Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SAK's - Corkscrew or Phillips?

Benner · 295 · 34898

Poll

Which do you prefer on the backspring of your SAK's?

Corkscrew
137 (46.4%)
Phillips
129 (43.7%)
I have no preference
29 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 286

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: SAK's - Corkscrew or Phillips?
Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 01:01:55 AM
Neither! Viva alox 93s!

In my opinion the only backtool on a 91 that makes sense is the awl.  But thats inline on an alox.. so.. I dont have much use for T handled tools.  I know some people actually use the corkscrew, but Ive never had a need.

If anyone has phillips backside tools they wish were corkscrews, Id happily mod those for free.  :D  I have about 10 million corkscrews, but much prefer having the phillips for mods.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline KiwiMark

Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 06:38:09 AM
I like the in-line Phillips and I like my Cybertool, but I don't like the back layer Phillips so I'd rather have the corkscrew with micro screwdriver.
"Mr. Carl Elsener and his Victorinox brand of knives is the undisputed king of knives in the world today."

- Sal Glesser (Bladeforums - 8 Jan 2011)

gb Offline frjack

• Occasionally harmless... when asleep!
Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:04 AM
Corkscrew... for el vino collapso.  MOAR BOOZAHOL!!!
FrJ

Question the nature of your orders.

Do unto others as they would do to you...
But get the <bleeps> first!

Sent from my lapdog, using teh interwebs

de Offline Storky

• A happy fart never comes from a miserable ass.
Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 09:12:27 AM
Corksrew + micro flathead driver  :tu:

I have about 10 million corkscrews, ...

Resale them to Victorinox  ;)  :whistle:

Regards

Markus

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 01:52:26 PM
Neither! Viva alox 93s!

In my opinion the only backtool on a 91 that makes sense is the awl.  But thats inline on an alox.. so.. I dont have much use for T handled tools.  I know some people actually use the corkscrew, but Ive never had a need.

If anyone has phillips backside tools they wish were corkscrews, Id happily mod those for free.  :D  I have about 10 million corkscrews, but much prefer having the phillips for mods.

The only reason I started EDCing ALOX models was cause I made myself a Twistick out of spare SAK parts. :D Maybe recycle them and give them as freebies to frequent customers or extra for a few bucks. And my/Neil's design doesn't even require you to take it of the keyring unlike the original. :P
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 01:54:34 PM by enki_ck »

hr Offline styx

Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 02:40:37 PM
Enki might have given you a great suggestion there.
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 04:07:16 PM
Neither! Viva alox 93s!

The only reason I started EDCing ALOX models was cause I made myself a Twistick out of spare SAK parts. :D Maybe recycle them and give them as freebies to frequent customers or extra for a few bucks. And my/Neil's design doesn't even require you to take it of the keyring unlike the original. :P

Yes for sure that is a clever use of parts!  I never made one for myself since I dont need it, but Im sure others could use one.  Maybe I'll toss in some parts in the next BO run for BO twisticks for something different.  10 million might be a slight over exaggeration :D , but for sure over 100 in brand new condition.

If you use a large split ring for keys, would just putting the corkscrew right on the split ring work for opening wine, or would that not give enough leverage?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 04:19:00 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 04:25:35 PM
I think you would stretch out the splitring but I'll try it come weekend. ;)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 07:42:53 PM
If you use a large split ring for keys, would just putting the corkscrew right on the split ring work for opening wine, or would that not give enough leverage?

Twist it into the cork is easy, but I don't think anyone can pull the cork out with just a split ring short of those "my arm is bigger than your leg" guys.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:18 PM
I don't know anymore.
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #70 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:17 PM
K-Tibbs

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 05:03:30 AM
I don't believe it.
Having placed my vote fairly and squarely in the corkscrew camp - I have just been caught out.
Was at work yesterday and a cupboard door had come off and needed fixing.
Had my current most popular EDC - Wenger Traveller with me
- So no Phillips backspring and also no Viccy can opener with flat Phillips either.
I tried the tip of the nail file - Which I see Wenger claim is a Phillips - But it was not up to the job with the large screws - Not even close
Wenger could make that file tip a much more efective Phillips by making the tip slightly less pointy - In fact like their regular flat Phillips - But that is probably a moot point now -  :(

Hmm - Might have to rethink Phillips backspring allegiance and/or EDC!!
I don't like coming across every day tool challenges/jobs that my SAK cannot fix!!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 05:53:37 AM
I don't like coming across every day tool challenges/jobs that my SAK cannot fix!!

Owning and having carried both, it is my belief that the Vic analogue to the Wenger Traveler, the Climber, is a superior option.  The only feature I sometimes miss from the Traveler is the nail file.  Traveler vs. Climber...perhaps an idea for another thread, if it hasn't already been done.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #73 on: September 26, 2013, 06:02:32 AM

Owning and having carried both, it is my belief that the Vic analogue to the Wenger Traveler, the Climber, is a superior option.  The only feature I sometimes miss from the Traveler is the nail file.  Traveler vs. Climber...perhaps an idea for another thread, if it hasn't already been done.

Oh that would be a good thread :tu:  I have neither of those SAKs, but I do have the EvoGrip 16, which is the same as the Traveler, only with the Phillips instead of the corkscrew.  I'm not a fan of the T-handle Phillips though, and while the can opener is nice and pointy/sharp, I prefer the Vic's due to it's use as a phillips.  However, I do like having the nailfile on the EG16.  Overall though, I think I'd have to agree with the Climber having the edge there. 
K-Tibbs

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 10:31:37 AM
Neither
I rarely need  a corkscrew (about once every light-year) and besides there are many ways to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew.
The Phillips I find practically useless due to its position.
And I always us the knife when I need a tiny screwdriver.

It seems that a lot of people like the corkscrew for its capability to hold the eyeglass screwdriver and not really the corkscrew by itself.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 01:12:38 PM
Corkscrew for me. Apart from the disadvantages I see in the backspring Philips -not much pressure/torque possible, limited access due to T-handle, doesn't fit many screws- it seems "normal" to me that every SAK has a corkscrew. I found out they make them with the backsping Philips about two years ago.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

Offline marcclarke

Reply #76 on: October 02, 2013, 05:00:42 PM
Phillips.

Offline Foos

Reply #77 on: October 23, 2013, 06:22:31 PM
Another corkscrew preference here. Love being able to carry the eyeglass screwdriver. And so many models have the can opener with the driver that can handle many philips screws.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: October 23, 2013, 07:00:11 PM
ALOX ALL THE WAY!

But if I’m going with celidor, then the corkscrew because it holds the eyeglass driver. The corkscrew can also can be used to loosen knots, or serve as a pokey thingy.   

A T-mounted  phillips is pretty useless. The darn thing collapse when you use it, and the T-handle limits your ability to reach screws. Example: screws on a doorknob asembly. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:02:39 PM by shamus »

Offline Foos

Reply #79 on: October 23, 2013, 07:03:06 PM
Very - I find the tendency of the backspring philips to buckle under pressure more of a nuisance than the fact that it doesn't have much reach. But that certainly doesn't help.

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #80 on: October 23, 2013, 07:09:50 PM
Corkscrew and an inline philips. I tend to carry the Swisschamp so I have the best of both worlds.

If I take my Spartan then I make sure I have some other tools on me.
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #81 on: October 23, 2013, 07:58:53 PM
The corkscrew is more versatile. That's one of the reasons I didn't switch back to my Evo s18 after ths Huntsman challenge.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: October 24, 2013, 06:59:21 PM
Both , this is why my Explorer is my SAK of choice

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: October 24, 2013, 08:03:28 PM

Yes but who needs to carry a flipping magnifying glass? The Explorer looks pretty useful, but it looks like something 12 year old boys get for Xmas.

I don't know why Victorinox are so hostile to Philips screwsdrivers. Flat head screws are a thing of the past. Nobody since 1950 has willingly purchased a pack of them. Every single item in the modern world is held together with Philips head screws (or Torx). Yes, sometimes you can just about get by with some other tool... but seriously. Victorinox is being very complacent here. I for one would welcome a SAK that didn't look like it was designed for the kids in an Enid Blighton novel.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #84 on: October 24, 2013, 08:10:16 PM
While I can't say I need to carry a mag glass, it has been useful to me a few times.  Once it was a big help in reading a semi worn out serial number on a file cabinet lock that I needed to determine its corresponding key to unlock it.  That sort of thing doesn't happen often, and I don't always have a mag glass SAK on me, but I was damn glad I had it that time :tu:  I get what you're saying about it being like a toy as well, because I also use it for fun :D
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #85 on: October 24, 2013, 08:15:19 PM
When it comes to pocket tools, versatility is the name of the game. It turns out that almost any non-recessed Phillips screw will come out via one Victorinox slot driver or the other, and until you spend some real time doing demo it's hard to fathom the ubiquitousness of slot screws.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: October 24, 2013, 08:17:50 PM

Yes but who needs to carry a flipping magnifying glass? The Explorer looks pretty useful, but it looks like something 12 year old boys get for Xmas.

I don't know why Victorinox are so hostile to Philips screwsdrivers. Flat head screws are a thing of the past. Nobody since 1950 has willingly purchased a pack of them. Every single item in the modern world is held together with Philips head screws (or Torx). Yes, sometimes you can just about get by with some other tool... but seriously. Victorinox is being very complacent here. I for one would welcome a SAK that didn't look like it was designed for the kids in an Enid Blighton novel.
Valid point , BUT, I personally do find the mag glass useful, I mean this is the whole purpose of a SAK isn't it ?

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 24, 2013, 08:55:37 PM

Vic offers an inline Phillips on the Champ and Explorer, the tinker series has a t-mounted Phillips driver, the can opener tool can just about fit into any Phillips screw out there, and the Cybertools and Swisstools have torx and Phillips bits. I’m not sure how one could see Vic as being hostile towards Philips screws.  :think:

And a magnfying glass? I use one quite often when removing splinters.    :)

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 08:57:20 PM by shamus »

00 Offline Thunderpants

• No Life Club
Reply #88 on: October 24, 2013, 09:23:53 PM
I think I had a Tinker once -- I definitely remember the Philips snapping shut on my fingers most of the times I tried to use it. As others here have pointed out, the T shape is nobody's dream configuration for a screwdriver. In many situations it is unusable.
The can opener as Philips is great, as a last resort. No way would I want to do anything like put an ikea shelf together using the can opener. It's an emergency measure and not a serious solution to anything.

Most of the other Vic tools do their job really well so it is surprising to find people so tolerant of the second-rate solutions they have for handling Philips screws. As far as I can see, two SAKs have usable philips drivers... and neither of them are particarly skinny.

I love everything about the knives I've got and am constantly stunned by the quality of the tools you can get for pennies. It just baffles me that in all these years Victorinox has consistently shunned the most useful tool of them all , the philips head screwdriver.

Having said that, I have a Swisstool Spirit, which is so good I probably don't need anything else. But a Spartanesque cellidor with a usable philips would be a dream. I'd swap the big blade for it, any day.

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #89 on: October 25, 2013, 12:14:51 AM
I once assembled an entire cube shelf with nothing but an Outrider.  The can opener was a great Phillips screwdriver. It was getting the nails in that took some effort.

The only problem with an in-line Phillips is that it is more or less a one-trick pony. If that's the only trick you need, then fine -- but sometimes it's worthwhile giving up some specialization in exchange for versatility.

Besides, it's worth noting that here in Canada we use an awful lot of Robertson screws.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%