Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Extra wide monitors

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Extra wide monitors
on: December 08, 2019, 04:01:01 AM
I got some time off at the end of this year and was looking into reorganizing my computer desk area. I have everything i would need for dual monitor setup - mounts , arms , hdmi cables from my last job.  With those extra wide monitors it looks like a cleaner set up than the ole 2-3 monitor set ups normally in desktop areas. Price wise the dual monitors may be cheaper than a single wide monitor. I don't game but I do run a lot of programs at the same time. Those wide monitors look vivid .
I see 4k in my future rig in 2020. 

I do watch a lot of videos so 2 x 27'' @ 2560x1440 or 1x 34'' @ 3440x 1440.  :dd: :dd:
:like:    :MTO:

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Extra wide monitors
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 10:16:14 AM
As someone who has used 34" 3440x1440 both flat and curved I tell you, you definitively want a curved one.

I had a flat one at work, and when my colleague went on holiday, I stole his curved screen... never gave it back >:D. I was worried as I do a lot of screen design stuff, that on the curved I would not see the straight lines straight, but you get used so quickly and from the first minute on, it was clear that I would stick to the curved, it is so much better.

Before getting the 34", I used 2 x 19" @ (can't remember the resolution, but it was more than Full HD). I most definitively prefer a single large screen, as you can have your main working area in the center and other stuff to the sides.
Size wise, I find the 34" comfortable and don't have to move much to see all, larger I find not much of an improvement anymore (My boss has a 49" 5120x1440 , which I stole too, when he was away, but gave it back). If I were to upgrade then to a 34" 5120x2160.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:13:40 PM
Right now I sit at a 27" 2560x1440 or so. It is a bit cramped for certain applications. I also have an old 30" 2560x1600 which just seems like a better format overall, but still not much extra space. Then some years ago I tried to use a 40" 4K television. I had to move a bit back, but it actually worked fine - light levels a bit less even than the monitors, but overall a positive trade.

Thus personally I'd prefer larger and more resolution over wider, but that is just my use.

If I were to upgrade then to a 34" 5120x2160.

+1 to that. That sounds sweet.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 08:07:15 AM
Been eyeing those curved ultrawides for a long time. Maybe once this remote job ends... they have come down so much in price!

My screen at home is just a regular 24inch FHD (1920x1080) I have always wanted dual, but they have to be matching, and with as little surrounding edge as possible.

Typing this on my laptop which is 13inch QHD+ (3200x1800) which is great, but wish it was a much larger screen, and windows scaling didn't suck so badly.

At work we have 24inch WUXGA (1920x1200) which are definitely better than FHD if you have just one, that additional vertical space is great for the typical poorly designed apps where menubars use up far too much vertical space...

We have some 49inch 4K TVs on order for the meeting rooms, looking forward to having a play around with those.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%