Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's the fascination with farmer?

jzmtl · 196 · 23992

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Re: What's the fascination with farmer?
Reply #180 on: July 17, 2015, 06:46:09 PM

ME CURRENTLY
City SAK - Rambler and/or Climber
Outdoor, wilderness, hiking, camping, yard work, fire, etc SAK -  Rambler and/or Farmer

I could never carry just a Farmer everyday. I would miss scissors too much.
Your Rambler covers the scissors, does it not? My city edc is similar to yours. Manager + Spartan, because I do want scissors, but I don't want two pairs of scissors.

us Offline mrog

Reply #181 on: July 17, 2015, 08:31:41 PM

ME CURRENTLY
Outdoor, wilderness, hiking, camping, yard work, fire, etc SAK -  Rambler and/or Farmer

Your Rambler covers the scissors, does it not? My city edc is similar to yours. Manager + Spartan, because I do want scissors, but I don't want two pairs of scissors.

I don't always have my keys (rambler). For example - when my friend is the designated driver, I leave my keys at home, and just carry the Climber.
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #182 on: July 17, 2015, 08:55:13 PM

ME CURRENTLY

I don't always have my keys (rambler). For example - when my friend is the designated driver, I leave my keys at home, and just carry the Climber.
Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering if you had some reason to want both sizes of scissors on you. When I'm at home, and need scissors, I will reach for the larger pair on my Huntsman, but when I'm out and about, 58mm scissors are plenty good enough. Most people go through life with out carrying any scissors on them. Can you imagine that?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #183 on: July 17, 2015, 08:58:08 PM

Most people go through life with out carrying any scissors on them. Can you imagine that?

Wait, what?!

us Offline mrog

Reply #184 on: July 17, 2015, 09:09:04 PM

Most people go through life with out carrying any scissors on them. Can you imagine that?

Wait, what?!

:rofl:
"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read."

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #185 on: August 23, 2016, 11:25:36 PM
To me the big deal with the Farmer, and with any Alox, is that you know it will last for a while.

A regular SAK with plastic sides simply won't. The cellidor sides will easily be scratched and it can also break.For this reason I do find cellidor knives to be somewhat cheap, even though I know they are quality built. It's the one thing I completely disagree with Victorinox in their production strategy

I mean this is not the kind of knife I would give to my son or my grandson in heritage. I would however give him an Alox.

I personally chose the Harvester which is a variant of the Farmer. I'm looking to buy a Hiker but I do wish they had an Alox version

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #186 on: August 24, 2016, 12:30:17 AM
The Hikers are cool!!!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #187 on: August 24, 2016, 04:23:50 AM
To me the big deal with the Farmer, and with any Alox, is that you know it will last for a while.

A regular SAK with plastic sides simply won't. The cellidor sides will easily be scratched and it can also break.For this reason I do find cellidor knives to be somewhat cheap, even though I know they are quality built. It's the one thing I completely disagree with Victorinox in their production strategy

I mean this is not the kind of knife I would give to my son or my grandson in heritage. I would however give him an Alox.

I personally chose the Harvester which is a variant of the Farmer. I'm looking to buy a Hiker but I do wish they had an Alox version

Agree mucho.

Makes me happy every time I use my 60's era OC Farmer that is still going strong.

us Offline Boonies

• No Life Club
Reply #188 on: August 24, 2016, 05:54:22 AM

Gee B......there is a kind of Alox Hiker.....just doesn't have the back tools and is 84mm vs. 91mm.  It's called a Cadet II Plus or Micro-Farmer or Mini-Farmer.....Hiker on top in the picture.....your wish is granted.   😛

image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 296.63 KB)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 06:01:07 AM by Boonies »

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #189 on: August 24, 2016, 01:38:38 PM
Yeh, but the cross head screw driver is a big plus for me on the Hiker. it covers all kind of screws. I actually used to have a Camper model and the Hiker replaces the corkscrew with such a useful tool.

But yes the Farmer, and more generally the Alox SAK,  are beautiful.

I'm not specifically pro environmentalism, nor would I fight with Greenpeace but i'm just having a hard time with plastic in general. It ruins everything and has never been a noble materials in my opinion. That's why i'm having a hard time having a piece of plastic on an EDC knife. And that's why I love Alox SAK.

But I don't have much choice. And unfortunately Victorinox does not seem to want to grow the Alox family. This is the one thing that I would if I were placed over there as a CEO :)

For now, a good compromise would be a Small-sized Spirit... But that's another debate right ? :)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #190 on: August 24, 2016, 02:03:22 PM
Yeh, but the cross head screw driver is a big plus for me on the Hiker. it covers all kind of screws. I actually used to have a Camper model and the Hiker replaces the corkscrew with such a useful tool.

I'm not specifically pro environmentalism, nor would I fight with Greenpeace but i'm just having a hard time with plastic in general. It ruins everything and has never been a noble materials in my opinion. That's why i'm having a hard time having a piece of plastic on an EDC knife. And that's why I love Alox SAK.

But I don't have much choice. And unfortunately Victorinox does not seem to want to grow the Alox family. This is the one thing that I would if I were placed over there as a CEO :)

For now, a good compromise would be a Small-sized Spirit... But that's another debate right ? :)

Cellidor isn't too bad as plastic goes....

CELLIDOR® – the alternative cellulose ester.

CELLIDOR® is an organic, thermoplastic cellulose ester which consists of approximately 45% cellulose, a renewable natural material. This means that, unlike traditional plastics, it is only partially dependent on finite fossil fuel resources. Not least because of its outstanding property profile, CELLIDOR® can already look back on over 100 years of market success: it combines the classic strengths of a thermoplastic with the advantages of a bio-plastic.

http://www.albis.com/en/products-solutions/products-brands/cellidor/
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #191 on: August 24, 2016, 03:24:18 PM
Thanks for the info SAK Guy - There's something to learn every day on this site!  :cheers:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

fr Offline Gee.B

Reply #192 on: August 24, 2016, 04:03:33 PM
Oh i'm sure it's not too bad in terms of plastic. But it's still plastic and i personally do not find that very attractive at all. as it is At least i'd rather have them have this Celllidor look like it was piece of wood, that is brown with fake rainures. At least i'd have the illusion :)

CELLIDOR® is an organic, thermoplastic cellulose ester which consists of approximately 45% cellulose, a renewable natural material. This means that, unlike traditional plastics, it is only partially dependent on finite fossil fuel resources. Not least because of its outstanding property profile, CELLIDOR® can already look back on over 100 years of market success: it combines the classic strengths of a thermoplastic with the advantages of a bio-plastic.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #193 on: August 24, 2016, 04:09:51 PM
Oh i'm sure it's not too bad in terms of plastic. But it's still plastic and i personally do not find that very attractive at all. as it is At least i'd rather have them have this Celllidor look like it was piece of wood, that is brown with fake rainures. At least i'd have the illusion :)

What about yellow plastic? Gorgeous!
WP_20160815_001 by magpie2112, on Flickr
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #194 on: August 24, 2016, 06:15:39 PM
Thanks for the info SAK Guy - There's something to learn every day on this site!  :cheers:

:salute: You're very welcome!!!
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

au Online Brock O Lee

Reply #195 on: August 24, 2016, 08:57:27 PM
... i'm just having a hard time with plastic in general. It ruins everything and has never been a noble materials in my opinion. That's why i'm having a hard time having a piece of plastic on an EDC knife. And that's why I love Alox SAK.

Yeah same here... I like the Farmer, but the Pioneer makes more sense as EDC (these days it's the Pioneer X for me). I agree that the OHT platform makes more sense for outdoor adventures.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%