Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit X (with clip)

Offline silentio

Swisstool Spirit X (with clip)
on: July 04, 2009, 06:45:10 PM
Right, so I got my Spirit X from Tim, and here's my review. I'm quite excited about this one because I had been obsessing about it for some time. Not the decision as to whether to buy one, but about how to get a pocket clip on it. I do not have the ability nor tools to perform the excellent mod done by J-Sews, so I had to think of something else.

This something else is the Clipdraw, which I first read about on this forum. This is not so much a review of the Spirit X as it is one of the Clipdraw on one.

First up, the Clipdraw. Here's what I bought

http://www.clipdraw.com/store/index.php?rn=395&action=show_detail

The package is very comprehensive, with even alcohol cleaners to help prepare the surface. Installation was pretty straightforward. Just paste the adhesive onto the mounting plate, cut off excess then position it on the Spirit. Thereafter, just screw on the clip, and you're set. Here are the pictures of my new "clipped" Spirit

View closed

With pliers opened

Put it so it doesn't obstruct when using the blade. But anyway, it's pretty all right gripped in the palm, so even if you are using the file on the other side, there's no issue

Here's a super close up side view. You can see the clip itself isn't that great, curved a bit high. The tape and mounting plate are thick-ish, but that's a small compromise to make. It really isn't that bad when held in the hand. The fact that the colour is very similar makes it not so obvious.

I didn't get it right the first time. I put the Clipdraw below the rivet at first. This was how it looked

This was one of the things I worried about before getting the kit, that it would ride too high because i had to paste it below the rivet. After doing this, I realised that the tape is so thick and strong, it would run over the rivet safely. I pryed out the mounting plate with a screwdriver and the tape came out mostly cleanly. A little wipe with the alcohol swab, and you never knew it was there. Repositioned the clip, and now I'm a happy camper. The tape is incredibly strong. I didn't hang a weight to test it out, but it's safe to say it won't unadhere itself.

So, here's my final assessment of a Clipdraw Spirit X

Pros:
You get a pocket clip (duh)
Easy to install
Secure
Warranty remains (compared to J-sew's mod)

Cons:
Tool may feel thicker
Doesn't look seamless like J-sew's mod

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Swisstool Spirit X (with clip)
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:49:50 PM
Fine review and mod mate :tu:

Let us know how the clip holds up please :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 07:04:18 PM
Fine review and mod mate :tu:

Let us know how the clip holds up please :)

+1 :tu: very nice mod :)
A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 07:19:28 PM
Looks good sir! :salute:

Does the adhesive bond well? Any concerns that it might come un-stuck accidentally?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:31:56 PM
Looks good sir! :salute:

Does the adhesive bond well? Any concerns that it might come un-stuck accidentally?

My questions exactly.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 10:42:00 PM
Looks good :tu:
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 11:32:06 PM
That looks really great. :tu: Please let us know how well it stays in place over time.
"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 02:58:59 AM
 :tu: Very cool Silentio :salute: Keep us updated on how it holds up mate :cheers:

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 05:36:02 AM
nice job! :cheers:

Offline silentio

Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 03:01:27 AM
A little about the adhesive--it's strong. I mentioned I had to remove it once, and getting that done requires you to pry it off. Even then, it wasn't easy. Once you stretch the tape though, the material loses its stickiness. It's almost impossible to stretch the tape while the clip is on though, so I reckon I'm pretty safe.

Clipdraw has an image on its site showing a dumb bell weight hanging on its clip to demonstrate strength. I'm not inclined to try that out, but as far as I'm concerned, the strength of the steel clip itself is the weakest link in this setup. Of course, I've only carried it for 2 days, will report back if I find any signs of weakness. I could have some bias, because if there's one American company I admire more than Leatherman for quality products, it's 3M.

BTW, borrowed a nice camera for a little while, so here's another pic. I couldn't help using my new Spirit X as a test model  :D Forgive the griminess, I forgot to wipe it down before shooting :P

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:30 AM
Nice work! I have heard good things about Clipdraw. Please give us an update in a few months!  :cheers:
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:14:47 PM
That's cool!

Yeah, 3M is a great company! I buy 3M products as much as possible!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:01:49 AM
Bandage on the index finger eh. By chance were you bitten by a serrated butter knife? ;)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:06:15 AM
The Spirit X doesn't have the peanut butter blade!
B

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:17:51 AM
I stand corrected! :salute:

Offline silentio

Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 06:12:19 PM
Bandage on the index finger eh. By chance were you bitten by a serrated butter knife? ;)

I sliced through my nail when peeling potatoes. The tape (made by 3M, incidentally) is there to make sure it doesn't lift and leave my index finger nail-less.

BTW, has anyone found it hard to pull out a tool on the Spirit? I have weak nails I think, find it tough to pull the scissors sometimes.

Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 06:58:34 PM
The tool's are more difficult to get out compared to other MT's, but that's because there under spring tension :)

There is a knack to getting them out, usually hooking you little finger under the tool you need (as long as it's not the blade :D) will work :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 07:09:53 PM
The tool's are more difficult to get out compared to other MT's, but that's because there under spring tension :)

There is a knack to getting them out, usually hooking you little finger under the tool you need (as long as it's not the blade :D) will work :)

That's what I generally do.
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 07:11:23 PM
Man, what's with you people and your weak sissy nails? :D

I actually have to bathe or soak my nails in hot water before I can cut them with anything. Yeah, they're tough. ::)

EDIT: By the way, thanks for doing this. Was gonna do the same myself but decided to hold off until someone slapped one on before me.
Got those frog legs.

Offline silentio

Reply #19 on: July 09, 2009, 06:55:06 PM
Man, what's with you people and your weak sissy nails? :D

I actually have to bathe or soak my nails in hot water before I can cut them with anything. Yeah, they're tough. ::)

EDIT: By the way, thanks for doing this. Was gonna do the same myself but decided to hold off until someone slapped one on before me.

Haha, I fully concede that I have "sissy" nails. I have trouble with the awl on SAKs even sometimes. Let me know how your own clipdraw application turns out.

Thanks, Mike, for the tip on opening.

Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 06:58:20 PM
No probs :salute:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 01:54:55 PM
I got my Clip Draw the other day and it immediately went on my Spirit! I must say it works like a charm, like I was telling Grant yesterday, it might not be as pretty as the LM clip mod but it works very well. I carried the Spirit all day yesterday at work in a pair of dress pants and didn't even notice it was there. I have had some minor issues with the clip, this would happen to any clip but I corrected the issues. The clip got caught on stuff a few times and was not center on the plate. I just loosened the screws repositioned and tightened them back down. Maybe I didn't tighten them enough the first time or something, who knows. The clip pulls out of your pocket easily, it's got enough tension but not too much. I will take some time getting use to finding which tools are on what side though, I keep thinking I am carrying a Wave or something and are expecting to open up the main blade one handed....I WISH. Anyways, very cool quick and easy mod that I recommend for folks to try.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 02:05:31 PM
I'm considering getting one too as it would make me carry the Spirit, which I think is a great tool.

However, I'm still working on a way to get Bob to make his sexy mod for me instead.... not sure if I'm going the emotional, pleading or blackmail route yet, but I'll think of something eventually :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 02:18:55 PM
I didn't like the idea of voiding the warranty on the spirit so I thought this method might work better for me. I really do love the spirit, have for quite a while but since I am at work MOST of the time I don't have room on my belt for a sheath. A clipped tool is usually what is in my pocket and the spirit just was not seeing the love. Now it's very happy and has jumped to the head of the EDC rotation, let's hope the clips continues to work wonders.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 02:20:42 PM
Very sensible reasoning there.... and it is great to have something else in rotation I agree. I generally only pocket carry tools which can be clipped on or attached to a lanyard. Not planning on losing any in a hurry!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 23, 2017, 12:17:40 PM
So.. I kinda dug this one up with a Google search and ordered a clip to put on my spirit. Has time been nice to it and how has the tape been holding up almost 10 years after?

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

us Offline clown

• No Life Club
  • Learn to swim...
Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 04:07:49 AM
I'm curious too.  Hope we get some follow ups!

:popcorn:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD