Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

COAST Fishing Multi-tools Review.

Chako · 40 · 15142

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
COAST Fishing Multi-tools Review.
on: June 14, 2009, 10:42:26 PM
Time for another review. Today, I went out to the local Wal-Mart and found a few more multi-tools that they didn’t have the last time I went.  I had previously picked up one of these beforehand. However, the other two are brand spanking new.

All these multi-tools are geared towards fisherman. This review will focus on COAST fishing multi tools.

From top to bottom: COAST Folding Fish Tool, COAST Fishing Multi-tool Box, and COAST Micro Fish Tool.

From left to right: Folding Fish tool Sheath, Mini TAC Lenser flashlight, Retractable key cord, COAST Folding Fish Tool, COAST Multi-tool Box, and COAST Micro Fish Tool with special tension wrench.

COAST Folding Fish Tool (Pro Pocket Fishing Pliers):

The Folding Fish Tool is very well made, big, and heavy. It is easily larger and heavier then the Leatherman Core. When folded out, it dwarfs the Core due to the very long needle nose pliers. The Pliers are rather special on this tool.  They are long enough to have the tool broken down into specific utility regions.

The above photograph illustrated the forceps pliers tip.

From the forceps pliers tip to the end of the wire cutters, the pliers are about 2 inches long.

In this photo, you can see the different areas of the pliers. From left to right: Wire Cutters, Coarse pliers, 3 crimpers for leaders, stops, and sleeves, Fine pliers, forceps pliers tip. Whew, talk about a multi function pliers head.

In one handle, we have:
-Scissors, and a bit socket.

In the other handle, we have:
-Marlin Spike, Knife blade with partial serration, combination bottle opener/small flat head screwdriver, and a Phillips head screwdriver.

Both handles have ruler markings on the exterior.

The sheath it comes with is rather special. It comes in a beautiful red. It also has some interesting features. There is a storage compartment that comes with 12 bits and a real neat feature, a special tension wrench. What sets this apart from others is that this compartment is zippered. I am unsure how well this will work in the field when you have this attached to your belt, but it does ensure that you will never lose a bit. There is also a front compartment for the fishing tool outside of the zippered storage area. The back contains a belt look that allows you to carry it either up or sideways on the belt. There is also a swivel attachment point in the back if you want to carry the tool around your neck with a lanyard, etc… A rather neat and handy option.

Showing zippered compartment plus bit/wrench storage. I placed the tool on the flap to keep it down for the photograph. The tool actually slides into the other side of that flap, which is then closed by the velcroed flap.

Overall, I really like this tool. I can appreciate the multi functional pliers. The tool has a quality feel to it. You can adjust the tension on the bolts with the provided wrench tensioning tool…a very neat feature. The tools come out nice and easy, and lock with authority. On the flip side, it does not have a modern feel to it. With the pliers opened, your palm and fingers are faced with sharp sheet metal. The folding tools do lock, however, you need to use another folding tool placed at 90 degrees to the locked tool to unlock it. Not  very convenient that. With that said, the Folding Fish Tool is solid, well built, and feature rich for the fisherman out there who is willing to carry a big heavy tool on their belt or better yet, in the boat.

COAST Fishing Multi-tool Box:

I didn’t take too many photographs of this odd tool simply because there is already an awesome review on the home page.

The tool is a rather strange one in that there are no pliers included. Instead, you get a lot of folding tools in a fairly small package. Smaller then the Folding Fishing Tool, but larger than the Micro Fishing Tool. That extra size means the tools are also larger than the Micro Fishing Tool. No space is wasted.

The cover  has cut outs for 4 wrenches: ½”, 3/8”, 5/16”, 1/4”. The cover also has markings for a metric and Imperial ruler.

The bottom of the tool has a nice diamond hook hone, along with a continuation of the ruler markings.

The tools are many for such a small package.  Inside, you get 7 individual folding tools.  From left to right:
-   Knife blade with partial serration, marlin spike, scissors, a rather flat on one sided Phillips screwdriver, saw,  hook remover, combo bottle opener/ small flat head screwdriver, and lanyard ring with clip.

All tools lock by closing the lid. This engages a 90 degree bent sheet metal tip that engages a groove in the folding tools shank. Simple and it works very well. The only issue is that you have to apply downward pressure on the lid to lock the tool during use. Likewise, some tools have play when they should be locked. Not much, but enough to make it feel cheaper than the overall tool actually is. It is also rather heavy. When you think about it, It is almost a solid block of metal.

COAST Micro Fish Tool:

From left to right: Tensioning Wrench, COAST Micro Fish Tool, LED Mini TAC torch, retractable lanyard.

This was a set that came with the Micro Tool and a LED Torch along with the retractable cord lanyard. Now I was not expecting much from this small kit. The retractable lanyard is about as cheap as I expected. The LED flashlight on the other hand, was a pleasant surprise. It throws a surprising amount of blue/purplish light for such a small device. It came shipped with a snap on pocket clip, and the swivel. I at first wondered how to turn on the flashlight, and found that if I pressed the pocket clip, it would turn on. I quickly figured to swivel the clip so that it doesn’t cover the on/off button. It made a lot more sense, and I strongly suspect they shipped it this way so that the unit does not turn itself on during shipping  and storage. The flashlight is very solid, a great size, and throws enough light to be very useful. It is powered by 3 AG13 watch batteries, and it being LED, should last for quite some time.  I would have been happy to pay the total package for this small flashlight alone (It has a good weight, and oozes quality).  As it stands, I figure I got the Micro Tool and the cheap lanyard for free. Just FYI, the flashlight is called “COAST LED Lenser Mini TAC Silver Case Model 7831”.

The COAST Micro Fishing Tool is very small, portable, and doesn’t weight very much. It is the smaller of the other COAST fishing tools mentioned in this article. The Tool features a small needle nose pliers with wire/line cutter.

On one handle, we have:
-   Small Phillips screwdriver, scissors, and combo bottle opener/mini flathead screwdriver.

On the other handle, we have:
-   Medium flathead screwdriver, knife blade, saw, combo file blade/fish eye hook cleaner, and key ring.

Once again, this tool suffers some of the issues its larger cousin suffers. When the pliers are in use, you get that nice sharp sheet metal digging into the palms. It does make using the pliers with any force, a bit uncomfortable. This issue isn’t as noticeable as the larger tool. This is probably due to the smaller size of the handles.

Conclusion:
In this mini review, we have looked briefly at 3 different COAST multi-tools aimed squarely at the fisherman. Each tool has its own uniqueness that sets is apart from the others. The Folding Fish Tool has a multi function pliers that are simply awesome in its utilitarianism. Likewise, this is the tool I would want to carry if I had to remove hooks in Pike and Musky, or any sharp toothed fish. This pair is big and heavy enough to probably use it as a cudgel if needed. The Fishing Multi-tool Box is a unique product that lacks pliers. You do gain a lot of tools in a compact and easy to carry form factor. This is the perfect tool to leave in the toolbox, or hanging from a fishing vest (The hook diamond hone would be prized by fly fisherman). The Micro Fish Tool feature a small fish eye hook cleaner that the other products don’t seem to have. This is about all that sets it apart, other than the small needle nose pliers that could come in handy when fishing.

COAST Folding Fish Tool
Pros:
-   Fantastic sheath.
-   Big sturdy tool.
-   Awesome multipurpose pliers.
-   Well constructed.
-   Locking blades.

Cons:
-   Big sturdy tool.
-   Antiquated design with little comfort for the user when pliers are opened.
-   Have to use another folding tool to unlock a locked tool.

COAST Fishing Multi-tool Box:
Pros:
-   Lots of tools in a small package.
-   Diamond hook hone that is useful for so much more.
-   Locking tools.
-   Neat little tensioning wrench included to either loosen or tighten the tool.

Cons:
-   Some movement in the locked tools (up and down).
-   Have to keep constant pressure on the lid to keep the tools locked during use.
-   Heavy for its size. Just don’t fall in the drink wearing this little guy.

COAST Micro Fish Tool
Pros:
-   Came with a very good torch.
-   Small and compact.
-   Needle nose pliers.
-   Neat little hook eye cleaner.
-   Neat little tensioning wrench included to either loosen or tighten the tool.

Cons:
-   A little difficult to close.
-   Antiquated design with little comfort for the user when pliers are opened.
-   Cheap retractable lanyard included in package. I guess the hardware is useful.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:49:19 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: COAST Fishing Multi-tools Review.
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:51:57 AM
Thanks for looking at these!

One of the problems I have in reviewing many of the tools available is that many are somewhat specialized, and I can't do everything.  As a result, I usually look at tools from a general purpose point of view, which doesn't always do tools like the Fishing Box justice.  To expand on this, I have several bike multis, but no bike, and as such, no review of any of them.  Of course, I carry/use some of them regularly as I find it handy to have the Allen wrenches to compliment a more traditional type multitool.

Great reviews- nice and in depth, great pics, and all laid out nicely- you could have a serious future in this!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 04:17:12 AM
Sigh...nothing worse than finding a typo after reading it over a few times. It should say "loop" instead of "look". I just noticed that lol.

Thank you for the kind comments. I will keep plugging away.  :D

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 04:37:15 AM
I saw it at walmart the other day and was thinking about it, but the 1/4" bit holder turned me off. Takes up a lot of space and pretty much useless for fishing.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 04:49:34 AM
Good review!  I like the off the beaten track multitools.  Those hex drivers in the handle seem like an excellent idea!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 03:30:04 AM
 :tu: Great review again ;) :D I don't usually look at the Coast line much but I may look better next time thanks to this review :D I really like the sheath that the largest tool comes with :o also the plier head of the first 1 is very interesting :tu: The other 2 tools have a few good points as well thanks for sharing :)

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 03:36:35 AM
great review as usual mate, thanks :tu:
A

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 09:19:35 PM
I know I'm digging this sucker up out of the graveyard, but I just did want to mention something - I got one of these a while ago, and the light included is actually the Coast LED Lenser 7553, which is a 10-12 lumen torch using a German Lenser led module.  This is an INCREDIBLE bargain for the light alone - it costs $12 CDN and Wal-Mart for the whole package, probably cheaper in the US.  If you need a backup keychain light, it's an absolute steal.

They've also changed the steel from 440A to 440C (at least according to a current package).

us Offline TexanKnives224

Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 06:50:06 AM
Hey, Chako I was wondering if you still happen to have the middle multitool?
I love knives and edc

Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 06:59:32 AM
Because I've been scouring many forums, websites, and many other parts of the internet trying to find that Coast fishing multitool.  This is because when I was a young boy my father purchased this tool for me as my first pocket knife.  but one sad day my Aunt became mad and took it away and then lost it, and it has been gone ever since.  And I have always felt saddened by the fact that I wouldn't be able to present my first pocket knife/multitool to my son when he is ready.  So you can imagine how I felt when I finally found this review, for it seemed as if no one else in the world knew of this knife.  I would like to inquire if we might start an email correspondence and possibly if you were willing to sell it that I could purchase it from you?
I love knives and edc

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 01:26:58 PM
I am sorry to hear about that TexanKnives224. Are you talking about the non-plier based one marked Fishing Multi-Toolbox? Yes indeed I still have it. I am quite the hoarder...er...collector. I however never sell any of my collection off.

I did a quick eBay search and found out that this tool is possibly rare these days. I know they were available up to 2012, and were readily found in the local Canadian Wal-Mart store in their fishing section during that time period. I haven't seen them there for a few years now.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 01:36:08 PM by Chako »

Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 11:09:04 PM
Alright, sir, I understand your policy on your collection, I'll look for it somewhere else.  I knew it would be a long shot finding a collector willing to sell.  I thank you for your time have a good day  :) (btw I did originally mean the COAST Fishing Multi-tool Box, sorry for not specifying earlier.)
I love knives and edc

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 12:53:46 AM
Tex, I'll keep a look out for you, they appear from time to time over here still. I bought and gave one away earlier this year.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 11:38:47 AM
TexanKnives224. Give me your address via messages on this forum. I am feeling like a random act of kindness is in order, and may mail you something in the near future gratis.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 04:32:38 PM
TexanKnives224. Give me your address via messages on this forum. I am feeling like a random act of kindness is in order, and may mail you something in the near future gratis.

the man with the biggest collection seems to have a big heart as well

:hatsoff: :clap:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 01:41:34 AM

the man with the biggest collection seems to have a big heart as well

:hatsoff: :clap:

+1   :tu:   :salute:   :like:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 06:11:21 AM
I thank you for your willingness to perform acts of kindness in this season of thankfulness. However, unfortunately, I, for some reason, am unable to send messages on the forum so if you wanted you could either email me at my disposable account timwork224@gmail.com, or message me and i think i can reply
I love knives and edc

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 06:20:28 AM
You'll be able to send messages when you reach 5 posts.

Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 06:22:09 AM
oh ok thank you
I love knives and edc

Reply #19 on: November 23, 2017, 06:23:32 AM
oh ok thank you
  :D that was my 5th post
I love knives and edc

Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 06:31:19 AM
the message has been sent
I love knives and edc

Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 06:31:58 AM
Tex, I'll keep a look out for you, they appear from time to time over here still. I bought and gave one away earlier this year.
thanks zoidberg
I love knives and edc

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: December 09, 2017, 07:30:54 PM
Ok, just  PMed you. The Kris Kringle package has just been sent. Check PM for tracking number.  :salute:

Reply #23 on: December 09, 2017, 07:35:17 PM

Ok, just  PMed you. The Kris Kringle package has just been sent. Check PM for tracking number.  :salute:
I checked the number it's supposed to arrive on 12-20-2017 thank you greatly sir, when it arrives I'll take pictures of the unboxing :D
I love knives and edc

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #24 on: December 09, 2017, 08:32:11 PM
I checked the number it's supposed to arrive on 12-20-2017 thank you greatly sir, when it arrives I'll take pictures of the unboxing :D

you could do the unboxing picture worthy by using that SOG Bowie to open the package   :D :tu:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 09:12:30 PM

you could do the unboxing picture worthy by using that SOG Bowie to open the package   :D :tu:
haha I'll probably use my new ka-bar it's my new favorite sheath knife
I love knives and edc

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 02:35:05 AM
 :tu:

Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 04:29:10 AM
I have received the package, now to do and post the unboxing of the random act of kindness by the generous Chako :salute: :mail: :D
I love knives and edc

Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 04:46:44 AM
Unfortunately the pictures are too big so I will have to edit them before I can post they should be up tonight though
I love knives and edc

Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 06:33:31 AM
part 1
IMG_20171216_202215360.jpg
* IMG_20171216_202215360.jpg (Filesize: 161.36 KB)
IMG_20171216_202309873.jpg
* IMG_20171216_202309873.jpg (Filesize: 133.75 KB)
IMG_20171216_202441214.jpg
* IMG_20171216_202441214.jpg (Filesize: 129.59 KB)
I love knives and edc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD