Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

It's here, it's here it's here!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
It's here, it's here it's here!!!!
on: June 18, 2009, 01:49:00 AM
My CT34 came in today!! Thank's to Felinevet for getting it here quicker than I expected  :cheers:

My initial thoughts: Should have gone with the 41. Why? The 34 is actually a whole lot lighter and a bit smaller than I was expecting. I could EASILY EDC the 41 no problem. In fact it would actually feel more comfortable in my hand if it were a bit wider. It feels a bit too narrow for me to get a comfy grip on, I think the one extra layer would have been perfect.

It is a beautiful tool. Pics don't do it justice. Obviously the craftsmanship is essentially perfect. The overall design really is ingenious. Kinda wish the bits fit a bit tighter, and the spare bit holder would've been nice if it were metal as opposed to the plastic. No real biggie though. Any complaints beyond that are just my usual SAK issues:no locking blades, useless "wire cutter", etc.

Overall it really is an excellent tool. Very well though out. Easily the best all around design I've ever seen on a SAK. One of the best Multi's. as well. For a light duty EDC (no to mention it's originally conceived IT use) it appears to be an awesome tool. For it's intended purpose, it's about perfect. Can't wait to start using it along side the SURGE! Though a part of me already wants to sell it and get a 41 instead, I gotta remind myself that the idea of a non-locking saw scares the crap outta me, I have a better file on the SURGE, and zero use for a chisel. I think it'll make a great companion to the SURGE, and for those days when I wanna go lightweight but still not feel naked, it'll be damn fine in place of the SURGE.

Besides, should the day come that I feel I MUST have a file, and maybe a magnifying glass, and who knows what else: that's what mods are for  :tu:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: It's here, it's here it's here!!!!
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:09:16 AM
Glad you like it mate.  As to SAK saws I really wouldn't worry.  I've used them quite a lot on various woods and plastic and it never even occurred to me there might be a chance of it folding on me.  I'll carry on using them without any concern.  let us know how the combo works out for you after you've had a chance to try it out.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:21:51 AM
Oh I will for sure. I really think the combo will work nicely. It's light enough though that it may go on my keychain. May be annoying if it keeps hitting my in the knee while driving though, we'll have to see.

On the topic of potentially modding it, do the saw and file typically take up one layer or two? I may be able to get a donor and if I added a file, and kept the saw installed on the SURGE I would have everything. I also kinda want the magnifying glass too though, so where could one be installed?

Damn, my foot slipped. For some reason this slope I'm on feels awfully slippery all of a sudden...

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 02:23:22 AM
Glad you like it mate.  As to SAK saws I really wouldn't worry.  I've used them quite a lot on various woods and plastic and it never even occurred to me there might be a chance of it folding on me.  I'll carry on using them without any concern.  let us know how the combo works out for you after you've had a chance to try it out.  :tu:

+1 on the non-locking SAK saws.  I've only ever had one close on my hand, and that was when I was cocking around with it  ::)

When using it properly it has always worked excellently.  Cuts through living and dead wood very well and has never closed unintentionally.  Very good saws all told.

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:22:19 AM
My CT34 came in today!! Thank's to Felinevet for getting it here quicker than I expected  :cheers:

My initial thoughts: Should have gone with the 41. Why? The 34 is actually a whole lot lighter and a bit smaller than I was expecting. I could EASILY EDC the 41 no problem. In fact it would actually feel more comfortable in my hand if it were a bit wider. It feels a bit too narrow for me to get a comfy grip on, I think the one extra layer would have been perfect.

Besides, should the day come that I feel I MUST have a file, and maybe a magnifying glass, and who knows what else: that's what mods are for  :tu:

Don't be afraid to mod it. I took a CT 29 driver and added it to a Champion. For some of my work I prefer the redundancy of the dual phillips. 
This is a really bad photo , but it shows a stock CT 41 on the left and the Cyber-Champion on the right. Both are the same size as a SwissChamp as well. I really like this size of SAK's.  :D

"

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:36:01 AM
Yeah I just read Gareth's how to in the mod section. Doesn't seem to hard if I can find a donor. From what I see just adding in the file is a piece of cake. I'd like to maybe add the mag glass too. Guess that would make it a CT 37? And as purty as the sapphire scales are, from what I hear they get scratched up pretty quick, and I can see how. Maybe swap 'em out with something else.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:40:49 AM by thebullfrog »

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:11:06 AM
I was able to find a used CT 29 on E-Bay for roughly $30.00. Gareth is a modding genuis, but we can all aspire to that level of consciousness. The journey of a million miles starts with a single footstep.  :D

My favorite scales are quickly becoming the Stayglo scales, although I thought they were tacky as all hell before.
"

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:17:38 AM
Yeah, I'd love a set of Stayglo's but they seem hard to find, and I'm not sure if you can get them in the "plus" version with the pen. I like the pen lol. Considering all I want really is the file a Montaineer or something similar would work. I'm sure I could nab one cheap, get some brass and probably black scales from rotokid and have at it. If I do decide to undertake the project it won't happen for some time though.

gp Offline Nightshade

Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 04:34:32 AM
All of my stayglow scales came from FelineVet. The first pair I attempted turning into plus scales I buggered up big time :-\ :cry:  I used a dremel and cut all the openings a tad too big. The second set turned out fine. The Stayglow scales have a grippy texture to them. Some people don't like feel. I was amazed at how long they will glow. It's easy to use them as a illuminated scroll while reading a paperback novel in otherwise total darkness.
"

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 04:43:11 AM
That's awesome, now I want even more! Too bad I have nowhere near the dexterity to effectively mod the scales. It's the kind of thing I'd feel better commissioning out to one of our veteran modders. 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 06:03:36 AM
Glad you like it mate :)

As to the saw's, well I use mine almost everyday, and I've never had one fold on me :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 12:36:06 PM
It's interesting everyone keeps saying that. The idea of a collapsible saw sounds sketchy as Hell to me. Hmm, maybe I'm just being paranoid over nothing. Who knows, maybe my next purchase down the line will be a CT41. Or a champ. Then I'll combine the two... oh dear, slipping down the slope again  :climber:

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 03:38:26 PM
I think the saw is meant to be used in 1 direction, pulled toward the user, eliminating the folding up possibility.

PS, if you want a CT41 amazon is still having $10 off promo until 6/21, its about $42 w free s&H.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 03:45:58 PM
Ooooh don't tempt me like that  :twak:

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 06:41:56 PM
I think the saw is meant to be used in 1 direction, pulled toward the user, eliminating the folding up possibility.

PS, if you want a CT41 amazon is still having $10 off promo until 6/21, its about $42 w free s&H.

That sounds like a good deal.  :tu:  BTW Vic saws cut on both the push and the pull.  One of the common bits of damage you see on second hand SAKs is a bent saw.  That says to me that you are more likely to bend it to one side than have it come back at your fingers.  The spring on the saw holds it in place so well I just can't see it happening.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2009, 07:03:33 PM

That sounds like a good deal.  :tu:  BTW Vic saws cut on both the push and the pull.  One of the common bits of damage you see on second hand SAKs is a bent saw.  That says to me that you are more likely to bend it to one side than have it come back at your fingers.  The spring on the saw holds it in place so well I just can't see it happening.
+1 :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 11:37:08 PM
thought I read that about the saw somewhere, but I can't recall. If you keep your fingers on the scales you should have no problem, just a little less leverage.

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 10:08:10 AM
Rotokid had Stayglow Plus scales for sale for a while.  Perhaps he still does.
R

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD