Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM Pulse Review

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
LM Pulse Review
on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:50 AM
I Love This Tool!!!

Is there anything more to say than that???  Well, yes there is.  This thing is amazing.  I know that some of you are just waiting for me to comment on the locks and I will, but I want to go over the other stuff first.  
Overall:
This thing is so freaking lightweight but solid and it is a breeze to open.  When the pliers are open gravity alone with close them.  There is no sticking, scraping, or clunking.  Just smooth...almost like a ball bearing.  It's awesome.  It feels fantastic in my hand, not too big and I like the rounded edges of the handles.  I just cannot say enough about how smooth it is.  I just can't believe it.  Even my Wave feels "slow" compared to this.
Pliers:
I like them a lot!  They are very comparable to the Wave pliers, I loosened some bolts with it and my Wave to compare and they worked great.  It is actually a bit preferrable to the wave in that I can get my hand around the handles better thus making getting into awkward places a little easier.  At first I thought that maybe they wouldn't be "hard" enough because they felt so light...I was afraid that if I really cranked on a bolt or something that I would bend them.  Or if I used the wire cutters to cut something I would create a "dent" (for lack of proper vocab) in the edges of the plier cutters...Nope, not a problem.  Freaking fantastic.  
Tools:
Mm, Mm, Mm, Mm, Mm...I am in love with the screwdriver, specifically the phillips on this tool.  But I'll get to that.  I have read a lot about the tool clumping and how it is a bit annoying for some and others not so much.  I'm kind of in between that.  I don't have anything against it per se, but finger was not very happy with it when I cut myself on the knife blade while trying to put some of the other tools back.  However, that was more of an operator problem than the tool's fault.   ;)

The tools were very tight coming out at first, but loosened up very quickly.  The three flathead screwdrivers (jeweler's, small, and somewhere between med and larger) are very nice.  I found all kinds of things to use them on and was very pleased.  Again, the tiny one fits my glasses great and I even fixed my roommate's sunglasses as well.  I should mention that the tiny flathead is not clumped with the other two.  The two larger ones are in the same handle as the scissors and the knife blade.  The tiny one is in the handle with the phillips, can opener, file, and lanyard ring. They lock up solidly with no play at all which is a major plus in my book.  The scissors are about like the ones on the Wave but IMO not as good as the scissors on the Juice.  But again they cut very well all along the length...which is good.  In the same handle, the knife blade is very very nice...if a little thin in my opinion. Now, I'm not sure why I think that because when you compare them, the width of the spine on the Pulse blade is actually wider than the Juice.  But it just feels..."thin" when I cut with both of them.  It might have something to do with the blade designs, I'm not sure.  Still it was very sharp out of the box...I haven't felt the need to touch it up yet because it slices so nicely.  Again, because this tools feels much thinner than the Wave, it is very comfortable in my hand when slicing paper, tape, and paracord.  I really like it.
On to the other handle:
Now, the phillips head (I wish I had gotten a better shot of this today, but for some reason I was camera stupid today and just couldn't get it).  I love this little tool.  Somebody over at LM must have just picked up a pretty standard sized screwdriver and said "Huh, I'll just cut this off here and put in the tool".  It is a normal screwdriver.  I have taken off door handles, loosened screws on my bike, took apart the toaster, put the toaster back together...it is just amazing.  The reach on this screwdriver is also much better than the Wave or the Juice.  Neither of those are bad, but this one just rocks!  I love it.

I haven't really used the can opener except to lift the tab of a particularly stubborn can of tuna so I don't know if it will really open a can or not.  But I'm sure I'll try it eventually.  :)

The file, also, has not seen much use yet, but it did file down a rough point on my hiking stick quite nicely.  My roommate said it worked well on her nails.   ::) It is very nice though.  

The lanyard ring was a nice little surpise.  It doesn't roll out with the other tools when you pull out the file because it actually comes out the bottom of the handle.  I did put a lanyard on it just to see if it would get in the way if I needed to use the tool...I didn't do much research on this, but it worked fine when I took a doorknob off.  Didn't twist or get in the way at all. It also moves about 90 degrees so I think that helped.  

The Locks:
I know ya'll wanna know what I think about these and I'll be honest: When I first got it I almost sent it back!  LOL.  Just kidding.  Ya'll were right, the locks on this thing are very weird.  At first.  And admittedly, I'm still trying to figure out the best, smoothest "yes this is my tool and I know how to use it" way to disengage the locks, but I'm getting better.  It is definitely not a one handed deal.  The locks, near as I can tell, work on the same general principle as the tool locks on the Wave.  But, instead of pressing a nice wide button straight down, the locks on the Pulse act via a funny little mechanism where when you slide the lock, it depresses one end of a little lever which lifts up on the other end thus disengaging the lock.  Kind of like a see-saw.  It's actually kind of interesting. FYI: You can also disengage the lock by taking the other tools out. Back to the topic...Let's say you wanna use a screwdriver...you open the tool, get the screw driver out (push all the other tools back in the handle), the screwdriver locks, you fold it back up, use the screwdriver and now you wanna put it back.  So you open the tool back up and go to slide your thumb along the jimped lock to slide it back...but your hands are slightly sweaty or oily or something...you can't get it to slide so you go to the end of the little halfmoon lock and slide...it's a bit awkward.  I have discovered that it's a little more "dignified" to do it two handed.  Overall, the locks aren't that bad.  And they are loosening up and getting easier to use.  And because they are so unique they have that "Huh, that's kind of cool" factor going that makes me like tool even more.  

Overall I'm extremely pleased with this tool.  Someone asked me if I thought I would carry the Juice or Pulse for EDC or at work and my answer is: I think that for general, "I'm just going to bum around town" EDC I'd carry the Juice, but I would keep the Pulse in my locker or bag at work for the stuff that I often use my MT for.  Neither of them will replace my Wave in my heart of in my EDC bag.  :) It's not that I think that the Pulse would not be useful for the harder stuff that I do, it's just that the Wave is a tad more user friendly when your hands are really busy.  I will and do use the Pulse and I just can't say enough how impressed I am with how light and smooth it is.  
Okay, that's it.  Sorry I didn't have more pictures.  Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.  If I missed anything or if there are any questions, please let me know.  Actually, let me know what you thought anyway, please.  :D
Thanks all,
Gray

« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:57:46 AM by GraysonK »
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: LM Pulse Review
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:15:35 AM
As another big Pulse fan I'm very glad you like it.  :)  I disengage the locks slightly differently to you though.  After using a tool (screwdriver for example) I'll disengage the lock before splitting the handles apart.  I find this gives a much better grip on the handles as both parts are filling your hand and much better leverage on the lock.  So now you part fold the tool, split the handles and then push the tool home.  I think that's clear, but as always YMMV.  :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:59:03 AM
As another big Pulse fan I'm very glad you like it.  :)  I disengage the locks slightly differently to you though.  After using a tool (screwdriver for example) I'll disengage the lock before splitting the handles apart.  I find this gives a much better grip on the handles as both parts are filling your hand and much better leverage on the lock.  So now you part fold the tool, split the handles and then push the tool home.  I think that's clear, but as always YMMV.  :)

Ah!  Okay, I tried it two or three times but now I see what you meant.  Very cool. Thanks.
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:14:12 AM
Nice review mate!

[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:22:08 PM
Yes. Very nice review.

Not only does the Pulse hold a great sentimental value to me because it was my Father's, but I firmly believe it is one of the jewels in the Leatherman Lineup. It has the feel, quality, and tool set that makes it the almost perfect multi-tool. The locks impart it that charm that others seem to lack (it is however, a love it or hate it thing though). The Super Tool 200 has the same locking system, but to many, is viewed as being a bit big for EDC unless you’re a tradesperson or like. The Pulse is just the right size.

I am happy that you like your Pulse Gray. I am sure it will give you many years of good service. :cheers:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 03:03:35 PM
The Pulse has the feel of a larger tool but is just so terrifically compact & still retains a solidness that you rarely find in compact tools 8) 8) 8) 8) 8).
Welcome to 'Club Pulse' :D :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 06:15:52 PM
Another fine review.  :tu:  I'm glad the locks didn't completely put you off like it did me as the tool overall was great.  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 06:30:33 PM
Oddly I think I'm one of the few who likes the locks :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:43 PM
Thanks for the review! I've been wanting one of these since I registered here.

Now as soon as someone sends me one I can be one of those lock-loving people... :D
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 08:53:10 PM
Really good review...  :tu:
But dang, now I want one too...  :P :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 08:59:12 PM
Whew, thanks guys.  I'm glad I did ok.  My wanting this is yet another thing I can blame on all of you...LOL.  Seriously, it's just a really cool, functional little tool.  I wanted one of the older LM's mainly because of my uncle who passed away a couple of years ago.  He was a contractor and all around handy man...he could fix or build anything and I loved playing with his MT when I was a kid.  His much used, much beloved PST has been forever retired to me, but I think he would have liked this tool too...he probably would have tried to make one of his own because he would have loved those locks.  It sounds weird, but I don't want to try to get a PST or a PST II because to me that was his and his alone.  Might not make much sense to any of you, but he was one of those people that encouraged me to be my own person even when I was following him around at age 8 with a "home made" tool belt "helping" him.  I miss him a lot.  For that reason, this tool will hold a special place. Anyway, thanks for the replies.
Gray

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:05:04 PM
Whew, thanks guys.  I'm glad I did ok.  My wanting this is yet another thing I can blame on all of you...LOL.  Seriously, it's just a really cool, functional little tool.  I wanted one of the older LM's mainly because of my uncle who passed away a couple of years ago.  He was a contractor and all around handy man...he could fix or build anything and I loved playing with his MT when I was a kid.  His much used, much beloved PST has been forever retired to me, but I think he would have liked this tool too...he probably would have tried to make one of his own because he would have loved those locks.  It sounds weird, but I don't want to try to get a PST or a PST II because to me that was his and his alone.  Might not make much sense to any of you, but he was one of those people that encouraged me to be my own person even when I was following him around at age 8 with a "home made" tool belt "helping" him.  I miss him a lot.  For that reason, this tool will hold a special place. Anyway, thanks for the replies.
Gray

Pffft, get a PST II anyway. :D
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 09:11:35 PM
Put a sock in it, OLF...   ;) :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:15:37 PM
:)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 03:55:01 AM
Great review Gray :tu: I love the Pulse alot and I think you will be happy with it for years :cheers:

Put a sock in it, OLF...   ;) :D

:D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 05:28:26 AM
......The file, also, has not seen much use yet, but it did file down a rough point on my hiking stick quite nicely.  My roommate said it worked well on her nails.   ::) It is very nice though......  

Looking forward to hearing how the file works on your nails Gray..... :pok: :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 05:29:17 AM
......The file, also, has not seen much use yet, but it did file down a rough point on my hiking stick quite nicely.  My roommate said it worked well on her nails.   ::) It is very nice though......  

Looking forward to hearing how the file works on your nails Gray..... :pok: :D
LOL!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 12:26:15 PM
Great review :tu:

Glad to hear you like the pulse.  One of the best LMs out there.  I've never EDC mine but I've used it a few times and its always performed really well.  Mever had any major problems with the locks thought they're still pretty stiff.

Hope you get many years happy EDC out of it :tu:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 02:53:49 PM
I just bought another Pulse  ::) ::) ::)
On account of the evil plans I have for my ex 'Windows' Pulse  >:D :D :D :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 02:54:34 PM

Do tell.  :pok:  :D

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 03:23:12 PM

Do tell.  :pok:  :D
Oh, yes.  Do tell. :)

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 03:46:17 PM
The plan has been percolating for so long it has almost evaporated ::) ::).
It is my 'Pimp My Pulse' plan & when it happens you shall all be subjected to endless pictures (if it works :D).
Until then  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 01:10:50 AM
Looking forward to that one.  :tu:
I'm back!!

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 01:43:05 AM
Looking forward to that one.  :tu:
Me too!  :pok: :)

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:51 PM
Oh bugger it, now I want one too!

Thanks for the review Gray, and for the tale about your uncle. Do you still have the homemade toolbelt? Please post pics in the mod squad section if so  ;)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:58 PM

Thanks for the review Gray, and for the tale about your uncle. Do you still have the homemade toolbelt? Please post pics in the mod squad section if so  ;)
Hey Nuphoria.. Click  :P

:D :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 08:08:57 PM

:pok: :pok: you know you want to. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on.  >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%