Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 Good Low $ 1xAA Flashlights

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
2 Good Low $ 1xAA Flashlights
on: July 09, 2009, 09:47:33 PM
Saw a few threads inquiring about single AA Lights, these are cheap and bright. The grey light is the Romisen RC-G2 with Cree xre and forward clicky $11 & change on dealextreme, very bright, good throw, beam has somewhat yellowish tint. About 4 1/8" long.

The olive drab is Ultrafire A10 with cree Q5 just under $18, smaller and skinnier than romison, recessed glow in the dark reverse clicky{can tailstand}, better flood than throw and whiter/bluish beam color. rated at 220 lumens, but appears less with AA(also takes 14500). Just under 4" long

A couple of the romissens needed cleaning of forward contacts{ maybe some grease from threads migrated in airplane) to eliminate poor contact/flickering. Works fine now, excellent lights for the money, and good build to frame. here's some pics, next to a vic camo climber for size reference:

Both good buys for the money, but you cant go wrong with the $11.30 Romissen(battery was not quite fresh for rcg2 when I took the pics, but i'm too lazy to redo em  >:D )
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:12:04 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: 2 Good Low $ 1xAA Flashlights
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 09:49:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, bro!

Always been hesitant to pick out lights from DX, always wanted to but I don't have the knowledge. Any other suggestions for each size range? :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 09:57:10 PM
Not sure what you mean by size range(batteries, lumens, length etc...) but I've heard good things about the akoray 1xAA 6 mode with clip. I also have the Ultrafire wf606a Q5 2XAA which is extremly bright about $19.

P.S. Beam pics from Romissen are probably a little dim , battery was not fresh.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 10:00:15 PM by Blackbeard »
BB :B:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 09:58:26 PM
Sorry, meant battery capacity! Specifically interested in some 2 AA and 1 AAA's.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:03:41 PM
Will have to get back to you on battery life, have not thought about it too much.

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:33:02 PM
Romisens and Ultrafires are good lights.  My  RC-F4 and a UF-A20 are run by RCR123s. Man, they are throwers!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 11:36:41 PM
I have the same Romisen AA in the car and I'm very pleased with it. I think DX do some very good value lights and it you search the site for the most popular ones you can normally find a bunch of reviews picking out anything to be concerned about.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:32:18 AM

Always been hesitant to pick out lights from DX, always wanted to but I don't have the knowledge. Any other suggestions for each size range? :D

Great guide to budget lights on DX

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200829

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:47:43 AM

Great guide to budget lights on DX

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200829

Thanks, this will help out with my next purchase.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 03:03:53 AM
Double thanks from me! :D
Got those frog legs.

Offline Willieboy

• Me and Dutch the super dog.
Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 04:41:58 AM
Those look nice.
M

Offline entaro

Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 06:13:49 AM
I just received an RC-G2 from DX yesterday and I must say I am very satisfied with it!

I compared the RC-G2 to my Mag Led 3AA and the brightness was almost the same! super! runtime on the RC-G2 is quite poor though (almost an hour using cheap Sanyo NiCD's 700ma) -- Mag Led 3AA lasts at least 2hours (haven't timed it yet to fully drain the battery).

By the way, what's the best AA battery can you guys recommend for RC-G2? I plan on to get Sanyo Eneloops.. are these good enough in terms of price vs performance?
C

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 01:46:36 AM
I just received an RC-G2 from DX yesterday and I must say I am very satisfied with it!

I compared the RC-G2 to my Mag Led 3AA and the brightness was almost the same! super! runtime on the RC-G2 is quite poor though (almost an hour using cheap Sanyo NiCD's 700ma) -- Mag Led 3AA lasts at least 2hours (haven't timed it yet to fully drain the battery).

By the way, what's the best AA battery can you guys recommend for RC-G2? I plan on to get Sanyo Eneloops.. are these good enough in terms of price vs performance?

I Love my eneloops, I use them in my bluetooth remote and my camera, as for my flashlight, i have modded it to use Li-Ion 18650s which also work great. DX has cheaper NIMHs that are almost as good as the eneloops...and you can use them in the eneloop charger

Edit: If you ever decide to start using Li-Ion batteries make sure you get a charger that isn't total crap. And for some peace of mind definitely use protected batteries.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:50:08 AM by toothrot »

Offline entaro

Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 11:10:23 AM
I Love my eneloops, I use them in my bluetooth remote and my camera, as for my flashlight, i have modded it to use Li-Ion 18650s which also work great. DX has cheaper NIMHs that are almost as good as the eneloops...and you can use them in the eneloop charger

Edit: If you ever decide to start using Li-Ion batteries make sure you get a charger that isn't total crap. And for some peace of mind definitely use protected batteries.

Thanks for the advice toothrot! are those NiMh's from DX have slow discharge rate? that's the reason why I'm opting for Eneloops so that I can charge them and store until needed. I'm also planning to get a Li-Ion powered flashlight (Akoray K-106 perhaps).  What charger can you recommend? I'm looking at DX..

Thanks!
C

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 11:26:50 AM
I have a couple of sets of eneloops and they are the only rechargable I use now.  Great batteries.
I'm back!!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 02:08:13 PM
I have a couple of sets of eneloops and they are the only rechargable I use now.  Great batteries.

+1 eneloops for all my AA and AAA needs...a little bit pricey where I am but mate...it's totally worth it!
[

Offline toothrot

• What pants?
Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 08:38:20 PM
i like that akoray you are looking at, i have another light that uses the Cree Q5-WC LED and it is great LED.

For Lithium Ion batteries, I have this charger: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6105 and it works well, i can't comment on any of the others. It is sized for 18650 batteries, but with a spacer it could charge 14500
If you want to us Li-Ion i'd get the protected cells for that akoray: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3435 they have another cheaper set, but someone says they are bigger and won't fit into that light.

if you need low self discharge nimhs, i would stick with the eneloops...amazon has them for a decent price. it's not worth saving a couple of bucks, i don't think DXs LSD batteries are really that much cheaper anyways.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 11:46:39 PM
Ordered the 1 AA and 1AAA akoray's last week and a ultrafire c3. BTW the link to CPF goes to an older version of the light ratings, but you can get to the newer ones with several mouse clicks.

Offline pmoore

• Make what you need from what you have.
Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 08:11:18 PM
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=235490

This is the latest edition of BB's budget light roundup. I have the "new" RC-G2 From the Beam. Bright as heck on a NiMH, The older RC-N3 Single mode from the same dealer. Nice light in both set-ups. And have had my AKOray K-106 for about a week and half. Love this light, on a 14500. I am thinking serously about the MG L Mini II. The temptation..is ..too...great.. :drool:

Paul
K

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009, 04:30:51 PM
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=235490

This is the latest edition of BB's budget light roundup. I have the "new" RC-G2 From the Beam. Bright as heck on a NiMH, The older RC-N3 Single mode from the same dealer. Nice light in both set-ups. And have had my AKOray K-106 for about a week and half. Love this light, on a 14500. I am thinking serously about the MG L Mini II. The temptation..is ..too...great.. :drool:

Paul

How does the new rc-g2 compare to the one in my photos? This thing is a serious thrower, gotten several for friends/family.

Offline pmoore

Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 05:35:12 PM
I have no way of getting Lux readings, but it is reported to be a 50% improvment over the older version. I know on a good NiMH, it will put your eyes out. It will not run on a 14500.  BTW, I did break dowm and order the MG L Mini II...yea, I know I am weak  ::) I will let you guys know when it comes in.

Paul
K

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 11:56:39 PM
I have no way of getting Lux readings, but it is reported to be a 50% improvment over the older version. I know on a good NiMH, it will put your eyes out. It will not run on a 14500.  BTW, I did break dowm and order the MG L Mini II...yea, I know I am weak  ::) I will let you guys know when it comes in.

Paul

Just got the rcg2 2 Q5 the other day from shiningbeam, and it blows the standard one away  :o. Definently worth the extra $10 and brighter than all my other lights and about the same as my fenix L2d.

Offline Luxor

Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 01:01:38 PM
I only use NiMH and Akoray K-106 3-mode Q5 AA/14500 is my choise for  low budget lights mainly because you can choose your own setting. Programed mine with a low low a high high and somekind of strobe (just to show off).

They have now a cheaper  (USD13.99) 5 mode (non programable) version and Im waiting for mine just to see how good it his.

The rcg2 2 Q5 its my second choise.  Its much brighet at first but it will loose strenght fast compared with Fenix or even Akoray.

Bought many other 1AA budget lights from DX and other online sites but gave all them away.

Use both Romisen and Akoray as backup lights in our family cars

Offline pmoore

Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 05:55:59 PM
Luxor,
  Try running an energizer lithium squared in your AKOray. I have been running one for a couple of weeks. Brighter than a NiMh. and be sure to cut the protection off.

Paul

Report on your cheeper AK when it comes in.
K

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD