Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Been checkin out some tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Been checkin out some tools
on: April 29, 2007, 02:54:01 AM
I have been looking at Park and Topeak and they have some pretty cool tools available.  Surprisingly, the prices on them are pretty reasonable too- I would have thought that specialty tools lik ethese would have cost a mint.

It almost inspired me to get a second hand bike and take to the trails!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Been checkin out some tools
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:04:21 AM
Crank Brothers and Pedros have some pretty interesting bike tools as well. It is surprising how many models there are.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 03:18:40 AM
Yeah, I have to say that I was pretty amazed at the number of various tools available.  I probably would have just packed one of my current multis and a SAK or two.  But then, as I mentioned before, I haven't been a serious cyclist in a long time.

And I have the spare tire to prove it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 05:18:25 AM
Park seems to be fairly selective about who is allowed to be an authorized dealer,the one nearest me is about 70 miles away,but they have an amazingly wide selection,including one that is as simple as simple can be; one pieced and dog bone shaped.
 Blackburn is another multi maker,and Bell markets a multi,that closely resembles the Topeaks. I've seen the Bells in WalMarts,and just from a cursory inspection looks to be realtively well made,and retails for $13.This is one I would suspect that is in more cyclists hands than some others,because of it's price and availibility. I'm picking up one payday  for a work-up.

One other thing,is that I'm interested in knowing is how many owners have found other uses for their multis besides cycling.I see no reason why they couldn't be compatible with a pliers based multi,after all,most supply a LOT of Allen wrenches.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 12:51:46 PM
I'm surprised that more bike tools aren't equipped with pliers.  I would think that pliers would be a very handy tool to have when on the trail or the road.  In fact, I would have thought pliers and a good selection of wrenches and allen keys would have pretty well solved most of the problems you'd be likely to encounter.

Pliers to me (including a decent set of cutters) seem like perhaps the most widely used tools, which is probably why we see them on the vast majority of tools.

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 06:39:36 PM
I'm surprised that more bike tools aren't equipped with pliers.  I would think that pliers would be a very handy tool to have when on the trail or the road.  In fact, I would have thought pliers and a good selection of wrenches and allen keys would have pretty well solved most of the problems you'd be likely to encounter.

Pliers to me (including a decent set of cutters) seem like perhaps the most widely used tools, which is probably why we see them on the vast majority of tools.

Def
  I wouldn't be surprised that if someone doesn't hit the market with a multi that incorporates pliers in a cycling multi..the market is there,and growing. More people are thinking green,and gas prices are rising, the boomers are aging,and bikes are easier on the knees than jogging. Even in my small town,where cycling was never a big thing for adults,I see more adults on bikes.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 07:00:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised that if someone doesn't hit the market with a multi that incorporates pliers in a cycling multi..the market is there,and growing. More people are thinking green,and gas prices are rising, the boomers are aging,and bikes are easier on the knees than jogging. Even in my small town,where cycling was never a big thing for adults,I see more adults on bikes.

How long until Leatherman markets a plier tool designed specifically for bikers?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 10:17:49 PM

How long until Leatherman markets a plier tool designed specifically for bikers?
If anybody would,it would be Leatherman;if only I could be a fly on the wall in the R&D dept.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 12:30:03 AM
If anybody would,it would be Leatherman;if only I could be a fly on the wall in the R&D dept.

I hear you there.
Actually, I was originally going to say "Leatherman or Gerber", but then I remembered that Gerber already took a stab at the bike tool market some time ago with their CoolTool. I've never seen one though...seems like it was a group of allen wrench keys mounted on an adjustable crescent-style wrench. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 12:38:13 AM
Dave has one- maybe he'd be nice enough to show us some pictures?

DAVE!  YOU LISTENING BUD? :P

Def

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 10:51:32 AM
The tools I use are a Topeak, survival gearbox (reccomended) but my favorite which i,ve used for years is a gerber cool tool :)

seriously useful and nigh on indestructable, does any one know if there still available?
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2007, 02:22:46 PM

Def

When working on bikes, about the only thing I recall using pliers on were to hold a brake or shifter cable.  What other duties would you find a plier useful for on a bike?
- Terry

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2007, 02:25:52 PM
Apart from gear and brake cables, and maybe rusted in bulbs, nothing,

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 02:29:32 PM
In the shop maybe not much, but on the trail or at the side of the road I have used pliers for lots of things- reattaching a quick release wheel after the handle broke, cutting broken spokes, tightening loose seats, using the tip of the plier head to deflate a tire that was over inflated- although I suppose you could use other things for that.  I've also used them to take valve stem caps off when the little buggers don't want to come off and I can't get a grip on them because of sweat or mud.

This is why I always thought a bike tool should have pliers with a good set of cutters on them.  I like the idea of the carbide cutter inserts on the Gerbers.

Def

Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 05:38:43 PM
Don,t get me wrong pliers have there place, i used them all the time on my motorbikes, and even cycling i,ve always got my swiss tool and pliers in my tool kit, just don,t use them much :grin:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD