Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

PROPOSED U.S. RULE WOULD MAKE MANY POCKETKNIVES ILLEGAL

us Offline bren10man

This was sent to me via the knife mailing list, be sure and read the whole thing.
================================================== ======

PROPOSED U.S. RULE WOULD MAKE MANY POCKETKNIVES ILLEGAL

This email is just a heads up to Knife Rights members and supporters about a very critical and important development that jeopardizes your right to own and carry pocket knives. PLEASE DO NOT ACT YET! Word is reaching the street via forums and other means and we want to make sure the true facts are known as there are many inaccurate rumors circulating. Many of the emails we have received are inaccurate or full of hyperbole. Any knee jerk or inappropriate reaction will endanger our cause, not help it. Please wait until your organization has developed appropriate and effective responses in order that you are taken seriously by the relevant authorities. I cannot overemphasize how critical this is, DO NOT WRITE YET, PLEASE!

Now, on to the issue:

U.S. Customs just about a week ago proposed revoking earlier rulings and years of precedence that assisted opening knives are not switchblades; that, in and of itself is bad enough. However, the proposed new rule would not only outlaw assisted opening knives, its overly broad new interpretation of what is a switchblade (automatic) knife could also easily be interpreted to include all one-handed opening knives and even most other pocket knives. All knife owners could be impacted by this ill-conceived change to existing policy. We will have much more information on the historical issues and the like in coming days as we organize our response.

Please note that Customs' interpretation of the Federal Switchblade Act forms the basis for national, state and even local law and judicial rulings in many cases. The effect is NOT limited to just imports. This would be a devastating blow to our rights and to the entire knife making community. It has the potential to make criminals of millions of law-abiding citizens and put thousands of workers on the street. This is no joke, this is not just hype, and this is the real thing.

Knife Rights, in cooperation with AKTI and the affected knife manufacturers, is formulating a well-reasoned and effective response. We will all be asking for an extension to the ridiculously short 30-day comment period. We anticipate that some extension will be granted, hopefully for a meaningful period. Part of the reason for the extension is to allow us to adequately inform and advise the millions of knife owners who might be affected. PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND JUST YET. This would be extremely counterproductive. We still have plenty of time to do this right and stop this travesty, but we must proceed intelligently and at the correct time with the best possible arguments. DO NOT JUMP THE GUN!

Within the next week we will post a sample letter and talking points for your use. At that time we will ask you to write and MAKE YOUR VOICES HEARD! Please, do not respond earlier, it will be extremely counterproductive.

In the meantime, we are making the full 63 page document available to you to read for yourself. Again, while we understand your frustration, please do not write just yet.
http://www.kniferights.org/U%20S%20C...g%20Knives.pdf

This is the reason why Knife Rights exists; this is why we formed the organization. We didn't know where or how the attack would come, but we knew it was only a matter of time. We are here for you and will keep you informed.

Doug Ritter
dritter@KnifeRights.org

Have you signed up? Go to: www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your right to own and carry knives and tools

I informed Felinevet today about this.....he told me he is checking on this.  This would make the US like UK....what more do they want to ban, sticks, stones, when does it end?

I bet General Secretary Hussein is behind this somehow.....sheesh!!!!
 :twak:
MOLON LABE!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: PROPOSED U.S. RULE WOULD MAKE MANY POCKETKNIVES ILLEGAL
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 11:39:51 AM
We have already been made aware of this elsewhere on here.

I'm surprised I can still carry my keys legally.
I'm back!!

us Offline bren10man

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 11:41:45 AM

OK.  I was not sure (I only go to the SAK forum).  Delete if already posted.
MOLON LABE!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:43 AM

me too,

just don't use them to defend yourself  :ahhh

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:59:30 AM
Keys: they're pointed, have serrations and they lock. Yup, key carrying seems totally illegal to me. :D

EDIT: well, of course you do have a good reason for doing that... ::) But then again you could have installed a remote-control-something for a lock. So off you go... :twak:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%