Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need some help with Vid Capture

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Need some help with Vid Capture
on: May 02, 2007, 02:03:01 AM
This is a problem I have been having for a long time now...

Using the capture feature of my All In Wonder card (and software) and Windows Movie Maker I can capture video with no problems from my analog Samsung camcorder.  The problem is that I can't seem to get audio from the durned thing.  I am certain it's a setting somewhere, but I can't figure it out.  I can also get sound from the mic which is kind of annoying.  When playing pre-recorded video and trying to capture the audio, the mic is live.  At least sometimes it is.  I can turn it off, but I can't get the darned computer to register the sound from the tape.

I have been fighting with this on and off for a while now and I have run out of people to ask questions to in real life! :P

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Need some help with Vid Capture
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:16:00 AM
I can't really assume what you've done at this point to get it to work....

Your sound control panel together with the capture software should give you all the options you need.  Many times the sound controls will have separate sections for input and output, and you just need to mute the inputs you're not using (mic) and be sure to enable, and possibly crank up the volume of, the input that you are using.

I don't have an AIW, but I do have an ATI card with VIVO, which is very similar.  Feel free to ask direct questions, and give me as much info as you can regarding what you've already tried.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 02:24:30 AM
I think it's something in the Windows XP sound controller.  I am not sure which options need to be set to what, but that is how I can activate/deactivate the mic.  I have tried Line In, Video, and all the other options but I just can't seem to get the sound to record.  It's getting quite frustrating.

I wish I had a more pointed question to ask, because then I would have a better understanding of the problem!  My guess is that it's with the XP sound settings, because it affects both programs- the AIW and Movie Maker.  I don't think it's a hardware problem anywhere along the line, or else the mic wouldn't register either.  It did work once, a while back, but I must have changed a setting somewhere along the line that I don't remember, and haven't changed back.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 02:38:39 AM
Is there any chance that you can post screenshots of the settings in your sound & audio devices applet in your control panel?
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:46:18 AM
Is this what you are after?

Def
Audio01.JPG
* Audio01.JPG (Filesize: 56.86 KB)
Audio02.JPG
* Audio02.JPG (Filesize: 39.27 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 02:47:40 AM
I've tried setting the Windows one to the same as the Movie Maker one, and now I am trying combinations of one to the other.  It's driving me nuts, and I don't know if there's something else I should look for?

Def

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 10:41:17 AM
Is it possible to change the audio device to the ATI card? as unless you are plugging the camera into the nVidia nForce (on the motherboard) as well as the ATI card then it won't be able to pick up the audio due to it looking for audio where there is no audio.

Ryan
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 02, 2007, 12:24:35 PM
I thought about that- unfortunately when dropping the box, that's the only option it gives me.  Also, my guess is that it's hooked up ok because I can record live audio through the mic when playing prerecorded video, which would be great if I was trying to narrate it. 

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2007, 01:55:39 PM
I thought about that- unfortunately when dropping the box, that's the only option it gives me.  Also, my guess is that it's hooked up ok because I can record live audio through the mic when playing prerecorded video, which would be great if I was trying to narrate it. 

Def

Not necessarily.  If the mic is connected to your motherboard (nForce) inputs, and your Line out from your camera is connected to the vid card it won't.  First, try checking the "select" box for "line in" in your control panel to see if that works, and select "line in" as the audio input in your capture software.  If it doesn't, be sure your audio out line from the camera is connected to the line in on your motherboard instead of the vid card, and try again.

If that fails, then you may want to try reinstalling your AIW drivers to see if that device shows up in your audio drop-down for the capture software.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2007, 01:59:16 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2007, 02:11:29 PM
If we could have a list of the outputs of the camera and where they are going to on the motherboard or ati card that would be helpful. Just to make sure you haven't made the simplest of mistakes (i once wondered why my monitor was not displaying anything, went through taking the graphics card out and back in, restting the CMOS and a whole host of things, turned out the cable wasn't plugged in properly...how stupid did i feel!)

Ryan
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:47:02 AM
was this problem ever fixed/solved Defender?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: December 16, 2007, 12:52:43 AM
In way... that machine is lying across my den in pieces! :P

I need a new power supply for it which I'll probably be picking up this week, then I'll be reinstalling Windows and starting from scratch with it.  I'm having a few other video related problems at the moment but I'll get into those when I have more time!

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 04:50:06 AM
ohh, at first I thought you meant you smashed it!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 16, 2007, 09:12:18 AM
I was tempted...

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%