Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Android desktop experience Includes Dex and others.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Android desktop experience Includes Dex and others.
on: December 19, 2019, 04:07:31 AM
With the hopefulness that Android Q will have a desktop shell and having used the Samsung Dex on my Samsung S8 + :like: I am wondering if anyone else has had the pleasure of using your phone in a desktop type environment :think: It is pretty cool and Dex works fairly well, still not to the point of replacing a laptop but it is still pretty cool and will continue to get better 8)

I have a computer monitor with an HDMI connection, a USB type C charger cable, a Logitech wireless keyboard/touchpad USB and an HDMI USB hub for my setup :cheers: I have been back and forth using it at work since we have an office setup on this project :tu: The cell data deosn't have the best signal in that particular spot but otherwise the shell is working pretty well :tu:

So anyone else using Dex or some other type of desktop like Android app for their mobile devices :cheers:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Android desktop experience Includes Dex and others.
Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 11:26:28 AM
In theory couldn't you use a port replicator hub to have all your accessories hooked up via the USB-C on the phone?

At work we're switching all the old (Lenovo) docking stations to the new USB-C version which is pretty much working with any brand of PC that has USB-C, although the charging only works with models that have thunderbolt USB-C, so with those laptops you need the power cable as well. But that means you get dual display, USB-A, Ethernet, and a couple other ports all off one cable.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

fi Offline Gath

Re: Android desktop experience Includes Dex and others.
Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 12:09:23 AM
I've a Honor View 20 so I've used the Huawei Easy Projection implementation. Like Dex it is still jankier than a laptop but certainly far better for big screen actions and running productivity apps.

And yes indeed the modern USB-C ports are pretty nifty, I've connected keyboards, mice, gaming controllers and USB hard drives trough a cheapo hub I have and all work well.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%