Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

ARC LEDs or other suggestions for an EDC light

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
ARC LEDs or other suggestions for an EDC light
on: May 25, 2007, 04:01:46 AM
I've been eyeing those little ARC lights.  I've been looking for a good EDC light that could actually be used to get around in the dark with.  Right now I'm just carrying a small LED on my keychain (the $1 CountyComm LED)...I'd basically use it to find my way to a decent flashlight if the lights went out.  I keep one in my pocket at home for that reason. 

The little Fenix lights look like something I could pocket every day, but the ARC lights are made here in the US and it would probably be easier to deal with customer service if something were to happen to it.

I'm looking to spend under $30 for a light I can slip into my pocket that can also serve as a 'real' flashlight.

That said, I noticed ARC has a new limited edition or something out now...so if anyone wants to sell their old ARC to get the new one... 8)
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: ARC LEDs or other suggestions for an EDC light
Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 05:00:28 AM
I would recommend the LOD-CE.  You will have no issues with customer service, as long as Fenix-Store is around.  True that you wouldn't get comparable service from the factory though.

Don't forget about Peak LED solutions.  They are another great American company.
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 12:34:52 PM
I second the support for Fenix.  I'd buy an American made light if it was half as good as the Fenix and even in the same ballpark for price.

Seriously, give one a shot- you won't be disappointed in it.  I had read nothing but good stuff about them myself and was skeptical when I got it, but even so I was amazed at how perfect it was in every regard.  The switch had some problems, but Lighthound sent off a new switch ASAP so I wouldn't have to be without my light.  CS doesn't get any better than that, especially since I wasn't even the original purchaser.  I also knew the switch was defective when I bought it, so that really didn't concern me much.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:00:35 PM
I'd buy an American made light if it was half as good as the Fenix and even in the same ballpark for price.

IMO, Fenix aren't as well made as ARC, Peak or Surefire lights, but they really deliver on performance for the price.

A bit OT, but if you're looking for a REALLY well made, affordable, hand-made American flashlight, you need to take a look at Elektro Lumens.  Most of them are not suitable for EDC, but they are built like tanks.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 02:20:31 PM
Maybe it's just the configuration of the lights that I have, but I have Surefire, Peak, Mag, Victorinox (Emissive Energy Corp), Inova (also EEC I think), and Streamlight and I don't see much, if any difference in quality amongst any of them.  Certainly not the level of difference between US made and China made tools or SAKs.

In fact, my small Peak light (the Matterhorn I think) seems like more of a cheap knockoff than the L1P does, but in Peak's defense I think this is a significantly older light.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 07:59:43 PM
I've owned several Matterhorns and many other Peak models and I find it hard to even compare their quality with Fenix.  The machining is MUCH cleaner--especially at the threads, the aluminum used is harder, the type III anodizing is considerably more durable, and the electronics are virtually hermetically sealed in the head of the light.  The peak also has no switch, which is a known weakness of the Fenix line.

With that said, I own more Fenix lights than any other brand.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 08:13:22 PM
I wonder if my Peak is a knockoff then?  It is certainly nice enough, but I don't think it compares to the quality of my Fenix...

And I understand that a switch is a weak point on any light, but I prefer to have it.  Twisting the head or tail is a pain in the butt...

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 04:23:33 PM
Twisting the head or tail is a pain in the butt...

Def

No argument there... 

I have been known to suck the head and squeeze the tail on occasion however.   :grin:

« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 04:25:21 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 08:02:34 PM
Under water bugs... count me out! :P

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 11:59:55 PM
Not even lobster? Crab?  ???

Back to flashlights...I just read up on this light..anyone have any experience with this one?  Or the company that makes it?

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/jetbeam_jet-1mk2.htm

EDIT:
Anyone know where they are made?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:04:38 AM by Corrugated »
[

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 02:20:39 AM
Yep, I'm familiar with Jetbeam.  They're very comparable to Fenix, and are also Chinese.  These have a very nice user interface, but I prefer Fenix's.  The natural type III ano on the Jetbeams is probably a bit more durable.

My advice, if you're going to buy a Chinese light, is to buy a Fenix.  This is mainly due to Fenix-store's incredible service.  David Chow (owner of the Fenix store) will replace defective Fenix lights from his inventory, regardless of where the light was purchased.  He also is quick with orders and offers free shipping.
- Terry

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 02:39:26 AM
Are there any Fenix lights with tailcap switches, or are they all twist on/off?  Are there any versions with power settings (low light setting)...I know I know...I'm going to research that now ;D
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 02:58:24 AM
The L1P I have has a tailcap switch which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

And as for the lobsters and crabs, I don't eat any seafood for religeous reasons.  I'm devout Defhateseafoodism.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 04:12:37 PM
Oh, I almost forgot.  You should check out Lumapower also.  I would classify them as slightly better quality than Fenix, and I've had great service directly from the manufacturer.  The only downside is that they have a limited range of products.

http://www.lumapower.com/

The information on their website will be somewhat limited until CPF returns from maintenance.
- Terry

Offline damota

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 11:57:58 PM
Funny you mentioning Lumapower I was going to ask your opinion on this baby-

http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk/termekekmain.php?csoportid=41#54

the LUMAPOWER MRV, basically are they worth the extra cash? I would be running it on rechargeable's.

Dave

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 03:13:47 AM
I'm thinking of ordering this:

http://fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=104

The price is right ($29.25 shipped) and it has everything I want.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD