Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

first SAK

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
first SAK
on: June 14, 2009, 04:36:25 PM
So I just sent Felinevet some money  :D Decided to buy my first SAK. A CT 34. To be honest I've never been a huge SAK fan. Well made obviously, but they just never really suited my needs. Last night however I had a bit of an epiphany: Instead relying on a SAK as my EDC, why not compliment my EDC (SURGE!!) with a SAK. A lightbulb can on bright as a lighthouse lol. After hours of research and decision making I finally decided on the Cybertool 34. It seemed to have the best compliment of features that are missing from the SURGE (like long reaching drivers) without excessive redundancy. I know the combo is a bit bulky and heavy but that's irrelevant to me. Besides there's just enough redundancy that I could get away with either one by itself if it comes down to it. I wanted the CT 41 but the added size, weight, and price weren't worth it for implements that would ultimately prove redundant anyway. Can't wait!! (And yes, I got it in sapphire:) )

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: first SAK
Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:59:32 PM
Good choice of SAK.  As you say that's quite some size of combo you'll have there but if you can EDC a surge then adding a little old SAK won't make much difference. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline silentio

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 05:35:28 PM
Excellent choice. I love my CT29. Agonized about getting the CT34 instead at the shop (you should have seen how long I stayed there, it was embarrasing), but decided I could do with a little less weight in favour of the pliers and scissors.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:46:30 PM
Congrats! :tu:

that sounds like a sweet combo, make sure to take pics for us :cheers:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:22:07 PM
CT 34 AND SURGE!... Why didn't I see that coming...?
Real good choice, I'm very happy with my (RUBY) Cybertool.. :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 08:26:41 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:33:24 PM
Yeah, I've got a Nite Ize Pock Its holster that has a TON of room in it. If I find it uncomfortable to pocket them both, I'll just go back to using that. But I don't think I'll have too hard a time pocketing them both when I feel the need. Don't know if I'll EDC them both all the time, but with that combo I think it'll give me some good options depending on what I think I'll be doing that day.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:26:07 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope mate :tu:

Lol, you said it! :D

Sounds like a heck of an EDC combo mate.  That long driver should add a useful element to your ECD - the finesse of a SAK with the power of the surge.  Hope it works out well for you :tu:

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 11:33:18 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I'm going for. SURGE for the big stuff and the CT for the lighter work. Not to mention the extra stuff like the hook and whatnot to add a bit of extra functionality to the mix.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:48:14 AM
That's a weighty combo but as two great tools to compliment each other I think you've got it spot on  :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 02:48:13 AM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one to think that the combo may actually work  :)
I'll have to experiment with carry options. I carry the SURGE clipped to the inside of my pocket where it's easy to get at. I wanna use the CT more often as it's way more sheeple friendly to whip out and use at work: everyone insists on calling the SURGE "my knife" on account of me always using the blade to open stuff, can't convince people it's a pair of pliers  ::) Problem is since the CT is smaller and doesn't have any sort of clip it's always gonna wind up underneath the SURGE at the bottom of my pocket. I'lll probably have to take out the SURGE anyway just to get at the CT. Kinda defeats the purpose. So we'll have to see what I can come up with.

On a side note: I wonder if there's anyway to attach a pocket clip to one of the backsprings on the hook side of the tool. It would clip on "sideways" to allow for a better carry and not interfere with anything. Having one welded/brazed onto the flat of the pliers backspring? Just a thought.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 03:07:32 AM
Could you keep the Surge clipped to the front and then use a belt dangler to have the CT sit towards the back of the pocket? 

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 03:15:12 AM
Maybe I'm dense, but what the crap is a belt dangler? If it's what I'm picturing then that may not be too bad an option. I could also just use a sheath. but I've come to prefer clipping things in my pockets for discreetness. I'm actually toying with the idea of a short lanyard clipped to the SURGE's key ring. I could just unclip it from the SURGE and pull it out by the lanyard if I want quick access. If I wanna use the SURGE then unclipping it wouldn't be a big deal there either. And it keeps the tools together. Hmmmm....

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 03:18:35 AM
One of these..

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 03:34:53 AM
Ah yes, perhaps.

Edited to remove stupidity lol.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 03:37:00 AM by thebullfrog »

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 03:35:37 AM
Nope, it just clips to the keyring attachment.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 03:37:51 AM
Yeah I see that now, edited the last post, too late apparently  :D

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 03:55:06 AM
Does the belt hanger have a loop in the back that the belt goes thru, or is it a clip on the back side? As in, could it be clipped onto my pocket?

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 04:18:28 AM
Ah nevermind. I actually just found some tard who made a 7 minute long youtube video about that belt hanger lol. The way the clip works wouldn't work in a pocket, but it's still a possibility. Oh well I'll figure out how I wanna carry it when I get it.

That damned slippery slope is getting awfully slick. I keep trying to come up with mods for it already  ::)

us Offline bren10man

Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 05:01:18 AM
One of these.. (Image removed from quote.)

I have one of those.  Easy to use, nothing gets lost, very secure.  Highly recommended.
MOLON LABE!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 02:10:39 AM
Okay, I REALLY need my SAK. At work today I ran into SOOOOOO many things where that CT would have been an immense help. The SURGE did it's thing including cutting through some heavy bailing wire like it was a toothpick, but I just kept running into hard to reach screws where I was dying for that driver. And trying to route some cables through a couple tight spots I couldn't stop thinking "all purpose hook". I don't even have the thing yet, but just knowing it's coming I keep finding uses for it. My SURGE needs it's mate!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%