Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

American Camper

Chako · 9 · 12125

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
American Camper
on: June 29, 2009, 01:05:22 AM
I got the idea for this review from the “Sentimental Multi-tool” photo thread found in the Shutter Shop section.
I present to you a multi-tool that has some sentimental value to me. Well ok, the sentimental value on this piece is far greater than the monetary value. Anyhow, I have a pair of these, and they were used extensively in the forest on a 3D archery range for most of the 90s.

American Camper Multi-tool

The American Camper Multi-tool has been around for quite some time. I have had mine since the early to mid 90s. It is a cheap knockoff of a Leatherman PST, or so I would wager. For its time, it wasn’t that bad of a multi-tool. However, you can still buy the same multi-tool under the same name brand…and that is just a little sad. This tool does not have any modern amenities. Its only saving grace in today’s market is its price and durable build.

The sheath that it comes with is not all that bad. It does have issues however. For example, it is rather easy to lose your screwdriver bits as there is no closure on the bottom of the bit storage area. The multi-tool goes into a forward compartment that is oddly better protected then the secondary bit section. As you can see, I have already lost one of my bits in the bushes ages ago, and never bothered to replace it.

The handles have 3 hex wrench cut outs in the handle with no size written anywhere on the tool. This also acts secondarily as a better gripping surface. As such, and I can attest to this, you can use this tool in the pouring rain with no fear of losing your grip on the handles. Note the Patent pending written on one of the handles. I wonder if the newer tools have this?

The major downfall of this tool (and it was a very common complaint of its day) is the sharp edges on the sheet metal that comprises the handles. With that said, there are cutouts in the handles that are somehow softened by the folding tools that project past the metal edge of the handle. If you hold the tool just right, it does lessen the pain of using them.

In one handle, we have:
-   Clip point blade, small blade/awl, small flathead screwdriver, and a combo bottle opener/large flathead screwdriver.

In the other handle, we have:
-   Combo fish scaler/file/ruler, a screw bit adapter, and a can opener.

The folding tools do not lock on this model. It is the basic system of a metal flap of the handle that applies pressure on the back of a folding tool. However, it doesn’t work very well. Another issue of the American Camper, the tools clump something fierce. If you select one tool, be prepared to put all the rest away back into the handle.

Conclusion
The American Camper is a cheaply made tool that doesn’t do anything really outstanding. However, what it does offer is good steady dependability. I am amazed that they are still making this tool virtually unchanged…at least from an outward visual. Its longevity in the market can tell you that it is a successful tool for the type of market that it is geared towards. I myself would not recommend this tool to anyone who wishes a good quality multi-tool.  However, a lot of people want something that has a no frills package that does the job. If that is you, then this could be your next mult-tool.

Pros:
-   Cheap.
-   Built sturdy for the price.

Cons:
-   Nylon sheath constructed in such a way that will make you lose a few screwdriver bits.
-   No softened edges for comfort during the use of the pliers.
-   Tools do not lock.
-   Tools clump something fierce.
-   The quality of the whole thing leaves a bit to be desired. In its defense, I have seen cheaper.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: American Camper
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:52:40 AM
Another cheap MT that is quality for the money :cheers: I know a few ppl who would carry this around and never need another ;) :D

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 11:00:00 PM
My wife got me this tool for father's day, as a part of a bunch of smaller gifts she got me, and I have to say, it is not that bad!  A Leatherman or Vic it is not, but for a cheapie tool, it is pretty cool.  As Chako said, it is a no frills multitool, with all the things that were wrong with them, but  it really is pretty durable.  I a keeping it as my fishing multitool because of the fish scaler, but I can totally see myself carrying and using this tool on a daily basis if I had to.  A first class cheapie... if that makes any sense!!  LOL.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 07:31:15 AM
I love the sheath design, it looks really practical :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 09:38:31 PM
That looks like good value for money as opposed to some of the truly abysmal MT's you see for sale  :tu:
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 01:25:00 AM
Whilst I can see how the design of the pouch means the bits can escape, I still like the concept and I'm sure it could be tweaked.

PS. Chako, you pics have been invaded by some strangely translucent mini pigs  :ahhh ;)
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:47:03 PM
The wire cutters are worse than useless on the knockoffs I have seen and tried. What are they like on this?
Gabba gabba hey!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:04:33 PM
PS. Chako, you pics have been invaded by some strangely translucent mini pigs  :ahhh ;)

I couldn't help noticing it looks like the little brother of the venerable Combat Hog... :D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 09:12:05 PM by noth »

gb Offline Captain Sabretache

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 04:06:46 PM
My father gave me one when i was a boy. I carried it as a boy scout and as an army cadet. It's sentimental value is beyond price as he is no longer alive. I admit it has its faults and my leatherman performs miles better. But i will one day pass it on to my son or daughter as it was passed on to me. As a first multitool for a child it is great as it does what it needs to do and doesn't cost a lot
In a world of S**t the man with the peg on his nose is King.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.
Benson: Oh, you say such nice things, Master.
Evil: Yes I know, I'm sorry!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD