Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MultiTasker-AR15 tool

Offline tinman44

MultiTasker-AR15 tool
on: August 25, 2009, 04:55:13 AM
http://multitaskertools.com/info.html

I have recently been looking for a multi tool to carry in my chest rig. After looking around at some of the other designs on the market, I decided to give the multi tasker a try. This thread http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28046 is where my search began.

Initial thoughts:

This tool is built like a tank. It is a little heavy (11 oz), though considering the tools it replaces I would suggest it's not that heavy. The G10 grips are comfortable and secure. The tanto blade came hair popping sharp, I prefer tanto for this application for the straight edge. The knife also has a liner lock that is solid. There's a larue wrench 3/8" boxed, it works as advertised. Standard file with sharp chisel tip. Bent tip carbon scraper is handy and can be used in more than one cleaning application. I like the castle nut wrench but I couldn't test it since I have a magpul UBR, I would assume this wouldn't be used for torqing just for field tightening. There is also a front sight adjustment tool that doubles as a screwdriver with included bits. The shaft is long enough to reach the pistol grip screw, added plus for me. The bits are well made w/ball detent (hollow ground from high carbon steel) and most sizes are AR15 typically used sizes. Overall initial impressions are this tool is what I have been looking for. Lets get on with some pictures

Picture review:

G10 panels really set this tool apart from most multi tools on the market. The bolts are extremely rugged for my untrained eye.

Simple needle nose pliers with wire cutter. Straight forward, essential.

Castle nut wrench. Not sturdy enough to torque, however plenty sturdy enough to tighten those unstaked castle nuts so your range day dosent end pre-maturely.

4 Prong front post sight adjustment as well as screw driver bit holder. The prongs on this adjustment tool do not bend like other sight tools I've owned in the past.

The bits are commonly used sizes in most AR15 accesories. (2 flathead, 1 phillips, T10 Torx, T15 Torx, plus 3/32”, 7/64”, 1/8”, 9/64” and 3/16” hex bits)

The larue wrench.(3/8") I know what you're thinking "larue sent me one with my mount" well I understand this one comes already mounted in every Multitasker. Free with purchase of Multitasker

As you can see this tanto is for lefties. I bet if the designer was right handed then this wouldn't be mounted wrong :p

Liner lock. Locks up good, I would be willing to say all my folders have liner locks. Leatherman probably has a trademark on their multitool locks.

Needle nose are small enough to get the retaining pin out.

Chisel tip. Until I used this I had never cleaned out the bolt carrier.

The bent tip scraper has a perfect radius to it. I understand this was inspired by the Chinese traditional bamboo ear-wax pickers. I used to just scrape this crud off with a pocket knife, state of the art cleaning

Also gets down inside those hard to reach places in your BCG.

YECK!! Actually most of the chunks went flying while this scraper worked.

Heres a look at the shims. If I recall correctly the shims are brass instead of plastic.

I was told the case may be redesigned. I would like to see some Olive drab. I know digital is the new black but I still prefer OD.

Final thoughts:

This Multitasker fits my needs and does so in a compact durable design. The tools that fold away into this multitool cannot be carried on my chest rig like this can. In fact I would suggest to anyone that has a better design get producing, though I think you'll be surprised to find there is experience in this design. The designer also put the 1911 tool on the market and it has it's place as does this tool. I have other multi tools (leathermans) several in fact and they will stay where they are, though my multitool will be in my administrative pouch on my rig. Only suggestion I could come up with for the designer is to design a better way to get the sight tool out, perhaps a thumb catch of some sort. Also an OD case would be better for me. Knife seams like it is for lefties and this could be neccesary with clearances, kinda a non issue.

This is my first review and I hope it helps in some way. I have been wanting to write reviews for some time. I wish I could have had more in depth discussion, though I prefer the reader to see what I can show them with pictures. I have got to get a better camera and lighting. I hope to do a review on at least one of the other multi tools, my dad has the one on order that goes in the grip.
slide show of my product testing
http://img41.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img41/4681/1245128928z98.smil

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Re: MultiTasker-AR15 tool
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 05:04:55 AM
Thanks for posting this review here!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 05:08:18 AM
Interesting tool. I guess you could always slip the Gerber out of an OTIS kit and you should be good to go in the field.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 07:15:17 AM
Looks like an interesting tool :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline tinman44

Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 01:24:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. I looked at the other ar-15 tools. I had a multitool in my chest rig, this took the place of it. I still kinda have a multitool in my chest rig but now I have less tools in my range bag and more tools in my chest rig. The gerber tool was expensive and didn't have all my "needs" in mind. The one samson was also pretty high and wouldnt go in my MagPul MIAD. I went this route due to it's capability and what I needed. If you have plenty of multitools already and maybe plenty of cash, try the other ones.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 01:45:14 AM
Thanks for the review tinman. By the way, don't sell yourself short regarding pictures and lighting, I think the photos in your review came out just great! :tu:

As regards the MultiTasker, it appears to be a purpose-built tool from the ground up, would you agree? (In other words, it doesn't look like some generic crap Chinese multitool that someone just added a few AR15-specific junky tools to......?) 

I like the look of the plier head, I like the G10 scales, little things like the file blade and the sight adjustment tool appear to be quality made. But of course I can only tell so much from looking at photos...what are your first hand impressions of the quality?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 03:42:23 AM
Great review and the pics look great to me as well :cheers: I like that it is a specialized MT in the future it would be nice to see some of the big names to come out with more specialized versions as well :tu: Example ( a MT geared towards motorcycles or a MT with tools that a Bricklayer  ::) might need :D ) Great read thanks :cheers:

Offline tinman44

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:32:23 AM
Thanks for the review tinman. By the way, don't sell yourself short regarding pictures and lighting, I think the photos in your review came out just great! :tu:

As regards the MultiTasker, it appears to be a purpose-built tool from the ground up, would you agree? (In other words, it doesn't look like some generic crap Chinese multitool that someone just added a few AR15-specific junky tools to......?)  

I like the look of the plier head, I like the G10 scales, little things like the file blade and the sight adjustment tool appear to be quality made. But of course I can only tell so much from looking at photos...what are your first hand impressions of the quality?
Thanks for the props on the photography, I worked as a action photographer in NY for a couple years with a 30k camera and that was ten years ago. These photos in comparison are "ok".

As far as the purpose built, I would definately agree. The designer "Shane" did exactly this, designed a multitool with ar15's in mind, he wanted a multitool with ar15 bits not a ar15 tool with multitool bits. At least thats the impression I got from him. This tool is durable, built like a tank. If you are in the SouthEast and can attend a silencer shoot a week from Saturday I'll have mine with me and you can mess around with it.

It's funny that you said "(In other words, it doesn't look like some generic crap Chinese multitool that someone just added a few AR15-specific junky tools to......?)" That is almost a direct qoute from another website where a review was recently done on this exact tool. Although I assure you it is not.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:38:33 AM by tinman44 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD