Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?

GraysonK · 153 · 12054

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Re: Is there any MT you wouldn't ever buy/use?
Reply #60 on: August 09, 2009, 10:12:44 PM
This thread makes you appreciate the efforts of companies who do push the envelope even more, like CKRT, Spyderco's SpyderWrench, even SOG, etc.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they are taking big risks and really trying something new.  :salute:
I"ll agree with that.  It's amazing what some of these companies come up with.  I may not ever intend to buy a Skeletool but I can understand what LM was going for when they developed it.  Same thing with the Crunch and Spyderench.  Don't know what I'll ever own one of those either, but they are neat.  
Gray
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #61 on: August 10, 2009, 04:52:30 PM
Anything by ......SOG.

SOG because they simply don't appeal to me. Good tools though.
Really?  SOG's compound leverage and interchangable components was what sold me on them.  My first MT was a SOG.
I don't know. I've owned a couple and they just didn't feel right. I'm not saying they're bad but I just couldn't warm up to them.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #62 on: August 10, 2009, 07:05:33 PM
CRKT's always been my favorite due to picking up the more innovative (and retarded) designers into production. :D

And I would use all of them. =D

There's a lot of Leatherman and SOG tools I would NEVER use. Tools that expensive don't deserve to be used!
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #63 on: August 10, 2009, 07:37:26 PM
CRKT's always been my favorite due to picking up the more innovative (and retarded) designers into production. :D

And I would use all of them. =D

There's a lot of Leatherman and SOG tools I would NEVER use. Tools that expensive don't deserve to be used!

:twak:
I'm back!!

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: August 10, 2009, 07:48:02 PM
I try to never say never. Twenty six years ago I thought the PST was a over priced yuppie tool, now I own and use a few. I also once thought that Spyderco`s were the most ugly knife ever invented and would not buy one. Now I own and use a few. As for some other things in this thread I`m reminded of the words of an old Hebrew King who said "there is nothing new under the sun."
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: August 10, 2009, 07:49:53 PM
I try to never say never. Twenty six years ago I thought the PST was a over priced yuppie tool, now I own and use a few. I also once thought that Spyderco`s were the most ugly knife ever invented and would not buy one. Now I own and use a few. As for some other things in this thread I`m reminded of the words of an old Hebrew King who said "there is nothing new under the sun."

NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER.
Got those frog legs.

us Offline David

Reply #66 on: August 10, 2009, 10:17:20 PM

Oh come on now OLF you know you`d love to have one of those 150.00 Bass Pro Camo Leatherman Charge TTi`s just so you could look at it and   :drool:    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: August 10, 2009, 10:33:23 PM

Oh come on now OLF you know you`d love to have one of those 150.00 Bass Pro Camo Leatherman Charge TTi`s just so you could look at it and   :drool:    :D

If by look at it you mean record its traumatic and slow death on video and posting it on youtube for all the world to see then YES. YES!!! DIIIIEEEE.
Got those frog legs.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #68 on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:39 PM
I have to agree a little (Just a little) bit with OLF.. ::) There are certainly some of my 2HO Leatherman Tools,
I would never actually use due to the price.. For example..: The Danish Charge XTI cost 267$ here and 228 $ on "Sale"...  :P
There are alot of other tools, I would use before these, but they sure are nice to have..  ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #69 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:27 PM
I have to agree a little (Just a little) bit with OLF.. ::) There are certainly some of my 2HO Leatherman Tools,
I would never actually use due to the price.. For example..: The Danish Charge XTI cost 267$ here and 228 $ on "Sale"...  :P
There are alot of other tools, I would use before these, but they sure are nice to have..  ;)

I just don't get the logic.  :think:  It's OK to spend over $200 on something just to look at and is basically just an ornament, but it's not OK to spend over $200 on a great tool and use it for what it was designed for.  That to me is just crazyness  :ahhh
I'm back!!

us Offline django.cj

Reply #70 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:24 PM
Pretty much anything Gerber. Everything Ive gotten from them feels chintsy and Chinese made.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #71 on: August 11, 2009, 07:38:35 PM

I just don't get the logic.  :think:  It's OK to spend over $200 on something just to look at and is basically just an ornament, but it's not OK to spend over $200 on a great tool and use it for what it was designed for.  That to me is just crazyness  :ahhh
I'm afraid I agree with Benner on this one.  I don't understand that either.  If I buy a tool, especially one that I've researched extensively then I'm gonna use it.  Most tools/knives are designed to be used.  That's why they exist.  Granted, I don't get some of the designs out there and some of them I think were thrown together by a half blind one handed person with a twitch :D, but they were still designed for something.  
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #72 on: August 11, 2009, 07:45:38 PM
My opinion is somewhere in the middle.  I have users and shelf queens.  They are independent of price.  The old Vic "proto"farmer is just too unusual for me to use, but I like to handle it.  The Damascus Wave may get rare ribbon cutting duties.  The XAVT gets civilized use, BUT the Charge, Surge, and all the others which are readily replaceable get used for anything and everything that comes up. 

Heck, I used the OH Locksmith to trim off bits of asphalt shingles during recent roof repairs.  Those tools which can't be readily replaced, are more gingerly handled--again independent of price.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #73 on: August 11, 2009, 07:48:24 PM
I just don't get the logic.  :think:  It's OK to spend over $200 on something just to look at and is basically just an ornament, but it's not OK to spend over $200 on a great tool and use it for what it was designed for.  That to me is just crazyness  :ahhh
I've never said that it's not OK to use the expensive tools, (that's perfectly fine with me), but there is some tools, I wouldn't use.. Everybody screams: :drool:  :gimme: when somebody has landed an AL-Mar tool, but who would go cut wire with it in the weekends..?  :)

(I gotta say, that I haven't paid full price for my LM's, so they might see some use........ someday.) ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:33:06 PM by AHB »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: August 11, 2009, 08:44:48 PM
I just don't get the logic.  :think:  It's OK to spend over $200 on something just to look at and is basically just an ornament, but it's not OK to spend over $200 on a great tool and use it for what it was designed for.  That to me is just crazyness  :ahhh
I've never said that it's not OK to use the expensive tools, (that's perfectly fine with me), but there is some tools, I wouldn't use.. Everybody screams: :drool:  :gimme: when somebody has landed an AL-Mar tool, but who would go cut wire with it in the weekends..?  :)

(I gotta say, that I haven't paid full price for my LM's, so they might see some use........ someday.) ;)

For the money it cost I'd be cutting more than sodding wire with it.  :D

Everything I have gets used regardless of sentiment or cost.  It's what it's made for.
I'm back!!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: August 11, 2009, 08:50:22 PM

For the money it cost I'd be cutting more than sodding wire with it.  :D

Everything I have gets used regardless of sentiment or cost.  It's what it's made for.
:D
(I actually hope you NEVER get one of those... ment in a good way)  ;)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: August 11, 2009, 08:51:26 PM
Don't worry I never would as it would be a bit pointless considering the price.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: August 11, 2009, 10:38:28 PM
I'm very much in the never say never camp as far as purchasing.  Use is a bit harder, I certainly have a lot of shelf queens.  You never know though, I have carried and used silver SAKs.  I felt a little guilty but in a pleasurably naughty sort of way  :o :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #78 on: August 12, 2009, 05:21:50 AM
I don't think I could ever use a color annodized SAK other than silver... it's like my black Fenix E01, it looks worn, but just something about it looks distinguished, like the guys and women with silver around their temples, or streaks of grey/silver. :)  Still, on a Fenix that's $15, that's fine; not so much for a SAK. :/

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I am no longer going to purchase from Leatherman, with the exception of a new Micra should I ever need a replacement, or /possibly/ a replacement P4, likewise only if I have to replace it.  I don't like how it'll rust if I just look at it long enough. :/  It's nothing against the Leatherman corporation in particular, it's just that it's a rust magnet. :/  I'm switching to Victorinox for a replacement.  Now if only /they/ had the bit sockets integrated... granted, they do have the ratchet, which I'll most likely get. *nods*

It's just odd, though; today I had decided to narrow down my list of eventual replacements for my current KF4 and Kick, and I eliminated all six Leatherman choices due to how rust prone my Kick is. :/  On top of that, now I'm debating as to whether I want a SwissTool or a Spirit (most likely the Spirit), but I still have a smurfing time distinguishing between the models.  I think it's time for another SAKwiki visit. >.>;

If I don't find a buyer for my Kick, I suppose I'll keep it for a back up multitool?  I guess?   ???

[Edit:  I think I'll go with the SwissTool Spirit X Plus Ratchet kit.  Now if only they had the 40-sided bit options of Leatherman. XD]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:27:52 AM by Sazabi »

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:59 AM
On top of that, now I'm debating as to whether I want a SwissTool or a Spirit (most likely the Spirit), but I still have a smurfing time distinguishing between the models.  I think it's time for another SAKwiki visit. >.>;

By far the most important difference between the SwissTool and Spirit is the size.

The Spirit is a tad longer than a Kick, and quite a bit heavier. The SwissTool is a lot longer, larger and heavier than the Kick.

Unless you want the rescue blade, all the implements are similar enough that I doubt they would be a deciding factor.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: August 12, 2009, 02:47:26 PM
I don't think I could ever use a color annodized SAK other than silver... it's like my black Fenix E01, it looks worn, but just something about it looks distinguished, like the guys and women with silver around their temples, or streaks of grey/silver. :)  Still, on a Fenix that's $15, that's fine; not so much for a SAK. :/

Also, I have come to the conclusion that I am no longer going to purchase from Leatherman, with the exception of a new Micra should I ever need a replacement, or /possibly/ a replacement P4, likewise only if I have to replace it.  I don't like how it'll rust if I just look at it long enough. :/  It's nothing against the Leatherman corporation in particular, it's just that it's a rust magnet. :/  I'm switching to Victorinox for a replacement.  Now if only /they/ had the bit sockets integrated... granted, they do have the ratchet, which I'll most likely get. *nods*

It's just odd, though; today I had decided to narrow down my list of eventual replacements for my current KF4 and Kick, and I eliminated all six Leatherman choices due to how rust prone my Kick is. :/  On top of that, now I'm debating as to whether I want a SwissTool or a Spirit (most likely the Spirit), but I still have a smurfing time distinguishing between the models.  I think it's time for another SAKwiki visit. >.>;

If I don't find a buyer for my Kick, I suppose I'll keep it for a back up multitool?  I guess?   ???

[Edit:  I think I'll go with the SwissTool Spirit X Plus Ratchet kit.  Now if only they had the 40-sided bit options of Leatherman. XD]

A rust magnet?!?  :D  What a load of tosh!  :D Is this something you have actually had yourself or are you simply only going on something which has been said on here?

I must have said this 100 times now, but once more won't hurt.  I have carried Leatherman tools for 6 years and never EVER had a spot of rust and that's despite using them and not actually cleaning, oiling or anything for the most part.  Vic steel rusts as well you know and evidence of that is on this site.
I'm back!!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #81 on: August 12, 2009, 03:25:35 PM
Agreed. The Leatherman Pulse, which is the longest owned Leatherman that I have, has not rusted. My father wore that thing everywhere.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: August 12, 2009, 03:53:25 PM
I gotta go with the group on this.  My PST has been used in all sorts of muck, from muddy ditches, to the Atlantic Ocean, Removing leaky car batteries, and the floors of horse stalls.  The closest it's been to cleaned is wiped off on my jeans.  

No rust in 10 years of hard service--up until I got my Skeletool (a few months before joining MT.O).

I don't know what y'all get on your LMs to get them to rust overnight, but I haven't found it yet. :think:

Edit to add:  That's right, it's MickyD spittle  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #83 on: August 12, 2009, 03:56:07 PM
Quote from: Sazabi
It's just odd, though; today I had decided to narrow down my list of eventual replacements for my current KF4 and Kick, and I eliminated all six Leatherman choices due to how rust prone my Kick is.

In fairness Ben he did say it was based on his experience with his Kick.  Like you mate, I don't have any experience of rusting with any of my Leatherman's but clearly others have.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #84 on: August 12, 2009, 04:08:21 PM
It's just odd, though; today I had decided to narrow down my list of eventual replacements for my current KF4 and Kick, and I eliminated all six Leatherman choices due to how rust prone my Kick is.

In fairness Ben he did say it was based on his experience with his Kick.  Like you mate, I don't have any experience of rusting with any of my Leatherman's but clearly others have.

Didn't see that  :salute:

Still, I just can't see what these rust guys do to their tools?  :think:  I am far from nice with a few of mine and I don't have any issues at all and have never received a rusty Leatherman.  I have received rusty SAK's though.
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #85 on: August 12, 2009, 04:20:09 PM

Still, I just can't see what these rust guys do to their tools?  :think:  I am far from nice with a few of mine and I don't have any issues at all and have never received a rusty Leatherman.  I have received rusty SAK's though.

I really am strongly starting to suspect it's down to folks own body chemistry.  I could also be persuaded that it's down to the satin finish on  the Kick/Fuse etc, but I'd need some good evidence.  I don't carry my Blast or Fuse enough to be able to say for myself.  I do know that my old Supertool went through hell with me and didn't rust, also my P4 has seen a lot of carry and shown no signs of it yet either.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #86 on: August 12, 2009, 04:22:03 PM

I really am strongly starting to suspect it's down to folks own body chemistry.  I could also be persuaded that it's down to the satin finish on  the Kick/Fuse etc, but I'd need some good evidence.  I don't carry my Blast or Fuse enough to be able to say for myself.  I do know that my old Supertool went through hell with me and didn't rust, also my P4 has seen a lot of carry and shown no signs of it yet either.

So you mean it could be Mike's acid sweat after all?!  :o :D
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #87 on: August 12, 2009, 04:38:01 PM

Could be. :-X ;)  You also have to take into account the environmental conditions as well.  All in all I think it's fair to say that leatherman's are (at worst) unlikely to rust, will clean up perfectly well if they do, and won't at all if you look after them. :)

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 04:41:10 PM

Could be. :-X ;)  You also have to take into account the environmental conditions as well.  All in all I think it's fair to say that leatherman's are (at worst) unlikely to rust, will clean up perfectly well if they do, and won't at all if you look after them. :)

All well and good, but I'm still not gonna let Mike touch my Damascus Wave.

You know, just in case... :ahhh

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 04:44:09 PM
Better be safe than sorry  :D
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56