Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What features made you choice your EDC SAK?

Offline MrVanimal

What features made you choice your EDC SAK?
on: July 23, 2009, 10:52:35 PM
I'm just curious.  With all of the options out there, what were the reasons you chose the model you did that you carry every day.  Basically, what you chose and why (tools, size, ect) I didn't want to really carry more than one SAK on me but I didn't want to feel like I was giving anything up.   I tried a few different SAK's as well as a Leatherman.   I think the Vic WorkChamp fits all of my needs

Victorinox WorkChamp:
Nylon scales - I dont like how the plastic scales get so easily scratched, plus I get to keep my toothpick/tweezers
Mini Philips - got rid of the need to carry a suppliment 58mm SAK
Black leather shealth w/ removable belt clip - can remove without having take off my belt.  Plus black leather works well in my office job, and I needed belt carry since it would be too big for my pockets.
File - needed a good fingernail/metal file
Corkscrew - eyeglass screwdriver
Can opener/Bottle opener - Vic makes the best in the business.  Didn't want to go with a combo unit

I also carry a SwissCard Lite which goes in my wallet but doesn't take up any real estate on my person like a suppliment SAK would.  I use it mainly for the pen, ruler, and screwdriver for smaller screws.

So, what are your reasons?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: What features made you choice your EDC SAK?
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 11:08:43 PM
My fave EDC SAK is the Craftsman, mostly because it leave out the stuff I don't need to carry in the Champ and still has everything else that I find useful. It's the alternative for me when I'm not carrying something like a Juice or a Paratool.

The pliers are obviously not as heavy duty as a multitool, but they are OK for the basic tasks I am likely to encounter on an average day.

It's also legal to carry here and just damn fine looking! :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Offline Jawbreaker

Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:34:06 PM
I've run across quite a few sak's ,never liked any well enough to carry for some reason.Just don't like the shape of the blade-only have 1 right now but next time someone shows an interest in it its going with them.Y'all can buy em all up-they just never been able to do it for me.May be someday....................

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:15:38 AM
I go for the Ranger cus I find it to be a good balance between size, functionality and staying on the 'outside prison' side of the law.  Its got every tool I want to carry (apart from pliers- so I carry a mini as well), its comfortable in the hand, light in the pocket and relatively sheeple friendly.

Add to it some plus scales (and a LM MINI) and it gives me everything I need for EDC.

Offline sappyg

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:23:05 AM
i carried a tinker for years on and off. i like the dbl blade set up and the phillips. i switched to a recruit for the size and the price was right too. i was happy with them but usually wound up adding bondo to the scales that always broke around the tweezers. one day i discovered alox and have carried one every since. they are much thinner and feel more solid to me.
i started with a cadet. i hand ground the finger nail file into an awl for yet another useful tool. the cadet seemed a liitle small though so i moved into an old soldier and added a classic on my keys for scissors and toothpick. lately i have replaced the classic with a mini champ because it added yet another blade. i like this combo but today i tried a new farmer and i think i now have perfection at last.
alox scales are the only ones i am interested in these days. i prefer 91mm b/c the tool and blade sizes suite me better. i am in construction and my EDC SAKs are working tools. they do not get pampered.
the awl on the soldier plus the standard can and bottle opener tools are mostly what i need on my person. the saw on the farmer is a BIG leap though and it's still small enough to comfortably EDC. i have a drawer full of knives that i have tried through the years and none of them can hold a candle any alox SAK.  
i

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 02:06:43 AM
I can't say I've found it yet.  Different days find me with different needs and different moods.  I found that carrying a small SAK on my keyring (Rambler and recently an Ambassador) gives me more choice when it comes to a larger SAK in my pocket.  Normally I carry a 2 or 3 layer SAK.  This thread has gotten me thinking that I'll carry my Huntsman Slim mod (think Compact with an added saw) for a while.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:18:02 AM
generaly i only need a mid size blade 91mm or smaller, the awl and sometimes the nailfile. so almost any sak is good for me  :D, i change my edc every week, 91mm , 84 and 74mm, it depends, the day the places to go and things like that, if i go to the woods a big one like a new soldier or a wenger everest, if only a regular day in the city just need a cadet or a climber.
custom swiss army knives

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 04:30:56 AM
1st I need a nail file and pen
2nd sissors

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 06:38:52 AM
I've found 2 perfect EDC sak's for me :)

For minimilist days and woods walking, bushcraft ect, I carry a Farmer. For work or for when I know I'll need a fair number of tools it'll be a Swisschamp :)

All of my sak's over 74mm must have a saw though, the one's that don't, just get used around the house :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD