Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I have some questions about selling/trading with people online

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Hi Guys,

So here's my situation:

Recently I listed something on craigslist that attracted a buyer.  This person expressed great interest in this item and is located in Ottawa which is about an 9 hour drive from me.  I'm very cautious about selling things on craigslist so I always ask to meet/sell locally.  (I rarely ship unless the item is inexpensive and no big deal.)  Anyways, this person is really interested in my item but has no idea when he'll ever be able to come pick this item from me locally.  He's hoping to make arrangements to pick this item up but I don't think it would be anytime soon.

Because he's located in Canada, I offered to ship the item as long as:

1. He pays for shipping.
2. Shipping must include a tracking number and require signature upon delivery.
3. He pays either with money order or paypal with a paypal-confirmed address.

Is this enough to protect me from being ripped off?  I don't think this person will rip me off but I still need to protect my butt.  My biggest concern is that he sends payment but after I ship the item, he complains to paypal about something and they withdraw his payment from my account (is this possible?)

I'd much prefer money order payments but I have a feeling he'll pay by paypal out of convenience.  Should I transfer his payment to my bank first before shipping the item?  Can someone still have the money deducted from my bank account via paypal?

This is the first time that I would ship something worth more than $150 so I'm a bit cautious.  On top of that, this item belongs to my brother who asked me to sell it on his behalf so I'm even more nervous about getting ripped off.

Any help/advice?
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
I'd say you've covered yourself as best you can mate :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
I think as long as you get it tracked and signed for upon delivery you will be fine to just go the paypal route.  Is it something like an electrical item that could be claimed to be faulty upon arrival?
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I think that you'll find that these transactions aren't as bad as you think they are, and you should be ok.  However, if you really want to be protected, make sure you purchase insurance for the item.  This way, if the buyer does make a claim through Paypal, you may be able to claim your money back from Canada Post.

I was initially paranoid about buying and selling online, but the reality is not a whole heck of alot is available locally, and what is isn't available at decent prices, so I started buying online- I was very worried at first but I got used to it after a while, and after hundreds of packages coming and going, there have only been slight problems with a handful of them.

Good luck!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
If he wants to do a money order make sure it's a USPS money order or something else that can easily be authenticated. There are lots of scams on craigslist involving money orders.
I know you said he was in Canada, I'm just not sure what their equivalent would be. I guess you get the idea though.

Offline Springs420

I do believe Canada Post does do money orders...

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
That they do.

For the longest time, I would never buy anything off the net. However, I was forced to it if I wanted to expand my collection of MTs. I was in the same boat as Grant. I just started in June. They make it terribly easy and so far (knock on wood), no problems.

I just could not imagine why I stayed away from online shopping for so long.

Now, if only more Americans would be willing to sell stuff up north... I would be set.  :salute: :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
buying online as whole seems pretty safe, but because of the anonymity of craiglist, i think it attracts more than it's fair share of scammers...I've only sold something over the mail once through craiglist...he sent USPS money order, let me wait for it to clear, and then he mailed a fedex prepaid shipping label to me which is used to send it. It wasn't a terribly expensive item though. Every time I post an ad on craiglist that's worth more than $100, I get one of these from someone:

Quote from: Scammer #1
Thank for the prompt response my secretary will  process  and mail a
certified draft to cover the cost  as am completely satisfied with
it. I will need the details of whom & where to mail the payment
1.Name to be on the check
2.Home address
3.Mobile #
Please note 'United Parcel Service' do not deliver to P.O.Box
addresses and i will not be  mailing a draft to one.My mover will
becoming over for the pick up right only after the payment as been
delivered. Kindly delete the posting as am totally committed to buying
from you to save cost,..Here is my relay phone # is  (210) 209-8524 am
deaf and will receive your your phone messages via email, regards

or

Quote from: scammer #2
I am satisfied with the information provided about it at the craigslist. I will love to make an instant purchase, so please do withdraw the advert from Craigslist, I don't mind adding an extra $50 dolls for you to do that so that i can be rest assured that the item is in hand. I will also like you to know that I will be paying via check due to the distance and it will be over night payment. My secretary in the state will issue the check for the payment. I am presently on a business trip and will be back soon. You don't need to bother your self with the shipment. Ok? My Mover will handle that .So I will need you to provide me with the following information to facilitate the mailing of the check. Name, Address and Phone number

Have a nice day.
Donald

But I'm sure most of us have seen something similar. I've noticed all of these never mention the actual name of what i have for sale... they just say 'item'

Normally my stance on something like that is, if someone is interested enough they will find a way to get me the cash on my terms...otherwise let someone else buy it..it's not worth it.
Also I would do a little reading up on paypal, they are heavily skewed in favor of the buyer, even outside of ebay IIRC

Good luck.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD