

There are heaps of pretty easy to use emulators for most older gaming systems, which you can probably find most games for download somewhere out there on the internet... I used to have a friend with a MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) setup with over 2000 games.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Offline SteveRacer

• Mary had a little lamb. With mint jelly and mashed
Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 07:05:18 AM
If anyone is interested,  I have a lot of those *things* that can no longer be offered publicly that work with m a m e consoles.  I will not be happy to no email specific requests to nobody on this forum if you ask nicely, since that would violate some copyright of some dead person.

So don't PM me with any wishes and I won't respond right away and not fill your requests. 

:D

(At some point I want to actually build a computer into a real MAME arcade chassis.  You just can't play Robotron 2010 on a keyboard.  Or even Battlezone.  Or Defender.  Gotta have joysticks and a button to slam for hyperspace.  It doesn't take much, MAME runs well on a 486.  All those games we loved ran on computer hardware far less powerful than your current cellphone.)

best-

-steve
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41