Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pocket organizers

Woz · 152 · 26964

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Pocket organizers
on: August 03, 2009, 04:16:43 PM
Hi dudes!

I´m looking for a pouch or case to be my "mini bag". It has to be small enough to fit my uniform pants cargo pocket (about the same size as on 5.11 tactical pants), has to store a tool, light and knife and some pens, and it has to be well organized so I can find everything quickly. It will stay in my pocket when I wear cargos, but I want to have something to grab and put into my bag or my jacket when I wear jeans. So, to shorten it: I want an EDC pocket organizer!

I watched roz´s great review of the Maxpedition EDC organizer, and really like it. I think she´s on this forum too, so maybe she will join this discussion here. I hope so, that girl knows how to review bags  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Ok, my thoughts on some options I found:

1. Bills Urban Wallet

It has a slot that will fit the tool, and a second one to fit a small knive or light. It has 2 pockets, so I guess I could use one for a light and two spare batteries, and one for pen and paper - I have Zebra Mini gel pens, so they will fit. Maybe even my beloved Zebra F-301, the case does not look too small. Reviews on this thing are great, price is OK. Does anyone have one and can share his experiences? Will it stand to EDC duty for a while?

2. Maxpedition EDC organizer

It´s large, it´s heavy duty, it´s Maxpedition. I know this thing will take some use and abuse. Everything I need will fit, but it seems to be too large. I guess it will not fit the cargo pockets, and it will add quite some bulk to a jacket too. So it seems to be perfect for duty IN a bag to organize stuff, but too large to be carried in clothes. Am I wrong? I do not like tactical look, but it is OK on something to be carried invisible.

3. Countycomm EDC organizer

Cheaper, lighter duty organizer in the same style as the Maxpedition one. A little smaller, so maybe better for EDC. Countycomm does not ship to Europe, so getting it is a little tricky.

4. Nomadic PD-03 Upright Stand Pencil Case

A pencil case from Japan, found on Jetpens. It seems to be perfect to carry a MT and a light in the tow inside pockets and some pens in the smalle pockets. It´s quite inexpensive too, but maybe I´m totally wrong. I like the look somehow, they have some clever cases on Jetpens!

5. Anything else

What do you guys use? Any ideas on other options?`

edc-reviews.blogspot.com

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Re: Pocket organizers
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 04:30:50 PM
I can't recommend BUWs enough and it definitely withstands EDC duty. There are a couple of other pocket organizers that you're missing, most notable of which is the [Spec-Ops mini cargo pocket organizer] which seems to offer the best tradeoff between size and build quality. Anyway, imho if all you want to put in your organizer is a tool, a knife, and some pens, you'd be better off with a custom (cf. home-brewed) organizer...

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 04:07:56 AM
I have the CountyComm version and it does the job just fine. I think that for the money it will suit your described needs.

Frankly though, I have found very similar models at the local surplus store for even less.
G

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:07:48 PM
I use soft camera cases i find them at  dollar stores and swap meets cheap. Here are a few i bought for a dollar each.
Mike

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:09:27 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:59:04 PM
I got the Countycomm Pocket Organizer a couple of weeks ago and I love it.  I'm going to review it after I've carried it for a month just so I'll sound like I know what I'm talking about.  But I highly recommend it so far.  I actually carry it primarily at work in the cargo pocket of my scrub pants.  It fits great, is smaller than I thought it would be and holds: 4 different pens, 2 sharpies, hemastats, small EMT shears, and either my Juice or my Pulse depending on which one I grabbed first that day.  It folds up pretty nicely with all that in it.  It goes in my bag too and from work then in the pocket it goes.  I've also got 3 small keychain-sized sharpie highliters that fit very nicely in the front web pocket.  I put my own little monkey fist fob on the zipper and it's great.  On the rare occasions I'm not working, I have pulled out the hemastats and all but 2 pens and a sharpie and added a small moleskin notebook to it.  I also threw in my debit card license and some cash and didn't really need my wallet.  I wear cargo shorts most of the time outside and it still fits very well.  On my bigger messenger bag, I discovered that the straps on the back of it fit really well around the grab handle of my bag so i can keep it on the outside if I need something.  I don't know if they are what you're looking for but I like it a lot. 
Okay, that's my two cents.  Shutting up now.
On a different note, Mike 56 mentioned camera cases.  I must say that I love this idea too.  I got one that holds my phone, cards, cash, pocket knife, pen, and mp3 player.  It's not too big and fits right on my belt...I use that especially when I'm on my bike without my bag.  Comes in handy.
Let us know what you decide.
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:58:22 PM
i have a nite-ize pock-its xl that i use at work.  they make a smaller verison that might fit the bill for you to.  worth a look at least
'

Offline P35

Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:06:18 PM
you might give the Spec-Ops organizer a try. They are sized between the Maxpedition and the County.Com
http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=5

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:37:50 PM
you might give the Spec-Ops organizer a try. They are sized between the Maxpedition and the County.Com
http://www.specopsbrand.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=5

+1 on the Spec-Ops.  :tu:
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:35:56 PM
I think this lot have covered all the maxped and spec-ops types out there at the moment so I'll just comment on Bills urban wallet.  :)

It can fit quite a lot in it and so far I have not seen any obvious wear to it after carrying it around for a few months. Bill can and will make you a custom version if your needs are different than the standard model too. It's also pretty low profile compared to the other pocket organisers.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:46:07 PM
I think this lot have covered all the maxped and spec-ops types out there at the moment so I'll just comment on Bills urban wallet.  :)

It can fit quite a lot in it and so far I have not seen any obvious wear to it after carrying it around for a few months. Bill can and will make you a custom version if your needs are different than the standard model too. It's also pretty low profile compared to the other pocket organisers.

The only wear I had with mine was a bit of fraying inside the zip.  Burnt it off with a lighter and it's sorted.  :tu:
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 09:47:34 PM
I don't have one, but I think the Maxped one is quite a bit bulkier than the others.

I recall some people who found it a little too big for their cargo pants. Other had no problem with it.

Just mentioning in case that's a concern.

Another one is the Condor Pocket Pouch. It's cheap, and some people find it good enough for their uses. It's definitely not nearly as rugged as the Maxped or Spec-Ops though.
[

Offline Tinnie

• No Life Club
  • I hate Velcro!
Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 11:08:15 PM
I like the Spec-Ops one...

Maxpedition was to big so I sold it...the CC is alright to! I just wish they had double zippers like the Max has.
[

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:15:28 AM
the condor pouch might be a good option too.  just really depends on what you will need.  but i'd still say look at nite-ize.  they have an ass load of stuff that might work for you
'

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 03:05:46 AM
Im having a front pocket organizer made by a local canvass worker (if thats what hes called).   Just a guess that it'll be 3/4 to 1/2 size of the Urban wallet, its my own design so I don't know if it'll be any good.  Ill post pictures when I get it in my hands.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 12:35:14 PM
Look forward to seeing it.  :tu:
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 10:11:46 AM
Hmmm... Perhaps I should post some shots of my home-brewed, hand-made UW as well... :think:

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 12:49:28 PM
the condor pouch might be a good option too.  just really depends on what you will need.  but i'd still say look at nite-ize.  they have an ass load of stuff that might work for you

+1
My nite-ize Pockits currently holds my swisstool and its bits, a led torch, a nailfile, some paper scraps, a pen, a pencil, two cellphones and a BT headset, a paper measurement tape and a Band-aid. A little heavy (for its size, and filled), but well organized and -obviously- compact.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 03:45:11 PM
Hmmm... Perhaps I should post some shots of my home-brewed, hand-made UW as well... :think:

Yes you should  :pok: :D
I'm back!!

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 03:45:49 PM
Im still waiting for mine....I would love to see some pics of yours.  

