Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another new purchase question. Vic X, Vic w/tool kit or Vic RS?

Offline colubrid

Re: Another new purchase question. Vic X, Vic w/tool kit or Vic RS?
Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 07:49:46 AM
Okay I just found this on Sosaks site. I guess this helps a bit.

There is three models to choose from , the std one which features are listed above , the X which has scissors instead of a serrated blade and the RS that is the same as the X but has a curved serrated belt cutting blade instead of a file .You can also get a Plus model which comes with a seperate corkscrew and a bit wrench .

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 02:10:56 PM
Personally, my favorite in the group is the X since I lik ethe scissors.  It has the full blown Victorinox scissors, not the abbreviated Spirit type scissors, which is kind of nice.

I have two original SwissTools, one in chrome and one in black as you can see here in Dave's review:
http://multitool.org/content/view/20/1/

Other than a few different tools, they are all pretty well the same, so try to figure out which tool you need the most and go with that one.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2006, 03:34:22 PM
okay the X it is. Thanks again Defender!

Offline colubrid

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2006, 03:43:41 PM

Just one more question on the RS and X.

Does the RS have a larger bulkier frame? I see it does not show the red swisstool stamp on it, which I like, and it just does not look that attractive in general. Is it just the pics or are they the same knife with just diferent tools?

Offline TexasFlood

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2006, 04:26:07 PM

Just one more question on the RS and X.

Does the RS have a larger bulkier frame? I see it does not show the red swisstool stamp on it, which I like, and it just does not look that attractive in general. Is it just the pics or are they the same knife with just diferent tools?

The Swisstool orignal, RS and X are all virtually identical, same frame, same finishes (polished stainless or black anodized), same stamps (red stamp on one side & engraved on the other) - it's just a matter of tool selection.  Compared to the original Swisstool, the RS swiches serrated blade with a serrated belt cutter and replaces the file with scissors and the X swaps the serrated blade with scissors.  Common tools are pliers, 2mm, 3mm, 5mm, and 7.5mm flat head screwdrivers, wire cutter, bottle opener, large blade, metal saw, wood saw, reamer, Phillips screwdriver, chisel, strong crate opener, wire bender, wire stripper, wire scraper, can opener, 9-inch and 230mm ruler, electrical crimper, lanyard hold.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 17, 2006, 05:27:48 PM
TexasFlood is right on the money.  All the SwissTools are virtually identical sized.  There may be fractions of millimeters of a difference from one model to the next, but I doubt it.  Victorinox quality comes from manufacturing precision, and they have a variety of tools in certain "sizes" so they probably only exchance a sixe "x" tool for another size "x" tool. 
That also helps keeps cost lower as they can then use the same backspring/lock mechanism that they do for all the other ones rather than have to have so many for the RS, so many for the original and so on.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 11:24:44 PM
Aprilia?
Speaking of SwissTool variations, is this black one from Aprilia racing any different than the regular black finish ones?

Link: http://www.speed-sports.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=620

~Bob
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 11:55:03 PM
Looks pretty standard to me...
Def
Icon_ApAcc_BlackIron-512.jpg
* Icon_ApAcc_BlackIron-512.jpg (Filesize: 51.17 KB)

Offline TexasFlood

Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 04:42:14 AM
Aprilia?
Speaking of SwissTool variations, is this black one from Aprilia racing any different than the regular black finish ones?

Link: http://www.speed-sports.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=620

~Bob
Looks like the painted logo is customized and the price seems to have been raised for this feature.  This one has the black oxidized finish.  But functionally, in terms of tools, it looks identical to the standard polished stainless steel Swisstool that I paid $40 for a couple of years ago.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 01:29:22 PM
Yes, I agree.

(and yes, that painted logo appears to be a mighty expensive feature.)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%