Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Against my better judgement.............

2xTap · 58 · 5014

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Re: Against my better judgement.............
Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 12:19:18 AM
2xtap,
I'm sure you are going to enjoy the wave when it gets there :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 04:53:20 AM
I'm hoping so, and I'm also hoping it arrives tomorrow........... :mail:

2xTap  :D
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 05:52:02 AM
sounds like you guys are beyond help!  ;)  Enjoy!

I actually haven't bought a tool for months can you believe that?  What is wrong with me?   :D
Taking anything on prescription...?  ;) :D

lol,  summers here and I dress lightly in shorts so my nearest tool away from home is my car.  When fall arrives though it'll be back to multi's.  I might grab a XE6.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:36 AM
sounds like you guys are beyond help!  ;)  Enjoy!

I actually haven't bought a tool for months can you believe that?  What is wrong with me?   :D
Taking anything on prescription...?  ;) :D

lol,  summers here and I dress lightly in shorts so my nearest tool away from home is my car.  When fall arrives though it'll be back to multi's.  I might grab a XE6.
I exchanged my edc Kick with a Juice s2 for the summer... It won't pull your pants down.. ;) :D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 10:22:30 PM
Ok, it has arrived!  :mail:

And, drum roll................................................................I like it!  :tu:

So far I am really impressed with the craftsmanship. Seems to be a well thought out and constructed tool. The design is what really took me when looking at these LM's, that of the Charge, Surge, and Wave. As soon as the weather clears up here I'll get some pics done and a little review on my impressions of this piece.

Going to take it to work with me and play with it a bit tomorrow.....but so far so good!  :D

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 10:28:35 PM
As soon as the weather clears up here I'll get some pics done and a little review on my impressions of this piece.
Congrats & enjoy... :tu: Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it... ;)

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 11:12:41 PM
Ok, it has arrived!  :mail:

And, drum roll................................................................I like it!  :tu:

So far I am really impressed with the craftsmanship. Seems to be a well thought out and constructed tool. The design is what really took me when looking at these LM's, that of the Charge, Surge, and Wave. As soon as the weather clears up here I'll get some pics done and a little review on my impressions of this piece.

Going to take it to work with me and play with it a bit tomorrow.....but so far so good!  :D

2xTap

Wow.  You're going to be doing a review of a multitool.  Never thought I'd see that.  LOL.  Congrats, Tap.  It'll serve you faithfully.  Just becareful when applying too much pressure on the pliers.  The area closest to the top of the handles, where they meet?  It can bite.  The Wave will demand respect if it isn't accorded some.  Good tool, though.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #37 on: July 09, 2009, 11:36:08 PM
LH,

I learned long ago when dealing with MT's to go easy to avoid a blood blister, my old Gerber Multi-plier used to bite me occassionally. Didn't get to play with it all today at work, was just way too busy. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a chance to fool with it and use it some.

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 06:22:50 AM
Ok guys, here's some pics and my impressions of the Wave I recently got.

I have to say I really like this thing. The design and the tool layout originally attracted me to this one. The one thing I really like is the full size blades/saw/file located on the outside of the handles when the tool is closed up. The fact they are all easy opening and they all lock is icing on the cake.

The locking inner tools I like as well. Like the blades/saw/file they seem to be well made and nicely finished.

The plier head is robust without any play or wobble. All of the tools lock open without any play as well, and the locks engage solidly and disengage easily. It all makes for a nice package.

The fit and finish is excellent, the only fault here I could find is the plain edge blade has a slightly uneven grind along it's edge and while it has some nice wide bevels the edge was actually rather dull out of the box. A few passes on my fine ceramic stone and a little leather stropping brought the edge to hair-popping sharp quickly.

The overall satin finish of the tool is flawless and the whole thing is just put together real well. It is a quality piece to be sure.........

Even the nylon sheath is of quality construction, no flimsy paper thin nylon on this thing. All and all I could not be happier with this. The design is excellent, the execution is just as good, it's a relatively small package that offers a good range of tools without excessive weight or bulky construction, and I got it for a real good price. I just have not had the opportunity to really use it yet so I can't give any real feedback as to how this thing stacks up, but the build quality is definitely there.

I gotta say there will be more LM's in my future...(just ordered a Juice S2 today)...and I am already eyeing a few, as well as some others.

New addiction........here I come!  :bnghd:

2xTap

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #39 on: July 12, 2009, 06:52:57 AM
New addiction........here I come!  :bnghd:

Your welcome :D

Nice to hear your postive thoughts about the Wave!
[

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: July 12, 2009, 11:41:09 AM
Good to hear you like it.  Most folks know that I'm a Vic SAK man but when it comes to plier based tools all of mine are Leatherman.  Not that I have anything against other makers but LM's seem to fit my needs well.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #41 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:01 PM
I have a Charge and a Surge but man oh man I have to get a wave  :tu:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline tomcrx

Reply #42 on: July 12, 2009, 06:10:33 PM
Nice thing about the Wave is the jimped the spine of the serrated blade. This helps you orient the closed tool in your right hand by feeling the spine with your thumb so you don't have to look at it.

