Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can This Be Fixed??

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Can This Be Fixed??
on: July 19, 2009, 08:01:36 PM
The bottom scale on the yellow rescue tool is not flush with the bolster,(just under driver/bottle opener, about 1/4 of the way in to the center of tool.) Should have sent it back, noticed this a few hours after I got it. but when wrist flicking the stiff new blade, it went flying into my balcony deck, and dinged the far left on top.

Anyway, I will use it at work, so not too worried, but looking for a suggestion on possibly gluing the scale down so it sits flush, any ideas??? Thanks, BB

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Re: Can This Be Fixed??
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:20:36 PM
I can't really see the problum in the pic. I am thinking you could remove the scale and see what is going on with it. I am sure others that know a lot more than i do will chime in.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:37:26 PM
I'll put some more pics up in a few, was just being lazy and used pics from an older thread.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:49:16 PM
I can see what you mean - one of my SAKs has the scale slightly elevated like that (by a fraction of a mm).  Its never fallen off though.

A bit of superglue under the scale should help - apply a small brushing of glue, then weigh the SAK down under a book for a few hours to allow for complete curing of the glue.  A resinous glue could also be used, but leave it for longer to dry.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:07 PM
Some more pics, excuse the slight blur, I don't have a tripod:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 08:53:39 PM
Personally, I'd just leave it as it is.
I'm back!!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 08:55:14 PM
I can see what you mean - one of my SAKs has the scale slightly elevated like that (by a fraction of a mm).  Its never fallen off though.

A bit of superglue under the scale should help - apply a small brushing of glue, then weigh the SAK down under a book for a few hours to allow for complete curing of the glue.  A resinous glue could also be used, but leave it for longer to dry.

I was considering super glue, but not sure if it works on metal/plastic combo.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 08:59:05 PM
Personally, I'd just leave it as it is.

Another option I was considering, gluing may prove disatrous if I miss and cant wipe it for before it dries.

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:00:17 PM

It does, but its not always the best.  If you roughen the surfaces to be bonded with sandpaper first it helps strengthen the bond - especially that polished vic finish.  Do you need to glue it though?  It might be more trouble than its worth.

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 09:14:37 PM

It does, but its not always the best.  If you roughen the surfaces to be bonded with sandpaper first it helps strengthen the bond - especially that polished vic finish.  Do you need to glue it though?  It might be more trouble than its worth.

No, I dont need to do it, but it would be nice if it was in the condition I expected.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 09:59:34 PM
While I'm sure it's annoying, I'd be inclined to leave it too :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 10:25:55 PM
 :salute: I'd be a fool not to agree with the big cheeses around here on this topic  :D, so I'll leave it be  :salute:

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 11:15:30 PM
If I were you I'd try to use a heat gun to see if I can make the scale flat (heat up and put under weight), if not then use a toothpick to dab some superglue under the gap and put under weight.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:47:24 PM
:salute: I'd be a fool not to agree with the big cheeses around here on this topic  :D, so I'll leave it be  :salute:

:D

I'd leave it myself but if it really bothers you then I'd pop the scale at the back pin and gently lift it (no point on disturbing the other fixing points).  As others have suggested brush a bit of glue in the affected area, but also on the pin head should see it right.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:57:23 PM
i've had this on one sak, too
in my case, the middle part of the scale was just not sitting tight around the place where the scale should snap on.
i just put a towel ower the knife and persuaded the scale with a little hammer to go where it should and everything was fine.

from what the pic says, it does not have to be a bent scale maybe its just not fitting the point to hold the scale.
i wish i could tell you in german ...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD