Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can-openers?

Poll

Do you like having th can opener on you multi

YES
NO
Depends

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Re: Can-openers?
Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 07:54:55 PM
Depends...

...on if it is designed well enough to be usable like on the Swiss knives...or if it is just a can-opener shaped piece of carp... :P

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 08:04:03 PM
Depends...

...on if it is designed well enough to be usable like on the Swiss knives...or if it is just a can-opener shaped piece of carp... :P

I've never tried to open a can with a bit of fish...  >:D

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #32 on: June 30, 2009, 01:13:43 AM
Well I am glad I posted this poll, I liked hearing the points, you guys did not change my opinion BUT it was cool.
Peace

us Offline Deere Man

Reply #33 on: June 30, 2009, 08:30:24 AM
I personally like having it on my multitool, just in case.  I have no intrest in a dedicated can opener though.  I prefer the Leatherman style ones that double as a bottle opener, as to save space because it's certainly one of the least used tools on my multitools.  I don't eat canned food out of the house, and I don't drink much beer, but it comes in handy every few months and that's enough for me.  I do keep a Camillus military issue pocket knife in the kitchen that I use to open cans instead of our fancy can opener.... just because.  The can opener on that knife is wicked.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #34 on: June 30, 2009, 08:45:07 AM
I use the can opener, when I can not find my P-51. But on the LM Wave or Charge I`d rather have an Awl than a can opener. I voted yes as the can opener does come in handy all to often.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #35 on: June 30, 2009, 12:07:51 PM
I agree I think a can opener has its place or ya on certain tools, what annoys me is the work horse ones like the wave or surge having them work tools, rescue tools, EDCs, survival, ect need a stronger lines in divideing the them.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #36 on: June 30, 2009, 05:38:30 PM
I personally like having it on my multitool, just in case.  I have no intrest in a dedicated can opener though.  I prefer the Leatherman style ones that double as a bottle opener, as to save space because it's certainly one of the least used tools on my multitools.  I don't eat canned food out of the house, and I don't drink much beer, but it comes in handy every few months and that's enough for me.  I do keep a Camillus military issue pocket knife in the kitchen that I use to open cans instead of our fancy can opener.... just because.  The can opener on that knife is wicked.

Welcome to the forum.  :tu:

I'd like the LM can opener/bottle opener if it actually opened any of the bottles I wanted it to.  ::)  It just doesn't fit on the cack I drink.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #37 on: June 30, 2009, 06:11:45 PM

With the cans we sometimes end up using, the large size of them is too great to fit in the electric can opener, or simply to awkward, that's when I turn to my P-51 most often, but it's nice to know the multitool that's nearby can also open it.

Just as an FYI, Deere Man, I'd probably suggest getting a cheap Victorinox SAK to replace your Camillus Demo knife; the backsprings are made out of knife steel and are prone to breaking /much/ quicker than would be expected.  Plus, you'll definitely save your nails, as the Demo knife has killed mine; for the record, the Demo knife is now a drawer queen. *nods*

us Offline django.cj

Reply #38 on: June 30, 2009, 06:19:11 PM
Absolutely.  I actually don't have a standard can opener (it broke) and the ones on my SAKs or Leatherman work just fine.  I don't see the need to spend more $ on a new one.

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #39 on: July 01, 2009, 02:02:19 AM
One bottle opener I do really like tho is the one on the skeletool.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:38:06 AM by darkhawk »

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #40 on: July 01, 2009, 02:18:18 AM
For me a SAK is all about eating, opening cans, lifting bottle caps, pulling corks, cutting cheese and not forgetting the toothpick for afters, so yes I needs the can opener.  I'd feel like it wasn'e a SAK with out one.

Not so keen to see an opener on a multi thought unless it does something else too

"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #41 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10:44 AM
For me a SAK is all about eating, opening cans, lifting bottle caps, pulling corks, cutting cheese and not forgetting the toothpick for afters

The only things missing are a knife and fork.   It continues to baffle me that Vic doesn't make a hobo.
R

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #42 on: July 01, 2009, 02:19:10 PM
I was saying the same thing the other day, give me the can, bottle, knife, fork, spoon, cork screw, orange pealer (you know they have one)
I would want it and if not for anything else than for the collection

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 05:47:34 PM
I have had an irrational fear of being deserted with only canned food without a can opener.
I have the same irrational fear. A can opener is a MUST HAVE implement.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 02, 2009, 11:17:39 PM
I have had an irrational fear of being deserted with only canned food without a can opener.
I have the same irrational fear. A can opener is a MUST HAVE implement.

I suffer from the same thing. I'm also afraid of being unable to drink wine through lack of a corkscrew.
Prone to daydreaming.

Offline sappyg

Reply #45 on: July 03, 2009, 03:33:54 PM
i'm a big fan of the SAK can opener. it has'nt been often but there have been times when it was the only solution for me.
also, i sharpen the verticle edge of the can opener so that it can be used like a type of hook..... pull knife. come to think it, the can opener is one of the most usefull, must have peace of mind tools on a SAK IMHO. 
i

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #46 on: July 03, 2009, 04:45:01 PM
A can opener is mostly useless to me and only takes up space in my MTs.
I rarely ever need to open a can and those i do need to open have pull tabs on them.

A bottle opener is the most useless thing on a MT. Who cant open a bottle with a lighter? And if you can do that you also can do it with the pliers.

I sometimes read, that someone suggest that an outdoor-MT needs a can opener. I think thats bullsmurf as cans are far to heavy to be taken on a hike and if you still want them its no problem to buy those which have pull tabs.

Im glad my skeletool doesn't have either can nor bottle opener (carabiner was ripped of).
T - `cause i like tea :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #47 on: July 03, 2009, 05:04:12 PM
A can opener is mostly useless to me and only takes up space in my MTs.
I rarely ever need to open a can and those i do need to open have pull tabs on them.

A bottle opener is the most useless thing on a MT. Who cant open a bottle with a lighter? And if you can do that you also can do it with the pliers.

I sometimes read, that someone suggest that an outdoor-MT needs a can opener. I think thats bullColorful Enunciation as cans are far to heavy to be taken on a hike and if you still want them its no problem to buy those which have pull tabs.

Im glad my skeletool doesn't have either can nor bottle opener (carabiner was ripped of).

For me a bottle opener is a must.  Can easily live without a can opener though.
I'm back!!

ca Offline darkhawk

Reply #48 on: July 04, 2009, 12:45:50 PM
I actually had was thinking who need a bottle opener when you have folding pliers and ya not hard to do with them
dedication of a 2 whole spots on a edc is still just not worth it and i dont even want to think about my fears of no corkscrew.  Im glad its easier to get tools with out them.

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #49 on: July 04, 2009, 05:11:11 PM
I never miss the corkscrew. I like drinking wine, though.
I still can open the wine bottles pretty easily as i always have some woodscrews with me. Just screw them into the cork and pull it out with the pliers. Works.
The woodscrews are stored in my wallet next to the leatherman bits.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: July 04, 2009, 07:38:04 PM
I never miss the corkscrew. I like drinking wine, though.
I still can open the wine bottles pretty easily as i always have some woodscrews with me. Just screw them into the cork and pull it out with the pliers. Works.
The woodscrews are stored in my wallet next to the leatherman bits.

Good tip that :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #51 on: July 12, 2009, 09:57:41 PM
I still can open the wine bottles pretty easily as i always have some woodscrews with me.

How bizarre I was having the no corkscrew talk with a gent at work last night and he had a similar solution except he didn't carry wood screws with him.

He just robbed a long screw out of a door hinge where ever he was staying to open corks. (yes he could always ask for a corkscrew at reception but he liked the self sufficiency thing, even if he was staying in a hotel)  :cheers:

"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: July 12, 2009, 10:16:03 PM
I still can open the wine bottles pretty easily as i always have some woodscrews with me.

How bizarre I was having the no corkscrew talk with a gent at work last night and he had a similar solution except he didn't carry wood screws with him.

He just robbed a long screw out of a door hinge where ever he was staying to open corks. (yes he could always ask for a corkscrew at reception but he liked the self sufficiency thing, even if he was staying in a hotel)  :cheers:

I think that's rather a good idea.  :D :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline Wetdog

Reply #53 on: July 12, 2009, 10:31:28 PM
I could do without corkscrews, can openers, and bottle openers.  I'd rather have drivers or small blades instead.

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #54 on: July 12, 2009, 10:42:25 PM
having some woodscrews with you is nice from time to time.
I always use "Spax" Torx 10, 3x40mm screws. Those are small enough to fit in my wallet and they drill themselves through wood fairly easily as they have a special drilling part at the tip.
Torx is excellent as its autocentering and wont fall of the bit which is important if you are trying to reach distant places.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $56.34
PayPal Fees: $2.74
Net Balance: $53.60
Below Goal: $246.40
Site Currency: USD