Jimped spine = saw and serrated, smooth spine = file and plain edge

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #43 on: July 12, 2009, 07:34:12 PM
duckman1975,

I am also eyeing the same two you got, the Surge and a Charge.

tomcrx,

That is one thing I forgot to mention that I thought was excellent, that of the jimping on the serrated blade's spine. A good tactile reference to determine which blade without having to look at the tool.

2xTap

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 08:07:34 PM
really nice shots Tap! :cheers:

of all those 3 I like the Wave the best.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: July 12, 2009, 10:41:17 PM
Nice write-up and pics 2x :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #46 on: July 13, 2009, 12:23:21 AM
WhichDawg & J-sews,

Thanks guys.  :tu:

2xTap

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 12:55:26 AM
Good write up and great pics  :tu: Let us know how you get on with the Wave when you've had a good chance to use it .

dunc

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 01:02:50 AM
Very nice! Dunc, when are you doing your Wave review? You've owned it for quite some time!
B

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 01:12:55 AM
Very nice! Dunc, when are you doing your Wave review? You've owned it for quite some time!

Patience young man  :D I've had it nearly a month and its still undergoing extensive trials in both my work , lifeboat and play enviroments . The longer I leave it the better testing it gets  ;)

Dunc

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #50 on: July 16, 2009, 04:00:53 AM
Glad you like the Wave, Tap.  I have one.  My wife bought it for me in 2005, and I have used it for soooo many things over the years, I can't even recall them all.  Tough tool.
However, it does have it's issues.
The knife blades eye holes are so big, to make it easy to open, that when using the pliers, the knife heads almost touch, causing the handles to "bite" if your thumb should slip.  Heck, even if you don't slip, if you are not careful, you will be left with a very painful blood blister.  I know.  I've had my share.
Also, when using the tool as a knife, the rolled steel on the handles is a bit sharp, making it a little uncomfortable and painful to use for any hard cutting.
Other then that, it is a tough tool.  I have cranked and torqued mine, and it has held tough.
Good luck with it.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #51 on: July 16, 2009, 04:36:20 AM
Dunc,

Will do!

LH,

I ain't too worried about pinching. Learned long ago using my old Gerber and how that used to pinch, to position my hand to keep such from happening. But we shall see.

I'm hoping my Juice comes tomorrow, sure is taking a while to get here.  :think:

2xTap

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #52 on: July 16, 2009, 07:04:48 PM
Well I am putting my foot down. Once these 23 items from eBay + the 5 other auctions I am currently winning come in, I will proceed at a much slower pace thereafter.

And I thought I was bad...   I  :salute: you!!   :D
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #53 on: July 16, 2009, 11:04:18 PM

I'm hoping my Juice comes tomorrow, sure is taking a while to get here.  :think:

2xTap

Mine took over 3 weeks from amazon(purple xe6). Not entirely impressed with the quality of metal, a notch below other LM products. gonna try out the bottle opener/assist 2 nite on some chardonnay, hope it works  :cheers:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #54 on: July 17, 2009, 12:48:41 AM
Well, my LM Juice S2 arrived just a little while ago via UPS. I was suprised when the guy handed me a box that was way too big to have a little S2 in it. Opening it up I see why.......that little S2 came in a huge ass tin done over in a even larger clamshell package! I am all for collector tins but I don't see why a small pocket tool had to be put in a tin big enough to store a dozen or so medium Stockmans!

Anyway............it's a cool little tool. Nice build on it although the scissors are a real sore spot on what is otherwise a nice tool. Scissors are sloppy and loose, not quite the same quality as on my LM Wave or the ones on my Gerbers. But aside from that it's a nice tool.

My digi-cam isn't up and running yet as we just hooked up our new PC, ain't got all the software downloaded nor all our toys hooked up yet. I'll get some pics up and a little review as soon as I get the camera stuff and software running.

2xTap

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: July 17, 2009, 07:45:54 AM
I'll get some pics up and a little review as soon as I get the camera stuff and software running.

2xTap
Looking forward to the review.. Sloppy scissors, huh...  :-\  The ones on mine are tight enouth...  :think:

us Offline LatinoHeat

Reply #56 on: July 17, 2009, 02:35:00 PM
I'm not a big fan of the Juice lines' scissors.  I have the Juice XE6, and I don't like the scissors either.  The scissors or the can/bottle opener.  Strangely made for a company that produces so many quality scissors on their multitools.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 10:51:03 PM
LH,

Yeah.....not a fan of them either. The scissors work well and in use are pretty solid, I just don't like the loose sloppiness of them in the full open position, or the short spring with the mushy feeling. They work though. Just an odd thing on this tool when everything else is rock solid and nicely executed.

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%