Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So what do you ride?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: So what do you ride?
Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:12 PM
trailers are cool me and my 4 year old son destroyed ours jumping of kerbs :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Re: So what do you ride?
Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 07:04:39 PM
NutSAK..is your Schwinn one of the ones built on a Giant frame? I  don't know exactly when the two parted ways.

I was not aware that Schwinn ever sold bikes with a Giant frame, actually.  I seem to recall that they had farmed out some of the frame assembly (welding) to Giant, but I'm not sure when that happened.  Do you know any more about that?  The S 9five frame is a design based upon the excellent 6061 "Homegrown" frame that Schwinn was producing at the time.

I was working at the shop at that time.  I remember Schwinn went into bankruptcy in 1992 and was purchased by Zell-Climark soon after.  The mid 90s were some of their best years, but they still couldn't hold it in the black.  I cannot tell you how disappointed I was when Pacific Cycle bought Schwinn in 2001, and they began showing up on department store floors.
I don't remember the dates of the Schwinn-Giant collaboration,it was Schwinn management's decision to look for other sources,so as not to be so dependent on Giant,that led Giant to step out on it's own.I agree the dept store stuff is abominable,but the LBS stuff is pretty good,especially the upper end stuff is mostly built on Kinesis frames.If Kinesis ever decides to step out on it's own..a lot of bike companies are going to be hurting and scrambling for new frame suppliers..including Trek Bianchi,Diamondback among others.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD