Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can you strip a powerAssist ?

Dunc · 4 · 1255

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Can you strip a powerAssist ?
on: June 17, 2009, 11:32:28 PM
One of the benefits of SOGs is that you can undo the bolts and strip them for tool/blade replacement and servicing . Has anyone done a takedown on the assisted blade handle, does SOG advise this or will it void your Waranty ?

Dunc

Offline DJB71

Re: Can you strip a powerAssist ?
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:28:09 AM
I have explored this option, and no you cant.

There is the plastic spring housing, once i pulled the bolt i assumed it would all drop out but the spring housing is located in the handle by the
blade stop pin, it just wont budge.

I am dissapointed,the only reason i wanted to get into it was to lube and shim it on the serrated side as it has play which you cant cancel
by tightening the bolt, just slows down the blades!

I slipped in a shim but its not thin enough, i had .015mm but it calls for .010mm.

Good thing the main blade locks up tight otherwise i would be really annoyed you cant pull it apart.

My satin powerassist is almost too shiny to use, so i just tote it around the house!!
My Wave is the beater for work.

I think the Power Assist is an innovation although i would have done a few thing different regarding its design.
Bring on a PPP version (mini PA!!)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:23:37 AM
I have explored this option, and no you cant.

There is the plastic spring housing, once i pulled the bolt i assumed it would all drop out but the spring housing is located in the handle by the
blade stop pin, it just wont budge.

I am dissapointed,the only reason i wanted to get into it was to lube and shim it on the serrated side as it has play which you cant cancel
by tightening the bolt, just slows down the blades!

I slipped in a shim but its not thin enough, i had .015mm but it calls for .010mm.

Good thing the main blade locks up tight otherwise i would be really annoyed you cant pull it apart.

My satin powerassist is almost too shiny to use, so i just tote it around the house!!
My Wave is the beater for work.

I think the Power Assist is an innovation although i would have done a few thing different regarding its design.
Bring on a PPP version (mini PA!!)

I'll second that motion :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:27:00 AM
I suppose its like that on purpose to stop people from tinkering and running the risk of not assembling the safety catch correctly or even leaving it out .

Dunc

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD