Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Review: Fenix P1D and LD01

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Review: Fenix P1D and LD01
on: August 07, 2009, 07:00:11 PM
No pictures on this one, but I wanted to give some impressions from a Flashlight newbie.

First, these are both small.  As in tiny.  Really small.  The LD01 is essentially a hollow tube around a single AAA battery.  Rap some tape around a AAA and you have a good idea what the size will be.  Perfect on a keychain.  

The P1D has greater girth, but is about the same length.  For some, it will be more than they want on a keychain due to the diameter, but really it's like 1/3 of a roll of lifesavers (fruit flavored, not pepOmint).  Both have a hole at the base where a small ring can be attached.  Additionally. there's a small cut out so that the ring won't sit proud of the endcap.  Very nice touch.

Both of these are twist ons, which is fine for me and preferable for pocket carry.

They both have multiple levels of brightness, with the P1D having the silly strobe feature--great for that "disco" feel, but seriously, I don't think I'll ever use it. (I have used it once on my headlamp, but that's another story....)

At their brightest settings, both are blindingly bright.  Much brighter than my Maglite 2AA flashlight with NiteEze LED conversion kit (several years old).  Amazing.  In direct comparison, the P1D is brighter than the LD01, no doubt, but I'm not sure how much practical difference it will make.

My wife is putting the LD01 on the keychain with her scooter key (and 58mm SAK--a Rambler, I think).  The P1D is going in my tankbag to replace a cheapo brand 2AAA twist on light.

After testing them out, she wants a P1D for her purse and wants one for our daughter to carry.

I'm gonna get a LD01 for myself, and try pocket EDCing it on my keychain with a SAK.

My preference:
Based purely on the convenience and price of AAA cells, I pick the LD01, realizing I'm sacrificing some lumens for convenience, but hey,  that's just how I roll  8).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:06:09 PM by Mr. Whippy »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD