Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help I can't decide

jock1 · 12 · 3178

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Help I can't decide
on: May 06, 2007, 06:21:09 PM
Hi Folks
I am new to this forum and would be grateful for advice I have finally made up my mind that I want a S.A.K for e.d.c and a swiss tool for camping, trips out basically as a  portable toll box .
The S.A.K would have to cover most eventuallities I most often need a decent blade, scissors, can /bottle opener ,a range of screwdrivers, pliers and the odd time a file/hack saw and wood saw
The swiss tool is my choice 'cause it is nearly bomb proof and has a decent range of tools so I am leaning toward the original swiss tool with an added bit kit to expand the screwdriver options

Offline supratentorial

Re: Help I can't decide
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 06:30:50 PM
Hi Folks
...I most often need a decent blade, scissors... I am leaning toward the original swiss tool...

The original SwissTool lacks scissors so you may want to consider the SwissTool X (my favorite of the SwissTools) or the SwissTool RS.  The SwissTool X has a file and the SwissTool RS has a rescue blade.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 06:50:55 PM
If you get a SwissTool RS or X then you can have the scissors there, which means you may not need them in your SAK.  If that's the case, strongly consider the One Handed Trekker model, which will give you the benefit of a one handed opening, locking blade.

Of course, the SwissTool X and RS both seem to cover all the bases you have listed, so you may not even need a SAK to go along with it.  Most SAKs will just be a series of redundant tools to the SwissTool.  Can openers, scissors etc can be found on most models.  The "decent blade" is what made me think of the OHT, but that's subjective.  A Farmer or Soldier model could be considered a decent blade as well, depending on your needs.

I'd suggest poking around www.sosakonline.com for different SAK ideas.  There are literally hundreds of variations and combinations available, and perhaps the best way to start finding the "right" one for you would be to decide on a definition of a "decent" blade for you.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 07:45:49 PM
Just remember the Multitool.org official motto...

"When in doubt... buy both!"
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 07:46:34 PM
Well then Jock is in trouble because there's about 5 or six options mentioned here!   :o

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 07:48:21 PM
Personally, I think one of the larger CyberTool models is best. The model 41 includes a bottle opener, can opener, pliers, wood saw, file/hacksaw, and scizzors.

It also, of course has a good blade, but the main reason, however, is the screwdriver/bit set, it gives you 8 different drivers.

It's not as heavy duty as the SwissTools, but it has everything you said you want in a smaller package than a SwissTool with a bit set.

I seem to be one of the only people on this site that prefers the standard Swiss Army knives to the SwissTools.
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 07:55:03 PM
I can't say that I prefer one to the other... after all, I own a multitool site and I own a SAK site!  In reality, they are different tools, and you really can't compare them directly.  I find more than anything, they compliment eachother, which was Tim Leatherman's original concept.  He originally wanted to develop a tool to use with a SAK when you didn't have access to regular tools, such as when you were broken down at the side of the highway.

Plus, it's hard to turn a screw when you have nothing to hold the nut on the other side, so you really do need one of each!

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 08:02:25 PM

Plus, it's hard to turn a screw when you have nothing to hold the nut on the other side, so you really do need one of each!

Def

Yup, I carry a plier based multi and a "bigger" SAK with heavier screwdriver blades.  The Soldier has those heavier drivers and are harder to snap shut than on a smaller model like my Sportsman.  It add greatly to the usability of both tools when combined :multi:

jock1:I most often need a decent blade, scissors, can /bottle opener ,a range of screwdrivers, pliers and the odd time a file/hack saw and wood saw

The One Handed Trekker excels at all those except the scissors and file which would be on your Swisstool (I think there's a file on that), but the main blade and wood saw are great...and it has three drivers including an actual Phillips head (and an awl, toothpick, tweexers..)

The Locksmith SAK has a nice looking file, although I've never used one.
[

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 10:32:37 AM
Thanks for the advice I think I will get the S.A.K first as it's one of the few things you can legally make a case for carrying in Scotland as long as the blade doesn't lock and is under three inches .The handyman model seems to fit the bill but I want a cybertool (more bits to play with) 

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 02:20:07 PM
Hello jock and welcome to the forums  :) . The std Swisstool although it doesnt have scissors it does have an effective serrated blade as well as a plain blade . I find a Vic Climber pairs rather well with a std Swisstool .
Dunc

Offline znapschatz

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 06:36:59 PM
Hi Folks
...I most often need a decent blade, scissors... I am leaning toward the original swiss tool...

The original SwissTool lacks scissors so you may want to consider the SwissTool X (my favorite of the SwissTools) or the SwissTool RS.  The SwissTool X has a file and the SwissTool RS has a rescue blade.

But then you lose the serrated blade, which can very useful in an outdoor environment.  Since you are considering pairing it with a SAK, a good choice would be the original SwissTool and a SAK model with scissors.  That way, you can have it all.  IMHO, Vic got it right first time out.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 10:57:05 AM
Thanks for the advice I think I will get the S.A.K first as it's one of the few things you can legally make a case for carrying in Scotland as long as the blade doesn't lock and is under three inches .The handyman model seems to fit the bill but I want a cybertool (more bits to play with) 
i try to stay legal wherever possible too, that said i,ve never had any problems carrying my swisstool X (very highly reccommended ;)) I think the boys and girls in blue tend to recognise multi tools as just that TOOLS.

with the 91mm saks your always going to be legal and sheeple friendly, a 108mm or 111mm or oht your going to have to have a reason :angry:

for that reason i only carry a modded 108 or a farmer/91mm.

so for the long post :grin:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44