Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Did I lose my fever for the Spirit?

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Did I lose my fever for the Spirit?
on: July 26, 2009, 02:03:07 PM
Please help me at least that is what I am feeling I should be saying (after all I am a hardcore Victorinox lover.)

But for the last week I have found myself carrying a "cough" Leatherman Kick instead of my Spirit. 
Now mind you I am still carrying a Executive and a Soldier but my plier based MT has been a Kick.

The quality of the Kick is good but not has good as the Spirit the tool selection isn't as large but here my the reason.

I don't need ALL the tools that the Spirit offers I just need min. tools (don't even suggest the Skeletool) been there done that as far
as the Freestyle I handled it the other day and not my taste.

Plus I don't know if my nails have gotten more brittle but I have noticed lately that the Spirit requires alot more "force" to get the tools open.
I doubt that it is gunk because I am anal when it comes to maintence.

Maybe in my "OLD" age is going thru a min. thing. I don't know, Is there anyone out there that has gone from Vic to Leatherman and kept their sanisty? :ahhh

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Did I lose my fever for the Spirit?
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:25:55 PM
I just think you have finally seen the light mate.  :D  The Spirit may look good to carry around, but when it comes to actual use, Leatherman is always the winner for me.
I'm back!!

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:30:53 PM
I just think you have finally seen the light mate.  :D  The Spirit may look good to carry around, but when it comes to actual use, Leatherman is always the winner for me.

NO!! YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS!!
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 02:33:47 PM
Teeny weeny, bendy Leatherman pliers  ::) Go back to the Spirit immediately philistine, it's a man's tool!!  :pok: ;)
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 02:37:42 PM

You should know as I sold you mine!  :D

Leathermans may not be as polished or as neatly made, but I just find as tools they work better (for me anyway), and that goes for most of the implements.  When I know I've got a lot of work to do, I always go Leatherman.

Sorry Vic guys.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 02:53:01 PM

You should know as I sold you mine!  :D

Leathermans may not be as polished or as neatly made, but I just find as tools they work better (for me anyway), and that goes for most of the implements.  When I know I've got a lot of work to do, I always go Leatherman.

Sorry Vic guys.  :D

I'm merely taking the bait  :D But you're going to have to disguise it better next time  :pok:
Gabba gabba hey!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:20:49 PM
Don't worry Aaron, it's just a phase, you'll get over it, hopefully before the Kick rusts away :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 03:23:08 PM
Don't worry Aaron, it's just a phase, you'll get over it, hopefully before the Kick rusts away :D

As long as he doesn't send it to you he'll be fine.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 03:23:45 PM

As long as he doesn't send it to you he'll be fine.  :D
:P
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 05:50:03 PM
Happily I like both makes and can relate to a more minimal carry so I know exactly where you are coming from.  Carry the Kick without guilt, sooner or later you'll want to carry the Spirit again and that'll be fine too. 

Frankly I'll never settle on just one SAK or Multi, it's the swapping things around that keeps it interesting for me.  I can barely go a day without changing my carry, sometimes less.  :-[
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 05:52:55 PM
Happily I like both makes and can relate to a more minimal carry so I know exactly where you are coming from.  Carry the Kick without guilt, sooner or later you'll want to carry the Spirit again and that'll be fine too. 

Frankly I'll never settle on just one SAK or Multi, it's the swapping things around that keeps it interesting for me.  I can barely go a day without changing my carry, sometimes less.  :-[

When I am at home, my carry can sometimes vary hourly.  :D
I'm back!!

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 06:00:30 PM
All i can say is wow I carried a old wave for 10+ years joined this forum and bought a Kick, Core, Serge, PST2 and a few knockoffs. I liked them all and pretty much made me a Leatherman guy. Last week i received a Swiss tool and bit kit i won on this forum. The second i held the Swiss in my hand i could tell that it was in a class all it's own. The fit finish quality of the tools the way the tool fits your hand. The bit driver is the best multi tool screwdriver set up i have used. I am not knocking Leatherman tools i still like them very much. What i am saying i think Swiss are that much better. I guess that's why they make ice cream in chocolate and vanilla and you know what they say about opinions they are like a$$holes everyone has one.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 06:01:29 PM

When I am at home, my carry can sometimes vary hourly.  :D

:D  Same here.  I have MTs littered throughout the house so it varies depending on what room in :).

I wouldn't worry about changing your EDC mate.  I vary mine between Ranger, Farmer, Mini, Spirit, Wave and Surge regularly.  Can't take some of those off my property thanks to UK laws, but they stay in the pockets around the house.

Variety is the spice of life.

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:04:45 PM

I agree i am the same way
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 06:20:37 PM
I am a SAK person who uses the Kick a lot too.

Let's face it - Vic only offers 2 basic models of MT and they are both "fully loaded". There's not a lot to choose from.  ;)

The Kick is great because it offers full-size pliers and basic drivers in a light, very easy to carry package. Add a pocket clip and you're golden.  :tu:

I also greatly prefer the LM plier head over Vic's. The Vic pliers excel at some tasks, but I find the more needle nose LM style much more useful for my particular needs.

I wouldn't want the Kick as my sole tool, but as you found, it is a great complimentary MT if you also carry a SAK, etc.

The Spirit may be the better MT in an abstract sense - but the true best MT is the one that is best suited for your specific needs.
[

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 06:57:49 PM
Variety is the spice of life.

I don't consider myself a fan of anyone brand. I like them all for their own uniqueness.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 08:14:01 PM

I think that is where a lot of this stems from "guilt". I get SAKs from family/friends and feel guilty if I don't carry/use them. 

Then when I have to decide between my OH Sentinal or my Spyderco Endura 4. I want to carry the Spyderco but feel obligated to carry the Vic. (do I have a personality flaw).

As far as "swapping things around" I guess I am too anal for that I would wonder what am I going to run into today do I need this or that what if I carry this but really needed that one (I think I have a control issue).

Like I have said before I envy my father in law one knife for several years. No wonders or thought about which to grab that morning.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2009, 08:55:05 PM

Same reason I sold mine. It sure looks pretty but when I need one to use I always go for either dedicated tools or leatherman/sog.  :D I'm sticking with SAK, not their MT.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2009, 09:08:15 PM
the Kick is a good, minimal, light MT that works! we understand.

think of it as your user and your reconnaissance for the main body! :P

Offline sappyg

Reply #19 on: July 26, 2009, 09:57:05 PM
no harm in rotating your EDC around...... i've been doing that for as long as i've had anything to EDC.
i've been thinking of leaving the spirit at home in preference of the kick when i carry a farmer. why not....... the kick is lighter and has less tool overlap in that case.
i have to admit though, if i could only have one MT i would pick the spirit every time. actually, i really don't need to carry anything but the spirit. i just like having a good SAK around.
i

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 10:12:44 PM
i used to edc a sak (2 layers max) on me and a bigger tool nearby (rucksack or coat).
recently i find myself carrying special tools in different coats (old leather jacket cyber ool 41, new leather jacket nomad ... you get the idea) as i am giving up on carrying three saks at one time - alox classic on keychain, soldier in left front pocket and another tool in my jacket i feel like "too much gun" as one forum member once said.
since i always have my keys and coat nearby, i am downsizing my pocket sak and try spirit and classic.
i am so much looking forward to carry my spirit x, like a little boy on christmas morning :-)
it will be like:  :mail:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 12:07:52 AM

+1

Spirit has beautiful fit and finish, but I don't carry a multi around to admire its looks or impress others.

Spirit is 2 oz. heavier than LM PST, Kick or SOG PPP, which is very noticeable.  About 5 oz. is the practical limit for me for pocket carry.

Spirit implements, at least some of its implements, don't seem to work quite as well for me as LM or SOG implements.

N

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 05:41:40 AM
seeing that i have only handled a swisstool one time, i cant really speak too much of them.  although it was pretty darn sweet i will add.  but i like my leathermans (thats all i have now actually)  idont think you have gone crazy, it may just be a phase and you will go back to the vic, or not... you really cant go wrong either way.. i think :think:
'

Offline sappyg

Reply #23 on: July 28, 2009, 02:12:40 AM
i tried a kick today instead if the spirit....
i REALLY dislike the kick sheath. it moves up... down... sideways... this way and that. it alone made the kick seem as if it was in the way where as the spirit sheath stays put and feels more secure. for me the kick sheath negates the weight savings the kick offers.
i had to fumble around with the kick to get to the blade so i could cut caulking on some base board. thank goodness i had the handles closed because it tried to fold up on me.
i'm glad i tried this today. it makes me appreciate the spirit even more. the kick is good but the spirit is close to perfect.

i

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: July 28, 2009, 04:01:25 AM
Happily I like both makes and can relate to a more minimal carry so I know exactly where you are coming from.  Carry the Kick without guilt, sooner or later you'll want to carry the Spirit again and that'll be fine too.  

Frankly I'll never settle on just one SAK or Multi, it's the swapping things around that keeps it interesting for me.  I can barely go a day without changing my carry, sometimes less.  :-[

When I am at home, my carry can sometimes vary hourly.  :D

My Carry Can Often Vary

Nice. (I should get a teeshirt with that on it) :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #25 on: July 28, 2009, 12:38:45 PM
I tend to swap between both Vic and Leatherman . Its a bit like YIN YANG . For me I can't have one without the other . I have my favourites in both brands .But more importantly I can see both the short falls and plus sides of both .

Dunc

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 10:17:44 PM
I tend to swap between both Vic and Leatherman . Its a bit like YIN YANG . For me I can't have one without the other . I have my favourites in both brands .But more importantly I can see both the short falls and plus sides of both .

Dunc

Agreed, your Blast is a pretty useful tool. If Vic just changed their drivers slightly though, for me their would be no contest!
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 10:19:47 PM

Dunc

Agreed, your Blast is a pretty useful tool. If Vic just changed their drivers slightly though, for me their would be no contest!

I agree.  That and the plier head for a long nosed one

It's just a shame that they are the 2 main things I use on a MT, so Vic, sadly, will never be the winner for me in that catergory.
I'm back!!

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 10:45:48 PM
That's funny, I like the Vic plier head as it is  ;) But the drivers could be improved with so little effort.
Gabba gabba hey!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 10:46:34 PM
That's funny, I like the Vic plier head as it is  ;) But the drivers could be improved with so little effort.

I like it is some situations, but for EDC I prefer a long nosed.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD