Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What Did You Use Your Multitool For Today?

Blackbeard · 5824 · 425286

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Re: What Did You Use Your Multitool For Today?
Reply #5550 on: September 07, 2017, 11:57:04 PM
Doing some maintenance on a flight case.
IMG_0909.jpeg
* IMG_0909.jpeg (Filesize: 349.29 KB)
IMG_0911.jpeg
* IMG_0911.jpeg (Filesize: 334.85 KB)
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #5551 on: September 09, 2017, 09:30:28 PM
Fixit day!

-Tightened the paper towel holder
   Tool used: Rebar

-Tightened a fridge door screw
   Tool used: Doc Allen w/ a Torx bit

-Fix and tighten bathroom doorknob
   Tool used: Rebar

-Striped old gasket out of two ammo cans.
   Tool used: combo tool on the Compact

-Documented what we needed at the hardware store
   Tool used: notepad in the wallet

-Modified a a wire mesh CD organizer to have some larger holes to be hung from the wall
   Tool used: Rebar and DocAllen to modify the organzier, Doc Allen w/ various bits to drill pilot holes and then put in the anchors and screws, and a biner, a bit of cord, and phone's level app

-Searched to make sure that we had some cleaning supplies (do acetone and rubbing alcohal count as domestic multitools?)
   Tool used: Fenix eo1

-Stripped caulking in the shower
   Tool used: Rebar pliers, hemostats
   non-EDC: the can opener of the Climber I keep in the bathroom, putty knife (twin to the one in my winter coat for an ice scraper), utility knife

-Documented that the grout is more worn out than we thought under the caulk.
   Tool used: phone, Rebar and Pocketwrench

-Cut garbage bag and black tape to allow us to have some kind of shower facilities while waiting for opinon from someone who knows more about grout than I do.
   Tool used: Compact blade, black tape from my pack, a contractor bag identical to the one in my bag (counts for EDC?)

- Had a change music with housemate's larger car w/o messing with his radio settings
   Tool used: music on the USB drive that lives with my Compact and e01)

In fact, the only thing my dedicated folder did today was break down cardboard for the recycling bin, which demonstrated that I need to sharpen it

I could have used my drill for some of it, but I forgot to recharge it.

Oh, and common sense. I used my common sense while I spent ten minutes in traffic behind a truly ancient Mercedes with peculiar bumper decor- a raised white fist and a euro-oval bumpersticker saying "ubermench". Not only did I let them live, I didn't even make a rude gesture.

Add in some duct tape and some scrap paracord for various things, and using my phone for music while I was working on the shower.

I feel that my roommates, both of whom are Eagle Scouts who don't even EDC a pocket knife (although in their defense they both work for the state), have witnessed the true power of a fully EQUIPPED and OPERATIONAL EDC. *queue maniacal laughter while a John Williams score rolls from my phone*
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 09:36:24 PM by ironraven »
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5552 on: September 30, 2017, 05:48:14 PM
Gerber CD and Topeak mini ratchet to put my fire pit stand together

20170930_155634 by Kevin Davey, on Flickr

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #5553 on: October 05, 2017, 12:15:33 AM
had been trying to repair an older fenix e21 that I gave to mom years ago and she put alkalines in which of course leaked, my stepfather who recently passed away had tried to fix it and took tail cap apart and couldn't get it back together. so I found the light in a box of stuff along with a Kershaw secret agent knife(will get some pics of that in fixed blade forum soon, its an older version, pretty cool).

Cleaned up the gunk from light filed off corosion with the Leatherman Wave, and spent forever trying to get tail cap back together until I realized the threads on retaining ring are reversed  :twak: Then used the Wave needlenose pliers to spin ring in and light works great now with some duraloops

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5554 on: October 05, 2017, 04:40:22 AM
Forgive a heathen for the question, but what type of battery should be used instead of alkalines?

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #5555 on: October 05, 2017, 06:54:47 AM
Forgive a heathen for the question, but what type of battery should be used instead of alkalines?

For AA or AAA the type is NiMH - Nickel Metal Hydride, best ones are made by Sanyo called Eneloops. Duracell makes them too or in some case rebrands the eneloops. I have a set of energizer ones also , and there are a bunch more brands out there. These are rechargable batteries, and maintain their charge while not in use, you save a lot of money by going this route and they dont leak like alkalines.

If you want to go with a disposable that doesn't leak there are lithium batteries, but cost more, come in various sizes AA, AAA, 9V and CR123 which was first used in cameras, but now widely used in Flashlights, they are the little short batteries. there are also rechargable lithium ion batteries which is a whole other story

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5556 on: October 05, 2017, 08:17:58 AM
Thanks - I have mostly been using Energizer alkaline disposables.
I have already had a leak in a torch which may have been the battery that was supplied with it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:20:19 AM by Syncop8r »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #5557 on: October 05, 2017, 08:35:18 AM
Thanks - I have mostly been using Energizer alkaline disposables.
I have already had a leak in a torch which may have been the battery that was supplied with it.

guessing it was some no name brand, those usually come with some lights, but if it was duracell or energizer they have a replacement policy for your device if it was ruined by a leaky battery, can probably google that info, but give the eneloops a try, you wont regret it, u will need a charger tho, but can get a kit that includes everything

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5558 on: October 05, 2017, 11:57:19 AM
I have a couple of chargers, need to get some more rechargeable batteries.
I haven't seen eneloops here... not sure if we have them or not. :think:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5559 on: October 05, 2017, 01:42:25 PM
A tip for anyone trying to clean up the mess left by a leaking alkaline battery - after you get all the loose crap out, douse it and brush the contacts with some cleaning vinegar, that will neutralise it and help clean the metal components.

And after that, make a mental note not to leave "alkaleak" batteries in anything you care about ever again.  Generally if I must use alkaline batteries in something of value/importance I put them in when I am using the device, then take them out immediately after use.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:44:07 PM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #5560 on: October 07, 2017, 08:29:35 PM
A tip for anyone trying to clean up the mess left by a leaking alkaline battery - after you get all the loose crap out, douse it and brush the contacts with some cleaning vinegar, that will neutralise it and help clean the metal components.
Good tip, I haven't got the battery out yet though!

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Reply #5561 on: October 07, 2017, 08:56:42 PM
Didn't take photos (I need to work on that) but I used the straight edge blade to cut up a large cardboard box so it would fit in the recycling bin.

Danielle
:angel: Sugar, spice and everything nice.  :angel:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5562 on: October 08, 2017, 12:47:04 AM
Didn't take photos (I need to work on that) but I used the straight edge blade to cut up a large cardboard box so it would fit in the recycling bin.

Danielle

You still using the off-brand cheapy, Danielle? Is it still "ticking all the right boxes?"

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Reply #5563 on: October 08, 2017, 01:59:36 AM

Danielle

You still using the off-brand cheapy, Danielle? Is it still "ticking all the right boxes?"

Yeah I am,  still really like it.  Wish the knife held an edge better and the serrated wasn't completely useless but other than that I don't have any major complaints.  It's easy to use,  easy to carry and I feel naked without it.  Has proved to be very useful.

Danielle

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #5564 on: October 08, 2017, 02:48:16 AM

Danielle

Yeah I am,  still really like it.  Wish the knife held an edge better and the serrated wasn't completely useless but other than that I don't have any major complaints.  It's easy to use,  easy to carry and I feel naked without it.  Has proved to be very useful.

Danielle

What's up with the serrated blade? Not sharp, or you just haven't found any need for it?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Damsel

• Damsel in this dress
Reply #5565 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:09 AM
A bit of both really,  it's not particularly sharp but at the same time I don't really know when I should use it.  I've never been in a situation where I've thought to myself "I should be using the serrated blade for this"

Danielle

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5566 on: October 24, 2017, 02:46:44 AM
Supertool 200 to remove this stow away from our vehicle.  Biggest friggin bug I've ever seen in person.

Proud SAKMC member :)

K-Tibbs

se Offline RF52

Reply #5567 on: October 24, 2017, 04:45:15 PM
Used my Legend to do some adjustments for mounting a batteri charger in a bus at work.

Sent fra min PLK-L01 via Tapatalk

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #5568 on: October 25, 2017, 03:55:27 AM
Used my Skeletool to cut the strings out of a women's lacrosse head so I could restring it, then used the pliers to help pull the ends through.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

england Offline Kev D

Reply #5569 on: October 31, 2017, 12:41:21 PM
ST300 to do a bit of walking stick maintenance

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5570 on: November 05, 2017, 10:57:32 AM
Late post... yesterday I opened the package containing newly arrived  Minitool with, fittingly, the Rebar, which had previously seen action in sawing off a small branch.

Sent on my SM-G930F with Tapatalk

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5571 on: November 05, 2017, 01:36:12 PM
It's official, summer is over and the fans are packed away  :-\
2017-11-05 11.44.55.jpg
* 2017-11-05 11.44.55.jpg (Filesize: 214.06 KB)

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #5572 on: November 20, 2017, 03:16:15 AM
Used the Spirit today to fix my car’s license plate which nearly came off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #5573 on: November 20, 2017, 08:10:14 AM
Well done jaya_man, that's what those tools are there for :tu:

Late entry for yesterday - couldn't find the correct topic so fast...

Following a minor washbasin drain plug lift (operation, reduction in ability of) alert in the bathroom, the picture below shows the Supertool 300 VX just after performing powerful, determined and decisive action on a stubborn drain plug lift control rod connector screw :D.

Not in the picture, the subsequent powerful twisting action on the washbasin drain clamping sleeve using the plier heads inside some available and handy orifice on said sleeve, following the discovery that said sleeve had in fact been loose enough to impair the sealing function of the drain gasket, resulting in minor flooding.

The Supertool was carried on the subsequent afternoon stroll by way of commendation and gratitude for services rendered..

(Image removed from quote.)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #5574 on: December 11, 2017, 03:05:51 AM
Special thanks to Madplumbarian for the advice. Used the worlds worst multitool, the $4 pos ozark trail from walmart to install a new flapper assembly for leaking toilet. Just needed a MT to work around the toilet and was not about to use my nice Leatherman or spirit in that environment. I only needed to use the ozark for one lousy phillips screw, the drivers dont lock so it kept trying to close/fold in, got the job done but this thing is an embarrassment to MT's

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #5575 on: February 10, 2018, 09:01:21 AM
Toilet repair talk ultimate thread killer?

Offline raider502

Reply #5576 on: February 18, 2018, 12:47:25 AM
Used a LM Wingman to cut open packages of tabbed dividers to put together disaster manuals for my workplace.  Used the pliers on the Wingman to bend a pocket clip on a used Kershaw Blur that I picked up for my son at the flea market. 

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #5577 on: February 18, 2018, 04:27:39 PM
Used a LM Wingman to cut open packages of tabbed dividers to put together disaster manuals for my workplace.  Used the pliers on the Wingman to bend a pocket clip on a used Kershaw Blur that I picked up for my son at the flea market. 

OMG a Blur!  :ahhh  so nice
Which one?  :pok:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

Offline raider502

Reply #5578 on: February 18, 2018, 04:31:45 PM
It’s an all black serrated tanto.  I spotted it and he got it for $20.  A little cleaning, sharpening, oil, and Loctite on the pocket clip screws and he has a nice knife for a 10 year old.

Offline raider502

Reply #5579 on: February 18, 2018, 10:38:48 PM

My son used the LM Wingman to tighten the screws on the stock of the BB gun he was using.  That BB gun is the same one I had when I was his age.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD