Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Paper Notebooks vs Smartphones?

MayaKowalczyk

Re: Paper Notebooks vs Smartphones?
Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 02:41:16 PM
Of course, many will say that it is better to use a smartphone than a pocket notebook. But I do not agree with this. My work involves constant negotiations with companies and personnel. Each of these conversations should be accompanied by a certain plan, which is convenient for me to write in a notebook. And in the phone information may not be saved, if some kind of system failure occurs, then in general all data can be lost. I wanted my notebook to be perfect and comfortable, so on the Internet I immediately looked for the best option. Having studied the site LINK REMOVED on which various types of notebooks were described, I found my “ideal” among them and bought myself a special pocket notebook for planning various business moments. 8)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:15:44 PM by Grant Lamontagne »

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 05:20:22 PM
Notebooks! :tu: I've got several pages of list. To Do lists, shopping lists, stuff for the grandkids lists, vehicle maintenance lists, hobby idea lists ....I should probably start a list of lists, with page number referencing.

The prices are going down on the 256GB Micro SD Cards since the 512GB cards have been out for awhile. I use my phone to store important files, music and use Google Keep to share a shopping list with my wife. She doesn't need to get a hold of me while she is in the store, since she can just pull up Google Keep and check the list. The cost of power banks (portable battery chargers) has come down a bit as well. Really handy to have a good one (or two) for those times when electrical outlets or USB ports are not available or during power outages.
The SAK Whittling Club |
Is it better to carry a 'paddle' or to be "up a creek" without one?

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 05:42:12 PM
wow, two posts only, in two necro threads, with two spamming links, in under two hours! :hatsoff:
A new record to write down on my notebook...  :D or is it on my Smartphone?  :think:
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 06:11:33 PM
I didn't mind the necro revival of my thread on cheap notebooks but YEAH SERIOUSLY  :twak:
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 06:41:04 PM
For a bunch of people who spend a load of money on your EDC gear you all seem to have outdated crappy phones :D

I take all notes on my phone using a pen (Note 8 rocks).
There are so many advantages to using a phone, like its searchable, you can copy order sort it, you even can add pictures you snap with your phone and annotate them. You can share them with friends.
Did I mention you can sort it? Also, if your handwriting is as ugly as mine (remember, I'm a doctor :D), its great to have the option to digitize the writing.
There is no need to leave a note for someone else, I just send them a message.
What I often need, is a waterproof marker to label something. So, that is what I carry sometimes.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 07:57:33 PM
I'm told I am the only one to be able to read my writing  :facepalm:.  I take voice notes from time to time using my phone.  I like paper especially when the note I am taking in that moment is shown to client and they can verify what is written and sometimes sign off.  I will later follow up with email.  Also If I am using said note I can keep the note handy rather than have my phone out.  Notes can be posted for others with reminders via phone.  I remember when some said we'd be paperless.......  I don't see it happening in my lifetime.     
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 09:38:55 PM
I found a great shopping list app for my phone. The advantage of this is I can add to it no matter where I am as I always have my phone with me. I might leave a paper list at home or in the car and I might be somewhere else when I think of something that needs to go on it.
The app allows me to add items which I then order based on where in the supermarket they are (eg fruit and veg at the top of the list as they are first when you come in the door). The items stay there on the list and  before each shop I simply uncheck the items that I need. Then I check them off as I go around the supermarket.

It worked great until one day my list was inexplicably wiped.  :facepalm:  Now I'm back to using paper.

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 09:48:52 PM
 :like: :iagree:
The app allows me to add items which I then order based on where in the supermarket they are (eg fruit and veg at the top of the list as they are first when you come in the door). The items stay there on the list and  before each shop I simply uncheck the items that I need. Then I check them off as I go around the supermarket.

My wife does the same thing with her grocery list. Again, that is using Google Keep. Really save time making the list when she is 'inventorying' our freezer, fridge and pantry.
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline GrandpaPatch

Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 09:55:33 PM
While I will agree with the benefits of using and app or document on your phone for your list and things, there is just a 'feeling' of still using and simple piece of paper and a pencil. Something I wish was still taught in the school systems today is cursive writing. NO...you can't use the phase "My dog ate my homework." when elementary level students are taking their newest gizmo tablet, laptop or other electronic device to school with the 'documents' of homework. The same homework that was assisted by spell check, thesaurus, grammer and other 'checker' abilities. Kids (and by now most young adults) don't, can't, won't write because THEY DON'T KNOW HOW! /rant
The SAK Whittling Club |

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 10:04:01 PM
I've been a smart phone user since the beginning.  I love all the things we can do with them.  The apps over time have really been wonderful but paper and pen/pencil still have a place in my day to day. 

A lot has changed in how we get things done.  My kids are pretty savvy when needing to access information or pretty much anything on the fly.  I don't always write everything down however having access to paper and pen/pencil is important for me. 

I now order groceries online  :whistle:, I put everything I want in my "cart" and check out then schedule a pick up.  No lists needed nor remembering anything.  My laptop is hauled into the kitchen while I go thru the fridge and pantry. 

Technology is awesome yet I enjoy writing down things too. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 10:33:23 PM
Wow we’re bringing back some old subjects,
I’d have to go with a paper notebook, heck I even carry one everyday, I used to carry small pieces of index cards in my wallet but my wife bought me a custom little book, it’s a mini composition book with a leather cover, but it’s come in handy, to top it off it goes in the back pocket with the hanky opposite of the wallet so it evens the back out rather then being tipped, not that there’s that much cash in the wallet, since what little is in the front but it’s one of those heavy thick saddleback leather wallets..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline J_Brown

• New User
Reply #41 on: January 27, 2019, 04:05:18 PM
As for me, both paper notebooks have their own use scenarios.
Even since I use Note smartphones for many years, paper notebooks are better for several purposes. For example, paper notebooks are suitable for writing down some important things or drawing something. At the moment I use A6 notebook with "crafted-style" paper, just like number 5 in the list below https://onplanners.com/notebooks/best-pocket-notebooks. Such recycled paper more eco-friendly and looks better among other gear.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%