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 09:56:39 PM
my pencilcase-organizer arrived, i´m quite impressed. can take some pics to review it.
I guess I will still go for something better, the NiteIze is nice, but the Spec-Ops thing seems to fit my bill better.

Thanks guys!
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 09:12:52 PM
OK, here´s my first impressions. Pic heavy.

I ordered one of the Nomadic brand pencil cases from Jetpens. According to the website Nomadic is speSmurfpillsed in highly organized cases, offering a wide range of pencilcases.
My brand new Nomadic case was less than 10 bucks, and has lots of pockets to organize pens and accesories. Or, in my case, EDC stuff!

Case (filled)

It has one outside pocket with a mesh part and a large zipper. Pens can be stored there, or maybe a ruler or something of that size...

On the inside, on the right side, there are three pockets. The large one in the back will fit pens, but it will also hold a large MT - my Spirit fits with ease! The two smaller pockets will hold erasers and ink refills - or, as you can see on the picture, a Fenix 1 CR123 light AND my Juice SC2!

On the left side, there are 5 pockets. Two large in the back for pens or my Spyderco Police or any other large folding knife. A 2 AA flashlight will fit there too. The three smaller pockets are perfect for accesories. A Fenix E01 light, a Vic classic and a mini fountain pen.

A last pocket in the middle fits a Sharpie!
Mine is orange, for it´s easier to find when lost and the color is not important for pocketcarry. The color makes it easier to find items in darker places.

I carry it in my cargo pockets, filled with:

3 Zebra pens (301 line, 1 gel, 1 ballpoint, mechanical pencil)
2 Uniball powertank pressurized pens
1 Sharpie
Juice SC2
Vic Cadet
Fenix E01 plus spare cell
2 painkillers
band-aids
10 Euro bill
some coins

I know it´s not perfect, but it´s what I carry now. I alway have a larger knive in my pocket, and my wallet and cell. everything else is in the case. Guess I will get  better one some time, but for now it´s nice.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:16:19 PM by Woz »
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 09:17:29 PM
Oh, I forgot: Pockets are deeper than they appear on my pics, for I pulled the stuff out for you to see. This is how it looks in use:
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 10:24:33 PM
I ordered one of the Nomadic brand pencil cases from Jetpens. According to the website Nomadic is speSmurfpillsed in highly organized cases, offering a wide range of pencilcases.
My brand new Nomadic case was less than 10 bucks, and has lots of pockets to organize pens and accesories. Or, in my case, EDC stuff!

Wow, that's a great case!  :cheers:

I looked on their site. I never would have guessed that the inside looks like that. Did you know of anywhere that has better pics?
[

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 10:35:06 PM
Sorry mate. I can make more pics of my case, but do not know where you can find better pics of the other cases - can not even find the manufacturers page, just some more reviews on other Nomadic products.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Offline ecfiffer

Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 04:00:59 AM
nifty case my friend
'

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 04:38:43 AM
Great case...is there any way that you could show it like half way in your pocket, please?  I have cargo pockets on my scrubs and I'd like to get an idea of how big it is, if you wouldn't mind.  :D
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 09:04:40 PM
Sure mate.

The Khaki pants are my free-time pants, but for I do not have to wear a uniform I wear them on the job too most time. As you can see the case is too high to fit, but the pockets are wide enough so I can carry the case in my cargo pockets comfortably and close the flap.
To compare: The pants are Cop brand, and very close to 5.11 brand pants - so you can compare pocket size.

The blue pants are uniform pants. The cargo pockets are way too small, but our uniform pants do really have small cargo pockets - about half BDU size.
The case will dive deep into the rear pocket, and for it is flat it is quite comfortable there.

Sorry for pic quality - I really don´t get the artificial lightning thing, my daylight pics are better.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:57 AM
Thanks for the pics... that looks like a good buy!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 12:49:15 AM
That looks very handy. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:30 AM
Thanks!  It does look very handy. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%