Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any cyclists out there?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Any cyclists out there?
on: April 18, 2007, 12:54:36 AM
I have recently noticed all the the cool biking tools available and I was wondering if any cyclist types made it here, and might be able to tell us about some of them.

Given the huge number of bike related multis out there, it's a shame that we don't have more coverage of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Fishnuts2

Re: Any cyclists out there?
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 01:20:12 AM
Motorcyclist...YES !! 140K BMW miles.  Cyclist...now & then.  I first learned of Leatherman tools from motorcycle magazines.  Ride on.
W

Offline knife-man

Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:30:53 AM
cyclist yes.

But I never used any multitool apart from the folding allen key sets. The probalem with bike's and multitool's is that apart from a adjustable spanner and a set of allen keys the things you will need to fix a bike are pretty speSmurfpillst tool's punture repair kit, pump, BB socket, cone spanners, chain set wrench/socket Etc Etc .. Ive never seem a single multitool with any of those on .. the best Ive ever seen are with a chain link remover ... and that's only useful when the chain needs lengthening/shortening ... most chains have a quick release link in them now which will get you out of 50% of chain related problems. I wouldn't mess about with a chain in the field unless I absolutely had to.

sorry to disappoint
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 01:38:23 AM
No disapointment at all... if I didn't want to hear your opinions and thoughts I wouldn't have asked for them! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 02:43:29 AM
I ride a recumbent bicycle and carry a metric Allen hex wrench set and tire pressure gauge along with whatever multitool I have on my belt.
gliss.jpg
* gliss.jpg (Filesize: 28.72 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 04:02:28 PM
Park Tool makes several multis and compact tool sets that look intriguing,if I was far more tech savvy I'd post a link to their website.Speaking of biking tools,I just took possession of a pair of the Wenger Biker knives,as ssoon as I have the need to use one,I'll post a review.
    Vic once had it's Sprtswrench,and now sells  cycling tool kits,containing a Spartan,levers,  wrench,chain rivet tool,and IIRC a patch kit all in a pouch.
BTW,anybody here have a Jamis ? I've settled on the Coda Sport as the one I'm buying this year.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 01:15:40 AM
What's a Jamis? (and while we're on the subject, what's a Coda Sport?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 01:19:58 AM
Jamis are what you wear to bed, and Coda Sport is kind of like Mountain Dew...

:grin:

Def

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 04:44:39 AM
I am an on/off cyclist. As with most of my hobbies I am given to months long bouts of love for particular hobby followed by equally long droughts of hatred. Right now I'm in the middle of a no-bicycle drought due mainly to the fact that I don't have the time to properly true my wheels. I figure once summer gets into full swing I'll be back on the seat speeding down the sidewalks and pissing off the other college students.

Anyway, I do have a multi-tool geared towards cyclist and in short I never really used it.

It's a Crank Brothers Multi-17. I bought it mainly as a back-up for my regular tools (tire levers, spoke wrenches, allen heads, etc.) and it just sat in my seat bag. None of the tools lock, they move in and out of tension fairly regularly but they do work in a pinch if you have nothing better. The only item I used regularly was the chain breaker, mainly because I was too lazy to hunt down a proper tool. I think a better bet would be to just take the necessary specialized bike tools +  good multi-tool and be done with it.

Necessary bike pic:

us Offline Splat

Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 01:02:30 AM
I've been an avid cyclist for the past 4 years. I have the same Crank Brothers tool as Spoonrobot and it's come in handy a few times. I haven't carried it in a couple of seasons though. Too heavy and -usually- the only problems I run into are flat tires. I do a field check on my bike before I go anywhere. Sure, I guess I should just keep it in my pack residing under my saddle but .......  ::)
--
Splat
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 02:37:30 AM
I wonder about how a kydex rig, maybe permanently mounted to the bike would be?  If not mounted directly to the frame somewhere, maybe attached with a hose clamp or something?

Def

us Offline Splat

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 02:43:58 AM
I can't see the need for any type of holster for a tool that size. Most cyclists utilize a pouch under the saddle anyway that also carries a spare tube, maybe an air cartridge, and a spare dollar or two. Usually riders want -less- items, thereby less weight.
Splat

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 02:49:09 AM
Wow, things have changed since I used to ride!  In my day weight was an issue still, but you had to have some equipment bolted to the inside of the frame... couple water bottles, air pump etc.  There was at one time even a full stereo system designed to fit in the triangle... of course that was in the days when CD players were super high tech!

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 04:54:37 AM
Hey that looks like a typical Crank Bros clipless pedal !I like that! Weight is still an issue to many hardcore riders,some I think are even more weight conscious than back-packers.But as for me,there are some things I'll accept the weight penalty for,because I consider them too essential to leave behind.
 Camelbak hydration packs are the thing now for many riders,and as for pumps,if they're like me,carry a pocket inflater that uses a CO2 cartridge like the kind found in pellet and BB guns. Oh and while I'm at it..Jamis is a brand that's highly regarded,not as well known as Trek,Specialized,or Giant,their steel frame bikes are works of beauty in my eye.
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 02:04:32 PM
Avid mountain and road biker here.  I was also a mechanic for several years, and I use the Topeak Alien regularly:

Tools include:
8,9,10mm 12-pt Box Wrenches (stainless)
2,2.5,3,4,5,6 & 8mm Allen Keys
Phillips and Flathead Screwdriver
Universal Chain Tool
2 Spoke Wrenches
10mm socket wrench
2 Tire Levers
Stainless Steel Knife
Bottle Opener (stainless)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:09:54 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 02:08:56 PM
The probalem with bike's and multitool's is that apart from a adjustable spanner and a set of allen keys the things you will need to fix a bike are pretty speSmurfpillst tool's punture repair kit, pump, BB socket, cone spanners, chain set wrench/socket Etc Etc .. Ive never seem a single multitool with any of those on .. the best Ive ever seen are with a chain link remover ... and that's only useful when the chain needs lengthening/shortening ... most chains have a quick release link in them now which will get you out of 50% of chain related problems. I wouldn't mess about with a chain in the field unless I absolutely had to.

Sorry, but I can't really buy into that line of thinking...  I've had to repair broken or bent chains mountain biking in the field MUCH more often than adjust a bottom bracket or bearing cones.  A quick release in a chain is useless if you break a link in the middle of nowhere.

If you're having to adjust your bottom bracket or bearing cones in the field, then you are probably not spending enough time maintaining your bike with 'specialty' cycling tools when you're not in the field.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 03:15:45 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 03:48:38 PM
Have you had a chance to scope out any of Park Tool's multis? They seem to be fairly selective about who is a dealer,the nearest authorized Park Tool dealer is about 70 miles from me,and a bit on the upmarket side. I think the Topeak Alien may well be the most popular cycling multi,and by seeing what it carries onboard,it's easy to see why.
I

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 04:30:39 PM
I do a bit of cycling here and there, none of my bikes are brilliant but they get the job done and i don't have enough money to keep all these hobbies upto date! As for tools, well i tend not to carry them, usually as i'm out with friends who have them with them and it seems pointless doubling up, but when i do, i tend to carry proper tools in a rucksack.

First my road bike, got me from Lands End to our old house (nr Leeds for the UK people) about 400/500 miles last year. And has served me getting around at home quite a bit this holiday.

My MTB. A land rover! not the best but i love this bike, i think it looks a lot more expensive than it is. Pic taken after a little outing at uni.

Ryan
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 04:43:08 PM
 You gotta admire the person that has a Raleigh :) I have semi-vintage Raleigh Wyoming. That MTB has more mud on it than some of the ATVs I've seen coming off the local off-road trails !
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 05:06:19 PM
That MTB has more mud on it than some of the ATVs I've seen coming off the local off-road trails !

