Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Woohoo, Victorinox new soldier

jzmtl · 44 · 4050

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Woohoo, Victorinox new soldier
Reply #30 on: June 12, 2009, 07:26:43 AM
Nice one :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 08:08:13 AM
Well, problem solved.  ::) A week ago I had a hard time deciding which one to get and thinking there is no way I'd get both, but here I am, keeping the soldier NIB and going to EDC the OHT.

(Image removed from quote.)

:cheers:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 01:32:21 PM
 ::)

:D
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 08:24:19 PM
Yeah yeah yeah, I need more self control.  :P

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 11:32:25 PM
FYI, there was a mini-review article on page 19 of Nat. Geo. Adventure.  It gave the new Soldier high praise!! :tu: :salute:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 11:54:38 PM by BIG-TARGET »
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 11:36:12 PM
Well, problem solved.  ::) A week ago I had a hard time deciding which one to get and thinking there is no way I'd get both, but here I am, keeping the soldier NIB and going to EDC the OHT.

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a microbiology research article there. 

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 11:48:01 PM

Looks like a microbiology research article there. 

Haha, good eye, didn't think anybody would notice. It's a paper on Genbank that I printed out a while ago, since it's on my desk so just grabbed it for background.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 07:37:07 PM
Used it to cut down a tree yesterday, the saw go through green wood nicely, but get clogged too. The hump on blade does affect ergonomic while using saw.

Tried to sharpen the OHT, grind is not nearly as acute as the blade on spirit. None of the preset sharpmaker slot will work so I had to do it freehand. Steel is really soft, I've already created burr in time that won't even scratch super steels with the white rod. I can't seem to get it as sharp as my other knives, not sure what's going on  here.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:39:09 PM by jzmtl »

Offline islander

• New User
Reply #38 on: June 15, 2009, 03:55:51 AM
If i may jump in on this conversation, I ordered mine two weeks ago, got in the mail last week, now its in my brothers hands. Why? didn't like the blade. It's cut for right handed use, i'm a lefty. Every thing else is great. I liked the thumb hole for opening, the saw is really neat, every thing else is really good. I'm just not comfortable with blades that way. Why they cut it that way ??? Who knows. its frustrating. Now to look for something else to play with. :ahhh

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 04:35:39 AM
Well does it actually affect the cutting performance? I bet it's all in your head. Most serrated blades are cut the way you want but rightys has no problem with them.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #40 on: June 15, 2009, 04:57:14 AM
Well does it actually affect the cutting performance? I bet it's all in your head. Most serrated blades are cut the way you want but rightys has no problem with them.

Big difference. When you cut with the grind down/toward you, the cutting process is fairly imprecise.  It's the same complaint I had about the CRKT MAK-1.

Offline islander

• New User
Reply #41 on: June 15, 2009, 05:10:25 AM
Thanks Mr. Whippy and your right. Also, it was hammered into the thick skull long time ago, never never, ever cut towards the body, always away. with grind on that side, it is more difficult to control. :tu:

us Offline django.cj

Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 10:05:21 PM
Used it to cut down a tree yesterday, the saw go through green wood nicely, but get clogged too. The hump on blade does affect ergonomic while using saw.

Tried to sharpen the OHT, grind is not nearly as acute as the blade on spirit. None of the preset sharpmaker slot will work so I had to do it freehand. Steel is really soft, I've already created burr in time that won't even scratch super steels with the white rod. I can't seem to get it as sharp as my other knives, not sure what's going on  here.

I'm surprised you're having difficulty. Using the sharpmaker's white rod corrner on the 40 degree setting gets me a wicked razor edge.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 10:22:12 PM

I'm surprised you're having difficulty. Using the sharpmaker's white rod corrner on the 40 degree setting gets me a wicked razor edge.

40° setting is only 20° per side, and it's not enough to hit the edge unfortunately.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%