Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

DIY Escape Tool

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
DIY Escape Tool
on: July 16, 2009, 01:51:14 AM
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: DIY Escape Tool
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 06:40:14 AM
Great idea that :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 05:47:04 PM
cool idea, i'll just go buy one... oh wait i have one, its call my wave ! :oops:
'

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 06:35:11 PM
Why is it that the white ceramic part of a Spark plug is so good at breaking toughened glass ?  :think:

Dunc

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:41:21 PM
Why is it that the white ceramic part of a Spark plug is so good at breaking toughened glass ?  :think:

Dunc
Good question.  All I know is that it is popular to break the ceramic out of the spark plug and throw them through car windows...f$^%'in punks.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:43:35 PM

Dunc
Good question.  All I know is that it is popular to break the ceramic out of the spark plug and throw them through car windows...f$^%'in punks.
I'd imagine it was a combination of the shape giving it an impact over a very small, focused area, and the fact that the ceramic material is extremely hard.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 06:55:55 PM
What ever the spark plug insulator is made of it breaks glass real easy. Ghetto thieves EDC a peice in there pocket.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 08:20:40 PM
Somehow, I think I'd rather be carrying a manufactured tool so as to have someone to blame when it doesn't work right... :(
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 09:44:41 PM
When i got my Swiss rescue tool i went to picknpull auto wrecker to try it out on cracked windows and seat belts we all so did the spark plug thing it worked well. We took a spark insulator and taped on the windows and we thew the insulator at the windows both ways it shattered the safety glass.
Mike

Mike

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:15:06 AM
Somehow, I think I'd rather be carrying a manufactured tool so as to have someone to blame when it doesn't work right... :(
Id rather you used something my daughter made....hopefully I would have enough time to reach into your burning, sinking vehicle to relieve you of your knives and MT's before it was too late.  :cry:

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:19:25 AM
Yer after the wrong guy there. :D

I'm the cheapo, remember?
Got those frog legs.

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:09:02 AM
Yer after the wrong guy there. :D

I'm the cheapo, remember?
Yeah but I think I may be even cheaper so your crap may be better than my crap.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:46 PM
The insulator from a spark plug is in fact porcelain,

interestingly the same material used in teeth Veneers,if that's the case in an emergency one could just bang ones face off the window  :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:43:15 PM by JohnM »

um Offline mzil

Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 01:07:56 AM
It makes perfect sense that a rescue tool is a permanent feature of your keychain and no bigger than say, a key. I wish instead of this DIY one I could just buy one but I want it to be no bigger than this one. Does anyone know of a commercial version this size?

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 01:34:01 AM
It makes perfect sense that a rescue tool is a permanent feature of your keychain and no bigger than say, a key. I wish instead of this DIY one I could just buy one but I want it to be no bigger than this one. Does anyone know of a commercial version this size?

Well not exactly this size, a bit bigger. I have a "resQme" in my car. I live between two rivers, every so often someone drives into one of them, so I play it safe. I prefer to gave a spring loaded centre punch. Who knows if you'll have enough space/strength/time to swing something with enough force.

Automotive Rescue Tool - Res-Q-Me
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 01:37:04 AM by enki_ck »

um Offline mzil

Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 02:24:25 AM
^Thanks, but my key chain is already too big and over crowded as is. That tool would be way too big to add to it. I was really hoping for one like the DIY version of this thread: no bigger than a key.

Maybe I will just have to bite the bullet and make one.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 02:26:10 AM by mzil »

us Offline hugh_h

Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 05:13:39 AM
This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but after working in the automotive safety group of my company for 19 years, I really don't think there's much use for these rescue tools. A first responder--fireman or police officer--might need to break some glass or something, but I never heard of an individual who needed to cut away a locked belt or break glass to escape a wrecked car. Sure, there are people that need the "jaws of life," but you can't carry that in your pocket. You should also see how windshield makers try to make their glass impenatrable...it's not like you cause a pin point dent and the thing breaks apart. (Although, the side glass isn't as tough--make a note of that.)

And if I *still* thought I might need some kind of escape tool to save my life, I sure wouldn't:
a. Do it myself to make something out of a several layers of a credit card and a piece of spark plug, or
b. Leave it on a key ring, that could get locked in place during the crash when the steering column got all jammed up. What if you can't remove your key? Are you going to remove the emergency tool from the ring? If you're in a life-or-death situation, don't count on your fine motor skills!

DIY stuff can be cute...but--If you really think you need an escape tool to save your life, this ain't the one you want.

um Offline mzil

Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:47:30 AM
It is however the only small enough one I've ever seen that I'd consider carrying on my person every single time I leave the house. Any thing larger, such as a rescue-me, I'd never carry on me 24/7 even if you paid me 10 dollars a week to do so, and somthing (the DIY one) is better than nothing.

'Yes, I guess buying a giant one you leave in each car and have another version for travel or when in friends' and co workers cars (making you "Mr Geek" in their eyes) will function better, but that's just not happening for my kind of lifestyle.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:53:32 AM by mzil »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD