Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

compasses that lie?

John · 17 · 2913

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
compasses that lie?
on: October 12, 2009, 10:30:30 PM
I was checking a small compass I got from china awhile back it's kept in a survival tin I made up,

the thing is the little sod is lying  ;) for a moment I thought I was losing my mind, I always knew the sun rises in the east and sets in the west so I double checked I waited until sunset and this is what I found  :ahhh

My silva the one on the left was correct and the sun set in the west however with the cheap one the opposite was true the sun set in the east LOL

Anyway it got me thinking the small one must be optimised for the southern hemisphere, best check your compasses guys  :D

[edit]sorry for the blurry picture my camera hates night time  :ahhh

« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:32:01 PM by John »

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: compasses that lie?
Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:35:32 PM
Yes, I to have compasses which are from China and perhaps, are still pointing that way  ::)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:31 PM
I remember years back, when walking with my father, getting very turned around on a cloud-bound hilltop due to a demagnetised compass*.  We bumped into a couple of other walkers who told us where we were, except that after 20 minutes we worked out they were even more lost than us. ::)

Anyway since then I always check my compass for accuracy before going out walking.

*Not Chinese either, it was a Silva IIRC.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:32:58 AM
My watch Silva compass suddenly started pointing in the wrong direction one day as well.  Very odd.  The only reason I knew was because I checked it on my old marching compass (which I bloody broke when cleaning ages ago and had to modify into something else  ::)).  Good job I checked really.
I'm back!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 02:05:56 AM
Most of the small survival compasses are pure junk.  Nothing can replace a good liquid filled orienteering compass by the major manufacturers like Silva, Brunton or Suunto. 

Offline FredKJ

Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 02:19:11 AM
Even a good compass can get the polarity screwed up.  Always check it before you go out and don't put it on dumb things like stereo speakers with powerful magnets.  Don't put them around anything that could have an electromagnetic field.  Of course in the field don't use it around metal.  Other than that a quality orienteering compass will settle quickly and always point to "magnetic" North.  It is a piece of equipment you want to "know" is working reliably.  A decent orienteering compass is not an expensive investment.  Most survival tools or kits that have a compass are pure crap. 

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:47:18 AM
http://www.cammenga.com/cammenga-products.php?category=1

That's what I use.  Made right here in Michigan!  The knock off Lensatics can be anywhere from 3-8 degrees off when they work correctly...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 02:52:55 AM
Military style lensatics are typically not as good for basic outdoor orienteering.  They are usually induction damped and don't have the new features of magnetic  declination adjustment.  However if you are navigating at night the tritium illumination is better for the purpose.  Of course a good one is more than $60+.  It would be nice to see an orienteering style liquid filled with tritium. 

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:03:34 AM
Military style lensatics are typically not as good for basic outdoor orienteering.  They are usually induction damped and don't have the new features of magnetic  declination adjustment.  However if you are navigating at night the tritium illumination is better for the purpose.  Of course a good one is more than $60+.  It would be nice to see an orienteering style liquid filled with tritium. 

I've never had problems using the Cammenga for any type of Navigation.  The Cammenga comes with instruction to adjust for declination, and if you use USGS maps it makes it even easier since they include the declination right on the map.  (assuming you have a current map, as declination changes over time)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 03:06:02 AM
they had a good thread about this in BF recently, like stated always check them first, keep metal away when doing so, keep in mind ferrous metals, rocks/formations (like hematite or magnetite) and structures have metal and could effect readings, try different locations when checking.

you can't wreck them by putting magnets or electronic fields by them permanently, just temp. you need a super strong field to do that, or high-heat or a really hard sudden blow to the needle, the whole thing will break first (cheapies are poor to start with).

their will always be variations due to quality and locations, get a quality one for serious use and learn how to use your compass with a map.

and if your a man-of-steel like Def, forget it :P

Offline FredKJ

Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 03:12:46 AM
I have used the Cammenga before, typically when I was moving at night.  Remember tritium is slightly radioactive.  Probably shouldn't keep it next to the family heirlooms.  In military applications sometimes night navigation is essential.  For most recreational outdoor activity you generally don't do that.  A decent orienteering compass can cost less than $20 and works well with a map.  I also know there is a non-tritium version of the Cammenga. 

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 03:16:39 AM
I have used the Cammenga before, typically when I was moving at night.  Remember tritium is slightly radioactive.  Probably shouldn't keep it next to the family heirlooms.  In military applications sometimes night navigation is essential.  For most recreational outdoor activity you generally don't do that.  A decent orienteering compass can cost less than $20 and works well with a map.  I also know there is a non-tritium version of the Cammenga. 

Very true.  Mine is the Phosphorus Model...  :D

Offline FredKJ

Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 03:23:25 AM

Very true.  Mine is the Phosphorus Model...  :D

That keeps the tadpoles swimming straight.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #13 on: October 13, 2009, 03:43:45 AM
Supposedly tritium is only dangerous if inhaled or ingested.  Still I wouldn't EDC it in a front pocket next to important things.   :D  The tritium capsules in a military compass glow for about 10 years.  If you buy a used one keep that in mind.  Tritium doesn't need a light to charge it.  I had a friend who recently came out of the military who discussed another problem with tritium compasses.  With modern night vision equipment opening a tritium compass can light up a whole patrol. 

Offline FredKJ

Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 03:57:44 AM
http://www.cammenga.com/cammenga-products.php?category=1

That's what I use.  Made right here in Michigan!  The knock off Lensatics can be anywhere from 3-8 degrees off when they work correctly...

You're right on that.  If you prefer using a lensatic it is the only one worth getting.  Many of the knock offs are junk too.  A good compass is worth paying for.  It will last a lifetime.  I still have a Silva type 3 I bought in 1975.  It has a small bubble and is messed up some by keeping it next to some bug dope(BTW don't keep a plastic orienteering compass next to stuff like bug dope or suntan lotion.) 

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #15 on: October 13, 2009, 06:58:00 AM
I've not had that problem, but I have noticed that some of my compasses are more sensitive to large metal objects than others though :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline FredKJ

Reply #16 on: October 13, 2009, 07:37:53 AM
I usually consider those little button type compasses more as toys and not real reliable navigational compasses.  In an emergency situation when you have to depend on the compass you don't want a toy.  If you want to see a good web site that stocks just about every model from the major manufacturers check out:

www.thecompassstore.com

They have just about every model made by Silva, Suunto, Brunton and K&R.  They have everything from a basic Silva for just over $10 to Brunton transits that run over $500 as well as the military style lensatics.  They also have specialized orienteering compasses that are designed to settle faster and orienteering thumb compasses. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%