Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

looking for a rescue tool that me and my wife can carry

Offline amw_billythekid

Hey, Just wondering what would be a good rescue/ermergency tool me and my wife could carry I personaly don't mind something with some heft to it. I carry a SOG powerlock as my EDC but my wife on the other hand would want something small that she wouldn't notice to much. If anyone has any suggestions as you see alot of rescue/emergency tools out there and I tend to not believe all the hype that comes with such labels but I would like for us to have something because you never know.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: looking for a rescue tool that me and my wife can carry
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:41:49 PM
Good small tools include the ResQMe from NOV8:

http://www.multitool.org/miscellaneous-tools/keyring-tools/resqme.html

The Benchmade Houdini:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,9149.0.html

There are a few others, like Benchmade's Rescue Hook and the Swiss Tech Bodyguard, but to be honest, I'd stick with the NOV8 ResQMe as it's the smallest and least obtrusive of the bunch.

As for a more robust rescue tool, I'd suggest the Victorinox Rescue Tool:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=273&Itemid=35

Just make sure you get it from a recognized dealer as there are a lot of fakes running around at the moment:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=392&Itemid=35

This one has the added benefit of a significant amount of EDC uses as well as rescue oriented tools.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 07:53:04 PM
You got some great answers from the Boss there amw_billythekid.

I got a ResQMe for myself and one for each of my close family members after my brother had a car crash he luckily survived.  They are small and unobtrusive and do the job.  They can be difficult to grip in a tight situation thanks to their size, but a bit of grip-tape or simply some practice with the tool could overcome this.

The SAK rescue tool is a great piece of kit.  If you're able to carry it around then you won't be disappointed.

A Lifehammer is a great piece of kit to keep in a car in case of emergencies.

Good luck whichever way you go mate :tu:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:14:39 PM
I also carry a ResQMe.  Got one for the wife as well.  Great little tools.
I'm back!!

Offline amw_billythekid

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:42:02 AM
hey, thanks I like the looks of the swiss and I've seen the resquemes around and wasn't sure if the were the real deal or not. However they seem to get pretty good reviews so I'll have to take a closer look at them thanks again

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:38:44 PM
The good thing about the Res-Q-me is its always on your keys , the problem with the Vic is that you could forget it and leave it behind and if you put it in the clove box of your car you may not be able to reach it in a crash . I do like the Vic though and its very well made .

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 08:33:24 PM
The ResQMe is a great little tool- it weighs very little, costs very little and is quite well made and easy to use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 09:09:31 AM
I love the ResQMe, I have several. I had to prove it to myself, I was a skeptic, but it punches out side window glass if you hit near the edge, and cuts belt no problem. The one I have in my truck is mounted just in front of the center globe/light. I pulled the headliner out, punched a couple holes in it, and stuck a grommet in each hole. That way I can loop the keyring through those holes, and it is easily accessible from anywhere in the truck, which is what truly counts in the times you need it.
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%