Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taking good pictures?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Taking good pictures?
on: September 18, 2006, 03:30:28 AM
Does anyone out their have any tips on taking really good close up pictures of their multitools?  Do you use any special methods or tools? How much does lighting play in? Just wondering?
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Taking good pictures?
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 03:43:36 AM
You may want to check out a couple of articles on SOSAKOnline for some help.  The first one is from a great shutterbug named Richard Todd who has contributed alot to SOSAK over the years and is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=35

This next one is written by me, a guy with little to no photographic knowledge whatsoever, but I have managed to take some decent pics this way.
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=100&Itemid=35

Lighting is very important, and so is having the right equipment.  I have two digital cameras, one is a Kodak and takes fantastic pictures provided the subject is at least three feet away.  Not great for close up shots.  Most of the pictures I've taken for this site were done with a cheap $15 camera I bought new from the manufacturer in Hong Kong on eBay.  I use it as a "beater" camera- I carry it almost everywhere and it has the wear marks and dents to prove it!  It takes halfways decent photos at a distance, not as good as my Kodak, but good enough, but the macro mode is where this one really shines. 

One tip though- when using the macro, use a tripod, and set the timer.  It might take you all afternoon to get some decent shots at first, but the slight bump resulting from you pressing the button on the camera can throw even more shots out the window.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:54:28 AM
I've read both articles on SOSAK and they have proved very helpful. The pictures I took before reading them were all useless. Thanks Def.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 04:12:40 AM
No problem.  One of the things I love about digital photography is I can experiment a little without having to wait (and pay for!) the results.  When getting pictures ready for an article for here or SOSAKOnline, I will take 20-30 pictures of each tool.  Many of them are blurry, many are shadowed, some I just don't like etc, but it costs nothing to take them.  Easier to take a hundred shots then check them all out rather than take a few you are not happy with and have to start all over.
In case it matters any, my Kodak is a 3.2 megapixel and my cheap camera is a 3.1 megapixel, so don't strain yourself or your budget trying to buy fancy new camera equipment.
Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 04:54:02 AM
I beleive the internet does not require more than 1.2 megs. Anything above that is good for prints but will not improve pic quality for macro shots on the internet.

My cheapo camers works best as well. I bought an expensive Sony cybershot last week and the macro sucks. I also had a $500. Kodak that was terible for macro as well. What interesting is knowone I know can tell me which camera is best for macsro internet shots. Its something most camera experts know nothing about. Best bet is keep buying camers or find out what out what other people are using when you their pics online.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 06:48:04 AM
Hehe... I'm glad this got posted.  My photography skills suck...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%