Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swisstool Spirit and X: did I get the proportions right?

Offline Zio Arcano

Lately I've been thinking about investing some money and buy a Spirit (which I'm still waiting for), but today I woke up and felt like I really need a Swisstool X too! So, before actually buying one, I want to compare it to the Spirit. I've made kind of a wallpaper to compare the two. Do you think the proportions are correct?

« Last Edit: April 27, 2007, 12:20:31 PM by Zio Arcano »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Swisstool Spirit and X: did I get the proportions right?
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:28:48 PM
Those proportions look pretty close.  As you see from these pictures, the actual size difference between the two isn't major, but they do feel worlds apart when you actually have them both in your hands.  It's one of those non-quantifiable things that Victorinox excels at.

Def
ST01.JPG
* ST01.JPG (Filesize: 65 KB)
ST03.JPG
* ST03.JPG (Filesize: 55.11 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:29:52 PM
This SwissTool isn't an X model since I don't have one, but they are all pretty well the same size.

Def
ST02.JPG
* ST02.JPG (Filesize: 69.86 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:59:46 PM
I know my girlfriend is going to think I'm crazy, but I'm getting a Swisstool X too. It looks strong, tough and heavy, the right counterpoint to the Spirit. The idea was to get the Spirit and then a Leatherman Wave, but I've played with the Wave a few days ago and it just doesn't feel right to me. The design is superb, it looks cool and the blades are really easy to open (especially if you're holding something with your left hand) but the overall quality and toughness don't seem to match those on the Swisstool. And all those "...the steel may rust so be extremely careful" you can read on their website scare me a little. I still like it a lot, though.

Thanks for the pics!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 01:13:35 PM
the comparative LM tool to the swisstool is the Surge I believe, not the wave, may want to check that out first.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:20:04 PM
Defnately.  The SuperTool is on par with the Core, Surge and the SuperTools.  It's hard to compare the Wave to those models.

And, I think the rust issue is minor at best, and the kind of thing where someone had a minor problem and everyone else blew it out of proportion.  See the thread in the LM forum here where everyone listed off the LM's that rusted and it all seems to be minor surface rust.

Def

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:58:14 PM
I guess that cleaning and drying carefully the tool after use can keep it safe from rust, but sometimes it's reassuring to know that even if you forget to do that and let the tool soak in salty water for a day, a Victorinox multitool won't fall apart because of corrosion. My experience with Swiss Army Knives tells me that, I feel I can trust Victorinox steel more that any other when it comes to deal with corrosion and acids. That is actually why I compared the Wave to the Swisstool X/Spirit: it's more about overall quality and steel reliability than size.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 02:04:16 PM
I don't think any company can compete with Victorinox's resistance to rust or corrosion.  While saying that Leatherman is the most susceptible, it's still significantly more rust resistant than most other tools in your toolbox.  Quite frankly I always thought that reputation wasn't warranted.

But, comparing just about anything to Victorinox will often leave you at a serious disadvantage!

Def

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 02:43:57 PM
I don't think any company can compete with Victorinox's resistance to rust or corrosion.  While saying that Leatherman is the most susceptible, it's still significantly more rust resistant than most other tools in your toolbox.  Quite frankly I always thought that reputation wasn't warranted.

But, comparing just about anything to Victorinox will often leave you at a serious disadvantage!

Def

Although I'm sure that having a strong competitor forces a company to improve its work more and more,wouldn't it be fun if Leatherman and Victorinox worked together to combine Leatherman's design with Victorinox's quality to build the ultimate multitool? I know it will not happen and I will eventually stick to Victorinox (since I need a steel that I'm sure I can abuse without fear), but it would be a funny experiment..  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 02:52:38 PM
Yup.  Victorinox really does take alot of the concern out of multitool ownership!  Mind you, they've been at it for over a hundred years now.  Just imagine what Leathermans will be like when they get to that point!

Def

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:21 PM
its almost......scary  :o

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 07:08:18 PM
You cant go wrong with a Swisstool X , and I have a Spirit too  ;)

Dunc

Offline Zio Arcano

Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 07:58:09 PM
A perfect couple.  ;)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 06:28:18 AM
Oooh, pretty pictures Dunc! Are those from your new camera?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 11:07:48 AM
Oooh, pretty pictures Dunc! Are those from your new camera?

I thought you had already seen them , sometimes I forget what I have posted and this must have slipped through the net .Yes taken with the new camera  :D

Dunc

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 02:42:04 PM
I posted several Spirit versus SwissTool X comparison photos last January in this thread:

http://edcforums.com/index.php?topic=6728.0

I don't know if you must be logged into the EDCforums web site to view them.

Here are a couple of those photos:
st-vs-spirit-side.jpg
* st-vs-spirit-side.jpg (Filesize: 27.46 KB)
sw-vs-spirit.width.jpg
* sw-vs-spirit.width.jpg (Filesize: 37.97 KB)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 02:44:41 PM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 07:36:56 PM
Just a reminder to everyone. If you are considering a new MT (or Swiss Army Knife), let me know what you need and I will give you a quote.  I don't keep a lot of non-Vic MTs on hand but can usually get them. I carry SwissTools, Spirits, etc. in stock. My price quotes always include shipping and I guarantee complete ecstatic joy with your item or money back.  :cheers:
T

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 02:51:16 AM
Do I know you? :P

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 12:08:01 PM
Stop it, stop it, stop it now!

I don,t need a spirit i really don,t i,ve already got a swisstool x, but these pics are weakining me ::) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 12:25:25 PM
Micky, haven't you learned by now in all your time in SOSAK that there is no one who doesn't need a Spirit?  Or an OHT? Or a Copper Cadet, or Scientist, or Yeoman, Mauser, Champion, Classic, etc etc etc?

Just give in and order a Spirit from Felinevet- your life will be much less stressful if you stop fighting the inevitable!

:multi:
This could be you, enjoying your new Spirit on a sunny beach in Spain... doesn't that sound like fun?  But you have to get a Spirit first... we can help you with that, the rest is up to you! :P

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 07:20:35 PM
Micky, haven't you learned by now in all your time in SOSAK that there is no one who doesn't need a Spirit?  Or an OHT? Or a Copper Cadet, or Scientist, or Yeoman, Mauser, Champion, Classic, etc etc etc?

Just give in and order a Spirit from Felinevet- your life will be much less stressful if you stop fighting the inevitable!

:multi:
This could be you, enjoying your new Spirit on a sunny beach in Spain... doesn't that sound like fun?  But you have to get a Spirit first... we can help you with that, the rest is up to you! :P

Def
your not helping >:D

i may get one near the end of the month, natraully from tim ;)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 07:40:02 PM
Yes I am... just give in to the dark side... search your feelings, you know it to be true....

>:D

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 07:57:26 PM
The thing that get me about the Spirit is that the handles curve out, and it seems it would make an uncomfortable grip. The reason I bought the SwissTool in the first place was that, when closed, the pliers MT that I had was almost in a perfect "V" shape, while the SwissTools silhouette was almost a perfect rectangle, with a small indentation to help open it.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 04:49:48 AM
Form follows function. The Spirit looks a little unusual in the closed position, but the great "feel" in your hand in the open position makes it all worthwhile!  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%