Yeh, I can only imagine how much mud was on the rider! Betcha had a wide brown stripe up your back that day?  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 05:21:08 PM
I was indeed covered in mud!!  :grin:
Mud might make it harder to get places but its so much more fun on the way! And you don't notice how bad your forks are when its soggy, much more noticeable in the dry.

The Raleigh is their bottom of the line one, but it was cheap and was there when i needed it and apart from slightly noisy gears its a pretty nice ride.

Ryan
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 05:32:18 PM
Just like a good Jeep, a mountain bike doesn't look right when it's shiny and clean!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 05:40:21 PM
Amen to that!!

I really love my MTB. (Although my wife doesn't seem to always understand how important it is to me!)   :P

* bikelover.jpg (Filesize: 55.46 KB)

us Offline Splat

Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 03:54:34 AM
I do a bit of cycling here and there, none of my bikes are brilliant but they get the job done and i don't have enough money to keep all these hobbies upto date! As for tools, well i tend not to carry them, usually as i'm out with friends who have them with them and it seems pointless doubling up, but when i do, i tend to carry proper tools in a rucksack.

So, you're one of THOSE kinds, eh!  ;)   I used to hate it when riding friends would always rely on me having a spare tube, co2 cartridge, etc., but nowadays it doesn't bother me. I usually ride alone now but do still ride with friends when everyone's schedules permit.

Nice bikes, Ryan. That muddy mtb brings back memories! :)  I've got a Specialized Allez Elite w/Ultegra components and Speedplay stainless Zeros. I'm planning on getting a set of Ksyrium Elites this summer. My mtb bike is a Giant Rainier. I do all road these days but the Giant was my first $$ bike and it's got some sentimental value to it so I still have it.
Splat

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 21, 2007, 05:01:17 AM
I used to mtb allot, it's been years since I last went riding. Looking back it's surprising how much I didn't carry.  Sometimes I went out with nothing but some extra water and a candy bar or two.  The only thing even close to a tool would be a VIC Soldier that I always carried back then.  My old mtb bike looks pretty bad sitting on the back porch covered in dust with two flat tires :cry:
Picture 1323 (Small).jpg
* Picture 1323 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 54.49 KB)
"

Offline knife-man

Reply #25 on: April 28, 2007, 11:06:03 PM
The probalem with bike's and multitool's is that apart from a adjustable spanner and a set of allen keys the things you will need to fix a bike are pretty speSmurfpillst tool's punture repair kit, pump, BB socket, cone spanners, chain set wrench/socket Etc Etc .. Ive never seem a single multitool with any of those on .. the best Ive ever seen are with a chain link remover ... and that's only useful when the chain needs lengthening/shortening ... most chains have a quick release link in them now which will get you out of 50% of chain related problems. I wouldn't mess about with a chain in the field unless I absolutely had to.

Sorry, but I can't really buy into that line of thinking...  I've had to repair broken or bent chains mountain biking in the field MUCH more often than adjust a bottom bracket or bearing cones.  A quick release in a chain is useless if you break a link in the middle o nowhere.

If you're having to adjust your bottom bracket or bearing cones in the field, then you are probably not spending enough time maintaining your bike with 'specialty' cycling tools when you're not in the field.

In m,y long years of biking and working in bike shop's Ive never seen a chain break without a obvious cause .. such as a bad repair or a overly worn chain .. both of which should be noticed before it becomes a problem. Do bear in mind that a bike chain should have been tested to take a load up to 300 KG when correctly maintained.

I didn't say you would need a cone spanner or BB tool In the feild, but rather that a set of allen key's and a adjustable spanner ( and a chain link tool possibly l) will serve you as well as most of the cycle multitool's out there possibly even better .
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 29, 2007, 12:45:39 AM

Sorry, but I can't really buy into that line of thinking...  I've had to repair broken or bent chains mountain biking in the field MUCH more often than adjust a bottom bracket or bearing cones.  A quick release in a chain is useless if you break a link in the middle o nowhere.

In m,y long years of biking and working in bike shop's Ive never seen a chain break without a obvious cause .. such as a bad repair or a overly worn chain .. both of which should be noticed before it becomes a problem. Do bear in mind that a bike chain should have been tested to take a load up to 300 KG when correctly maintained.

I didn't say you would need a cone spanner or BB tool In the feild, but rather that a set of allen key's and a adjustable spanner ( and a chain link tool possibly l) will serve you as well as most of the cycle multitool's out there possibly even better .
I won't argue with you,it is true that nothing will ever beat a dedicated tool for the job,and I also bow to your experience,but many cyclists prefer to ride as light ( in weight and volume)as possible,and that is where a multi begins to shine. Welcome to the forum,and make yourself at home.
I

Offline knife-man

Reply #27 on: April 29, 2007, 02:53:36 AM

I won't argue with you,it is true that nothing will ever beat a dedicated tool for the job,and I also bow to your experience,but many cyclists prefer to ride as light ( in weight and volume)as possible,and that is where a multi begins to shine. Welcome to the forum,and make yourself at home.

This is where we will agree to differ.

Personally I prefer the Allen key's and spanner and most defiantly a spoke wrench something which allot of multi tool's skip over (and forget or put hard to use or impossible to use ones on)but can be a god send for a "get me home" solution(and possibly a chain link tool) because I wear a bag which is usually half empty anyway (so Im not pressed for space) and I'm not weight orientated rider .

But then again If I was a weight and space orientated rider I would probably go down the multi tool route.

It's also worth bearing in mind I used to ride with other people who had different bikes to me and didn't have the knowledge or tool's to fix them .. something simple like a "old fashioned" wheel nut being loose can end a ride early if your multi tool doesn't have a 15MM spanner. Then again like other's have said if you can convince someone else to carry the kit then you may as wel load the whole toolbox onto them  :D

Different people, Different riding styles, different group's of rider's .. we cant all be expected to agree all the time .. thats what makes forum's interesting  :)
[

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: April 29, 2007, 05:21:49 AM
Some of  the riders,I've encountered couldn't even be bothered with carrying  a spare tube,patch kit,and levers !
I

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 02:02:44 PM

I rarely repaired a chain due to breakage or twisting when I worked at the shop either.  What I repaired at the shop is beside the point though, because I wouldn't use a multitool at the shop, but rather the more specialized tools.  Chains break or twist frequently on mountain bikes, and I have repaired them in the field many times.  True, they take a huge load along one axis, but not a heavy side load.  All it takes is a branch to be kicked up into the rear derailleur or cassette to induce twisting or breakage.  What happens when you twist your quick-release link?  You won't be using it any more.  Also, If that branch that gets kicked up severely bends, or rips your rear derailleur off (which I've also seen and experienced several times), again, your quick-release link is worthless, as you have to shorten your chain and run a single gear.

I find that the Topeak Alien multitool, along with a patch kit, spare tube or two and pump or CO2 carts covers most of the bases for mountain biking.  It also has most of the tools that you mentioned you like to carry (spoke wrenches, allen keys, chain tool, tire levers, etc.) minus the 15mm spanner, which I have no need for. 

FWIW, I carry a lighter kit on the road bike, and I don't tend to bring tools to fix other people's bikes, but concentrate more on my own.  Most of the folks I ride with are current or ex-bike shop employees and likewise take care of their own needs. 

You're right--it does matter what type of riding you're doing and who you're riding with, and even the terrain you're riding on.  It also matters how your bike is built.  For instance, you mention an adjustable spanner, but there's very little on any of my bikes that it would be handy for.  The only fastener on my mountain bike that requires a spanner of any sort are the wheel bearing cones and locknuts.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 01:40:31 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24