Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not an axe but....

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Not an axe but....
on: June 15, 2009, 01:15:50 AM
While hiking through the woods yesterday I managed to give my Cold Steel Magnum Kukhri Machete (a name almost as big as the blade itself!) a good workout.  I chopped through some serious limbs, both live and dead, and while my arm felt like it was going to fall off on several occasions, it performed quite well, and I was impressed!

I haven't had a chance to inspect the edge too closely yet, but there doesn't seem to be any ill effects on it, other than the blade being a little dirty.  Well, dirt doesn't bother me, and since the sheath is crap anyway I didn't bother to clean it off before I put it away.  It'll be interesting to see how well it fares after spending a couple of days locked away in the sheath after encountering lots of mud and other random moisture sources here!

I have to say though, that I found it much more convenient than an axe, and while I probably wouldn't want to chop firewood with it on a regular basis, I think it will be my primary wood gathering device on camping trips- which is of course what I bought it for anyway!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Not an axe but....
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 01:27:39 AM
Wielding an axe just isn't the same as swinging a great big machete around is it?! Much more fun and definitely more versatile as a bush tool etc. Better for scaring away freaky stray creatures too imagine (polar bears ect :))

Sounds like you've been having gun with it anyway  :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 01:32:54 AM
22" of sheer zombie killing action... how can you not have fun?  :D

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

It's the bigger one....  and in case anyone wonders how big, here it is next to a Charge XTi....

When Tim (Felinevet) sent it to me, I'd planned on using it for my kayaking/camping trip (which I still haven't taken :( ) and he suggested it might come in handy as a spare paddle!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 01:38:26 AM
22" of sheer zombie killing action... how can you not have fun?  :D

http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html

It's the bigger one....  and in case anyone wonders how big, here it is next to a Charge XTi....

(Image removed from quote.)

When Tim (Felinevet) sent it to me, I'd planned on using it for my kayaking/camping trip (which I still haven't taken :( ) and he suggested it might come in handy as a spare paddle!

Def
Wow :o

That's big ain't it!
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:44:10 AM
It's a good sized hunk of steel, that's for sure.  Want to know the best part?  I think it was only $25 or so....  one of the greatest bangs for the buck in the knife world!

Of course shipping to Oz would probably be more painful than shipping to Canada was!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:20:56 AM
I can't wait to get my Cold Steel Kukri...although it's the "regular" Kukri..I should be getting it in a few days (along with the Cold Steel shovel!)

Was there any indication on where yours was made and of what steel?  As far as I know these come unmarked for the most part, but some had stickers on the blade.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:47:23 AM
Mine still has a big sticker on the opposite side of the blade that says South Africa.  I believe the entire machete line is made there, while the standard kukhri line (like the Gurkha, LTC and so on) are made in the US.  I could be wrong on that, or my info could be outdated since I haven't kept as close tabs on CS as I used to.

I have however owned many of their products and have been very fond of all of them.

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 03:53:44 AM
Those big machetes can sure chop. I was never fond of my $10 18" canadian tire machete, but after I thinned out the edge and sharpened it, it can bite an inch and half cross grain into piece of 4x4 with one swing, I have no doubt it can chop down an inch thick tree limbs in one hit too.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 07:26:43 AM
You just can't beat a Kukri for maniacle fun can you >:D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 09:44:58 PM
 :mail:

I got my Kukri (and shovel) today; say what you will about Cold Steel, but from a pure value standpoint, they aren't beat by anyone. 

I read reviews about the low end CS stuff like the machetes/hawks/shovel, and always roll my eyes when they exclaim "the edge is horrid!  It doesn't cut anything!"...they can't compute the whole concept of "get what you pay for"...there is no edge to speak of on these big chunks of steel they sell cheap, you do it yourself!  The Kukri I got had a thick burr along the entire edge, but for the $15 or so I paid for it (and a decent sheath), I'm more than happy to remove it myself and clean the edge.  Next up is a cordwrap for the tiny (uncomfortable) handle   

I will say the Bushman and Pocket Bushman I bought were sharp as hell, same with the American made SRK I owned...I think it's just the machete/axe line that doesn't ship with an edge.
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:44:25 PM
You just can't beat a Kukri for maniacle fun can you >:D
Nope have done the hedge  with mine mega fun !!!!!!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 10:00:35 PM
Pretty sure it's 1055, atleast, that's what almost all the other machetes are made out of.
Got those frog legs.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD