Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many SwissTools...

Offline Themelis

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
How many SwissTools...
on: April 22, 2007, 03:38:27 PM
...one must own to start worrying about being Obsessive Compulsive?  :) At the moment I own 4 different Swisstools (CS Plus, X Plus, RS, Black Oxidised) and 4 Spirits (Plus Ratchet, S, standard Leather, standard Nylon). Not to mention the various SwissChamps and numerous SAK's.  So, is there anyone in a worst medical coondition than myself? Would definitely make me feel less worried HAHA. Dunc?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: How many SwissTools...
Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 03:47:03 PM
As far as SwissTools by themselves go, you have me beat.  I only have three Original SwissTools (two polished, one black) and a Spirit.  As far as SAKs go, I think I have you pretty good- I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200, give or take. 

Of course, if you are talking about Swiss Army Multitools, the collection isn't complete without an AutoTool, a SportRatchet, a Swiss Grip and a Pocket Grip, all of which I also have!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Themelis

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 04:10:06 PM
As far as SAKs go, I think I have you pretty good- I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 200, give or take. 

Oh, definitely, I do not even come close, no more than 25-30 SAK's all Victorinox. But save for SwissChamps and Alox models I do not really collect them, they are scattered everywhere I may be, every room at home, at job, in the car, in the summer house, the garage etc

Of course, if you are talking about Swiss Army Multitools, the collection isn't complete without an AutoTool, a SportRatchet, a Swiss Grip and a Pocket Grip, all of which I also have!

I would have bought the Autotool, but I despise tools that have batteries as it spoils the "indestructible/ever ready" feeling  (is this part of the disorder? HAHA). Still, yeah for collection reasons I should have bought one, mind you it can still be found.
Now Wengers, never a big fan, for me they always faded in comparison to the Vics, so I do not collect them, only have two, a black Supertalent I bought like a decade ago, and one which is a gift but I do not know its name (it features a ship on the scales).
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:52:46 PM by Themelis »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 04:23:02 PM
I know that indestructable ever ready type mentality.  That is exactly the reason I won't buy a SwissBeat or SwissMemory model.  My old Camper is still going strong, and it's about 25 years old.  My old SwissGrip is also going strong at about 10 years old.  I have an old Soldier model that is over 60 years old (from 1944) and it still functions perfectly.  10 years ago, 1.44megs on a floppy was sufficient for just about anything, and 25 years ago we had never heard of a "gigabyte" so I am certain these 1gig flash drive SAKs will be virtually worthless in a few years.  Two years ago I bought a 256meg SD card for only $120 which was a great deal.  Now I can get 2 gig cards for less than $50.

Technological doodads and solid tools don't mix.  Of course, the battery in the AutoTool is just for the flashlight, which really doesn't work very well anyways.  I have thought about modding an LED into one of my AutoTools to make it more effective.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Themelis

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 04:39:20 PM
I know that indestructable ever ready type mentality.  That is exactly the reason I won't buy a SwissBeat or SwissMemory model. 

Ditto! I would never even buy a Vic Timekeeper, or Traveller wiht Altimeter for that very reason.

Of course, the battery in the AutoTool is just for the flashlight, which really doesn't work very well anyways.

I am pretty confident the pressure gauge requires a battery as well, seeing as it is a digital one.

However, I have no excuse for not owning a sportsratchet, not the most beautiful one but interesting whatsoever. I doubt it ever reached Greece though.

The oldest SAKs I have are an 20 year old Angler (scissors instead of pliers and no hook) and an about 19 years old Swisschamp (you know the older style, without the needle pin, with grooved screwdriver, different alluminium layer separators). Both may have marked scales and beaten etc, have seen a lot of sharpening, but are still used and performed excellently.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 04:51:12 PM
I'm not certain about the tire guage.  You have an interesting point on that, but mine all work fine and I doubt the battery has ever been changed on either of them.

Does your SwissChamp have pliers?  If not, then it's an older model Champion, not a SwissChamp.

The hook debuted in '91 so anything older than that wil be without it.

As for what has and hasn't reached Greece, well that's the great thing abotu a forum like this (and the 'net in general) you can get almost anything anywhere.  The excuses are off! :P

Def

Offline Themelis

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 05:00:05 PM
I'm not certain about the tire guage.  You have an interesting point on that, but mine all work fine and I doubt the battery has ever been changed on either of them.

Well, it has to have a battery, or Victorinox used a piezoelectric effect material, which I very much doubt. That, or Vic discovered the worlds first slef powered digital display  :o.
Don't forget that certain lithium batteries if unused or wiht little use have a life span that can reach 10 years, and your Autotool can't be older than 8 (but you do risk electrolyte leakage, so seeing as it is a cherished possesion you better replace them anyway before it's too late - another downside to including batteries in a multitool).

Does your SwissChamp have pliers?  If not, then it's an older model Champion, not a SwissChamp.

I wouldn't ever dare to enter this forum having made a mistake like that  :P. It is an early SwissChamp, and it does have pliers, albeit with a slightly different bolt at the pivot.

Guilty as charged regarding the SportRatchet, anyone willing to part with a NIB one  ::)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 05:03:53 PM by Themelis »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 06:48:05 PM
Ironic that you guys are talking about the battery for an AutoTool tire pressure gauge. (VERY ironic!) I just had mine out last night, doing a little write-up for a different project. There is no mention of a battery in the instruction manual. There is however a small screw on the gauge itself, but removing it got me nowhere. I could find no way to access a battery or otherwise get inside the gauge.

I put the screw back in, shrugged my shoulders, and moved on.... :-\
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 07:26:58 PM
...one must own to start worrying about being Obsessive Compulsive?  :) At the moment I own 4 different Swisstools (CS Plus, X Plus, RS, Black Oxidised) and 4 Spirits (Plus Ratchet, S, standard Leather, standard Nylon). Not to mention the various SwissChamps and numerous SAK's.  So, is there anyone in a worst medical coondition than myself? Would definitely make me feel less worried HAHA. Dunc?

Yep you have a problem  :o But there is a cure  ;) Send half your Swisstool collection to me  :grin: then you wont feel guilty  ::)

Actually I only have two swisstools ( std and X) and one Spirit .Thats not through choice but due to lack of funds  :cry: If I had more money then it would be straight onto felinevet and ebay  :grin: I have had many swisstools go through my hands in the past few years and my favourite is the RS but I dont have one at the moment  ( would trade my X for one if I had the chance ) .I have about 20 saks and a few other "nice " knives so I dont consider myself unfortunate .I'm still young,  well 35 anyway , so theres no hurry .

Dunc

Offline Themelis

Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 08:59:59 PM

Yep you have a problem  :o But there is a cure  ;) Send half your Swisstool collection to me  :grin: then you wont feel guilty  ::)

Excellent idea, but Def's post already got me relieved from my guilt  ::)

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 09:01:25 PM
Damn  ;)

Dunc

Offline sakjohn

Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 11:05:16 PM
Geez I'm waay behind you guys. I only have one swisstool and three leatherman tools (like the swiss the best though) and then a dozen vic SAKs. However, everytime I tell my wife/ show her a new SAK she looks at me like "are you kidding me?" She can't understand why I would need another knife.
Should I leave her now or wait? ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 11:18:34 PM
Only three Leathermans?  I have that just on the desk in front of me!  :D

Def

Offline Themelis

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 11:34:37 PM
However, everytime I tell my wife/ show her a new SAK she looks at me like "are you kidding me?" She can't understand why I would need another knife.

Deja-vu

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: April 30, 2007, 04:57:54 AM
I only have one SwissTool (standard) but I have 50-60 Victorinox Classics and Classic SDs. I also have about 30 large models, including a SwissChamp, and, my baby, a SwissChamp XLT.

I also have around 100 non-Swiss knives. I've also had more than my fair share of strange knives, such as hobo-tools, lighters, and knives concealed in pens.

I also have a Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Swiss-Style knife with a small serrated blade, scizzors, a can-opener/screwdriver, and a large blade with Indiana Jones' signature on it. On one side of the grip there is a picture of a hat and a whip, and on the other is international morse code.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 05:20:45 AM
I only have one SwissTool (standard) but I have 50-60 Victorinox Classics and Classic SDs. I also have about 30 large models, including a SwissChamp, and, my baby, a SwissChamp XLT.

I also have around 100 non-Swiss knives. I've also had more than my fair share of strange knives, such as hobo-tools, lighters, and knives concealed in pens.

I also have a Young Indiana Jones Chronicles Swiss-Style knife with a small serrated blade, scizzors, a can-opener/screwdriver, and a large blade with Indiana Jones' signature on it. On one side of the grip there is a picture of a hat and a whip, and on the other is international morse code.

Welcome to the forums Viper!
With that many tools and knives, you ought to fit in here rather nicely!

Bob   :multi:

ps ~ tell us some more about what you've got...and don't be shy about posting pictures!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 12:19:52 AM
Gladly! By the way, great overview on the Porsche!

In the second to last pic, the XLT is being compared to the regular SwissChamp.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 04:08:58 AM
............In the second to last pic, the XLT is being compared to the regular SwissChamp.

Goodness, that XLT is certainly a big fellow! Do you carry it much, or is it mostly just a showpiece?

Oh, and where is your SwissTool among all these fine pictures?  ;)

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 04:33:37 AM
I carry it around quite often, actually. I have big hands so it's not much of a problem. Nowadays I carry around the SwissTool the most becuase it's heavier duty.
And I actually don't think I have any pics of my SwissTool. I do have a video though-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZOFWeO74Ks

My narrating sucks, but you can still see the knife.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 12:56:11 PM
Hehe...thanks man!

It seems like you really like the Victorinox stuff....am I correct in guessing there is a Spirit in your near future?  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 01:15:31 PM
There should be a Spirit in everyone's near future, even if you already have one!  :pok:

Def

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #21 on: May 02, 2007, 01:24:45 PM
There should be a Spirit in everyone's near future

Amen!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2007, 01:28:52 PM
I know as the owner of a site like this I have to appear unbiased, but you know, I think that the Spirit is the best balance of functionality, quality and cost to be found anywhere.  Maybe we should do a Multitool Idol sometime and see what everyone thinks overall!

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 05:19:52 AM
Next in line for Victorinox is probably the RescueTool, but there is definately a Spirit in the near future, likely an "S" model.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD