Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is the difference between Wenger and Victorinox?

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Forgive my ignorance,
But I didn't know that the term "Swiss Army Knife" was for both companies.  I thought they were exclusively Victorinox.  I read a brief history on SAKwiki and yes I could probably Google it, but I thought you all might be a better resource.  Okay, so beyond that, what is the difference between them.  In another thread many people recommended Victorinox stuff to someone wanting their first SAK, but not a lot of Wenger stuff.  So, what's the difference?  Hope I didn't set off a hot debate.
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Re: What is the difference between Wenger and Victorinox?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 03:24:03 AM
I think the general consensus is that Victorinox has better fit and finish.

... but Wenger does the crazy/specialty stuff.

Does it matter? You end up with both sides of it anyway... :D
Got those frog legs.

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:39:49 AM
I think the general consensus is that Victorinox has better fit and finish.

... but Wenger does the crazy/specialty stuff.

Does it matter? You end up with both sides of it anyway... :D

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo true :D
A

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 03:41:37 AM
Vic finish is near perfection.  However the SAKs basically are building blocks from the basic to the most complex.

Wengers OTOH have some really innovative tools. Look up the Large Mountain Bike--chain breaker/riveter and removable wrench.

Then there's the Minathor series--specialty watchmakers knife.

Personally one of my favorite EDC SAKs is the Wenger S557.  The Alligator wrench is sweet, and the pliers have adjustable jaws.

The tools don't have the distinctive Vic snap, but they're really high quality in their own right.

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:42:57 AM
Victorinox was the 1st. of the two companies and is the only holder of the title "Original Swiss Army Knife". Wenger holds the title "Genuine Swiss Army Knife".

Recently, as Wenger was near bankruptcy, Victorinox bought Wenger and is the parent company although both companies as separate entities.

Both companies had contract to provide 50% of the knives to the Swiss Military until the new design (based on OHT) was selected. Now only Victorinox supplies them. Wenger continues to make their Standard Issue Soldier but without blade date stamps.

There are many opinions on which is best (scissors, backsprings, innovations being some of the main topics of discussion) so let me just say that I like them both.
T

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:51:37 AM
I like them both. I have both in my growing collection.

I tend to find Wenger a bit more interesting due to some of their odd ball specialty items.

Victorinox has some interesting designs also, and I find their fit and finish a tad higher then Wengers, even though both are now owned by Victorinox.

Am I the only one right now on the prowl for a Wenger Bernina, or a Wenger minotaur?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:55:02 AM

I tend to find Wenger a bit more interesting due to some of their odd ball specialty items.

Victorinox has some interesting designs also, and I find their fit and finish a tad higher then Wengers, even though both are now owned by Victorinox.

Am I the only one right now on the prowl for a Wenger Bernina, or a Wenger minotaur?

BTGT  :D

You need to prowl for the elusive Business Tool!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 03:59:22 AM
I might have to add that odd duck to the growing list.

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 06:11:54 AM
I wouldn't worry about the companies as much as just finding a specific model you like.

Vic and Wenger are both putting out great products now, and I doubt you will be disappointed in either. Having 2 companies just gives you more SAKs to choose from.  :tu:

The main issues that come up about Vic vs. Wenger are usually about the specific implementation of certain features, such as: scissors, can openers/phillips drivers, bottle openers, locks, nail files, size, and scales. 

Wenger developed a bad rep for quality, but I think their quality has been comparable to Vic for quite a few years now. With recent SAKs, I think many people are more mistaking "feel" for quality. That's my take on things anyway.  :think:

Your best bet is to just buy a cheap basic model from each company from FelineVet and check out the differences firsthand and see which you prefer.
[

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 03:21:46 AM
I wouldn't worry about the companies as much as just finding a specific model you like.

Vic and Wenger are both putting out great products now, and I doubt you will be disappointed in either. Having 2 companies just gives you more SAKs to choose from.  :tu:

The main issues that come up about Vic vs. Wenger are usually about the specific implementation of certain features, such as: scissors, can openers/phillips drivers, bottle openers, locks, nail files, size, and scales. 

Wenger developed a bad rep for quality, but I think their quality has been comparable to Vic for quite a few years now. With recent SAKs, I think many people are more mistaking "feel" for quality. That's my take on things anyway.  :think:

Your best bet is to just buy a cheap basic model from each company from FelineVet and check out the differences firsthand and see which you prefer.

I agree wholeheartly with what max6166 says.  I have a great article written years ago by Blade magazine (I have to figure out how to scan it ) but I will send it out as soon as I figure that out.

I bought a Vic Feildmaster and a Wenger 18 just for that reason. They both have their merits but I know which one I like.

I like Vic can opener but I like the springless scirrors on Wenger I like the locking screwdriver of the Vic not crazy about the Wenger.

I like the Locking mech on the OH Wengers better then the Vic linerlock.   Once you get a taste then you are hooked  :ahhh :ahhh

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 05:39:19 PM

I've never managed to get a Bernia or Minotaur, both are a bit too expensive for me to casually purchase new and I've always been outbid at auction.  Perhaps I need to be less tight :D

If you want a really rare/exotic Wenger you need Def's toilet SAK or the one for adjusting braces.  Neither do I expect to ever own.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2009, 05:53:17 PM
If you want a really rare/exotic Wenger you need Def's toilet SAK or the one for adjusting braces.  Neither do I expect to ever own.

Pictures?

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 01, 2009, 06:14:42 PM
I see a Bernina from the UK, but its 190 Canadian. Still looks unusual enough that I seem attracted to the model. Not sure how much it is here in Canada...that is if I can even get one here in Canada.

I could have had a Minotaur, but it was my first bid and had no clue what I was doing, and lost from shear lack of knowledge.

Toilet SAK? Orthodontist SAK? Never heard of those.

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2009, 07:52:42 PM

Toilet SAK? Orthodontist SAK? Never heard of those.

Me neither, but I want them :D

EDIT: Probably best to aqquire a toilet SAK new rather than used. Is this one?:
 :sak:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:57:05 PM by Craig »
Prone to daydreaming.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05:27 PM
One thing no-one has mentioned yet is the difference in size.  The standard Vic is 91mm long the Wenger is 85mm long. 

I have nothing against Wenger, indeed I own a few, but I a Vic man myself.  That is a matter of personal preference though.  I'd recommend a Vic over a Wenger as a first SAK but no-one would be upset at the quality of a new Wenger.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009, 09:12:00 PM

Pictures?

Here's the orthodontic SAK http://sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=278&Itemid=35

And the toilet paper one http://sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=194&Itemid=35
I'm back!!

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009, 10:09:12 PM
One thing no-one has mentioned yet is the difference in size.  The standard Vic is 91mm long the Wenger is 85mm long. 

I have nothing against Wenger, indeed I own a few, but I a Vic man myself.  That is a matter of personal preference though.  I'd recommend a Vic over a Wenger as a first SAK but no-one would be upset at the quality of a new Wenger.

Agreed, if you have small hands or pockets a Wenger may well be the best choice.
Prone to daydreaming.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:40:43 PM

I'd be interested in a Bernina as a present for our wardrobe mistress if they're any about
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 01:53:25 PM
Good question and thread GraysonK :tu:

but now you've opened up the; "Sak Coffins!"  ::) :P  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 02:34:10 PM
There is one listed on eBay.ca from the UK. They wanted 75 pounds for it which roughly translates to 180 Canadian.

To find it, you have to use "Bernina Tool" as a search phrase. I have tried Wenger Bernina to no avail.

Hope that helps you.

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 08:33:43 PM
very nice, but too rich for me, I might point her directly to it though, cheers  :tu:
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 09:33:23 PM
If you're really interested in Wengers and Vics, the best thing you can do is hook up with Tim, the Felinevet.  Best prices and best service, and he'll set you up right with examples of both brands.  Then you can decide which is better.  (Or, as is more likely, you can decided which further models of both brands you want!)    :tu:
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 02:21:44 AM
I bought a wenger today...

I feel cheap and dirty.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 05:42:20 AM
Maybe it might just be because you ARE cheap & dirty  :think: :P :P :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

hn Offline cliosguy

• No Life Club
  • no nacimos con miedo...
Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 07:24:30 AM
 :D
A

us Offline bren10man

Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 12:31:03 PM
The only odd-ball Wenger one I want is the one that came with the SIG 550/551 series of semi-auto assault rifles imported into the USA from 1987-89, before the import assault weapons ban prevented more from coming in.  I saw one in the kit that came with the rifle. 

BTW: the rifle is worth in the $10,000 range if you can find one. 

Many parts kits that used to be STG-90's have been imported (parts kit = demilled rifle, i.e. receiver cut in two) and folks are taking the stock and forearms of these to retrofit that nasty SIG-556 (made at the SIG plant in New Hampshire) into one more like what we REALLY wanted to see.
MOLON LABE!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 01:52:25 PM
Good question, answered thoroughly I believe! :D

I have loads of Vic models and a couple of choice Wengers due to the original tool set on them etc... no complaints at all about the more recent ones  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24