Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some new toys!

2xTap · 21 · 4176

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Some new toys!
on: July 14, 2009, 08:54:01 AM
Well, since I first found this place a few weeks ago a urge to accumulate MT's has developed. Having been out of the loop on such, and having been a fan of the Gerber I had many years ago I decided I'd start with them. So far I have picked up four new Gerbers.........

About a week ago I snagged these two real cheap off of the 'bay, a Crux and a Ripstop......

They ain't bad. Both seem to be identical except for the handles. Tool set-up is good but I find the blades a bit too short. For light-use tools they would work in a pinch.

Then a few days back I was at my local Target and saw these Clutch's and just couldn't help myself, had to get one.......

.......a neat little tool. Solid little thing, I really like it. Thinking of getting the scissored version, the Shortcut, and EDCing that instead of my Vic Classic SD.

And then today I was out and about and swung by the local Super Walmart to get a few things and made my way to the Sporting Goods section. I hadn't seen these there before, and I have looked, but they had couple this time so...of course...I had to get me one!

This one I really like. The FLIK is a good design similar in some ways to the Leatherman Wave I recently got with the fullsize blades on the outside of the handles. One of the things that drew me to the Gerbers years ago was their sliding plier head, I always liked this feature. I'm liking even more the set-up on the FLIK in that with the head fully engaged and opened they click the handles outward after setting to prevent pinching. Another feature I like on the FLIK is the sliding lock for the tools/blades......pulling back on the locks forces the smaller tools upwards allowing easier deployment. Alot of good design in this one. Although one thing I hate on this thing is the tiny thumbholes on the plain edge and serrated blade. My big thumbs have a hell of a time engeging these to open the blades one handed. I have no problem with those on my LM Wave, but on this FLIK they are just too small for me. Here I would much prefer the thumstud style like those found on the Crux and Ripstop I have.

But outside of that I really like this one......and I'm eyeing the Freehand as my next possible Gerber purchase. I know this all old hat stuff to you guys but I figured I'd post a little eye-candy of some new purchases you all helped me acquire!  :D

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Some new toys!
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 01:25:27 PM
Nice haul.

And thus it starts. I have already been there. Have fun though, because it is an enjoyable ride.  :cheers: :D

I haven't focused on Gerber yet. With that said, I currently have a Suspension, Radius, MP400, MP600 Military OB, Clutch, and a Flik.

On the way is an MP600 Fisherman, an Evolution 650, and 2 Automatic Recoils.

The main issue with the Flik for me are the ridiculously small and almost useless secondary folding tools found in the handles.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 01:27:10 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:57:26 PM
Chako,

Yup, the addiction is catching hold. Problem is, these damn MT's are really taking a bite out of my Slipjoint funds!  :bnghd:

It is something I found odd, the small drivers and can-opener on the Flik. My Crux and Ripstop have tiny blades and large drivers, my Flik has fullsized blades and tiny drivers. Haven't used them yet so I can't say if they are useless or not, but I would of much prefered larger tools here.

I still like it though.  :tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 06:17:18 PM
Yeah. Gerbers sure do make an interesting MT, that is for sure. I decided to focus on Leathermans simply because their designs sort of make more sense to me. I am almost finshed with the Leatherman line to my liking. Once that is up, I will focus on Gerber.

I have always been fascinated by Gerber's sliding plier head design. I had bought an old Carolina Knife and Tool MT that I am told is a Gerber Multiplier knockoff. Later, I started to pick up a few here and there. I even got the Paul Chen Multitasker for its uniqueness. They must have paid Gerber to use that sliding design.

From left to right: Paul Chen Multitasker, Carolina Knife and Tool, Gerber Flik, Gerber Radius, Gerber Suspension, MP400, MP600 BO Military.

And a shot of all the interesting MTs that have that unique sliding pliers action.

That Paul Chen is a real cheap but unique addition to any collection. I consider it a must have for its oddity value. I can’t wait for the Gerber Automatic Recoils to come in. They use a spring assisted pliers head. You press a button, and the head flies up the handles and into the locked and read position. Now if that isn’t interesting, not sure what is. Likewise, the Gerber Evolution 650 is another unique tool that utilizes removable plier heads. Both the Recoil and the Evolution are now discontinued models. I must hand it to Gerber though, they aren’t afraid to push the envelope in MT design….just take a look at the Radius.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 06:19:58 PM
I love Gerber and CRKT, they like to pick up the weird ideas. :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:38:25 AM
Chako,

You got some nice ones there bud......I've been looking at some of the 400 and 600 Series, very much like the original Gerber I had years ago. The BO versions I am really liking. Was wanting a BO Flik but Wally World didn't have any.....and I'm impatient.

Need to get myself a Diesel too. So many MT's so little money! :cry:

2xTap

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:23:37 AM
I got the MP600 in the OTIS kit. I wrote a short report on it in this section.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 08:59:03 AM
Chako,

Saw that, nice one. Helped push me to get one I was watching. Just ordered it.............

............the addiction grows!  :-[

2xTap

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 03:27:41 PM
I did not know they made a yellow version. That is rather intersting. What is that model called?

As for the addiction...yes it does.  :D

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 03:30:57 PM
The yellow one (and a variety of other colours) came from Gerber's 'Build Your Own Tool' program they ran a few years ago where you got to chose the colour of the handles, plier head and blades. Bob (J-Sews) has a few and I got one as a present earlier this year....they do look awesome in person 8)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 03:33:07 PM
Ah that is interesting. Thanks for the information.  :tu:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 05:14:56 PM
Chako,

The dealer I got this one from has a ton of them in-stock, and only asking $34.95 for them new, and they come with a cheap Lumilite flashlight as well. They are MP600's but he doesn't give a factory product code for it.

The dealer is on Ebay though, here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Yellow-Lumilite-AA-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ370214809132QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563285ae2c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

2xTap

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:52 PM
Oh well. My PayPal days are over. Thanks for the link, I may contact him and see if he is willing to let one go via snail mail money order.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 09:15:35 PM
Thanks for the link- I have been after one for a while.  I see he has only the US listed as places he is willing to ship to though.  I'll have to see if I can sucker someone into helping me get one!  :D

Chako, if I can make arrangements for shipping for them, and if you are interested, please drop me a PM.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:42 PM
Wow... I'mma have to get one of those.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 07:24:52 PM
My Yellow MP600 arrived today......nice looking tool. Haven't taken it out of it's packaging yet. Want to take pics of it in it's packaging but haven't got all my camera stuff set-up yet. New PC and we haven't downloaded all the software for our toys yet....hopefully today we can get that done.

Pics will be coming soon.  :tu:

2xTap

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 11:30:28 PM
Nice grouping there!

I've only got a couple of Gerbers right now, though I do have a Diesel floating in the ether, waiting to materialize here.

I've used one of the Clutch tools quite a bit.  They are nice, solid little tools.  I toted mine in the bottom of my work case when I was running title.  In some courthouses, they allow you to take the books apart to remove pages to make your own copies of instruments.  You pull a book that's been on the shelf for 50 years and try to yank the binder hooks loose... And, well a small pair of pliers could be a godsend.  I was always leery of pulling a full-sized MT out in a records room.  (And, sometimes security prevents you from bringing such a tool into the courthouse anyway.)

I've also known books to lose endpieces off the binder handles, and thus you were presented with a jagged piece of metal sticking out of the spine of the book...  Again, those little pliers were great to remedy that.  (Better than what one of the lawyers in my home town did.  He tracked down a maintenance guy, borrowed a large screwdriver, came back to the records room, and proceeded to use the handle to beat the endpiece till it bent.  Quite amusing to watch...)
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 11:32:20 PM
Ordered a yellow MP600 too. I decided I'd only get one and I'd get it right.

Yellow makes it right. :D
Got those frog legs.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 02:43:10 PM
Ordered a yellow MP600 too. I decided I'd only get one and I'd get it right.

Yellow makes it right. :D

Nice one mate :)

Plenty of pics when it arrives?

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 05:56:08 AM
HBlaine,

A Diesel is high on my list to get......looking at getting a BO version. Missed out on a auction for one a little bit back that went cheap. Kicking myself over that one. Haven't used my Clutch yet, haven't had much opportunity to use any of my tools yet. Though I do like the little Clutch, wanting to get all of them including the Vise's too.

I was hoping to have pics of my new stuff up, including that Yellow MP600, today but wasn't around much today and still haven't had time to get all my camera stuff going. Sometime this week hopefully I'll get this new computer squared away. Taking me a while to get used to Vista.  :-\

2xTap

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 06:14:58 PM

Although one thing I hate on this thing is the tiny thumbholes on the plain edge and serrated blade. My big thumbs have a hell of a time engeging these to open the blades one handed. I have no problem with those on my LM Wave, but on this FLIK they are just too small for me. Here I would much prefer the thumstud style like those found on the Crux and Ripstop I have.
2xTap
[/quote]
Adding thumb studs to the Flik is easy. I found some plastic screws that would just fit in the thumb holes. Line them up to where you want them then smack it with a hammer. When I get a chance, I will post some pics.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:16:49 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31