Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Spirit n1?
on: May 08, 2007, 12:34:38 PM
Hi guys,

I,m seriously thinking of getting a spirit n1 (with scissors) but the fact its got a combo edge is really putting me off as i hate serations! :angry:

I would,nt want to have to lose all that metal to make it a straight edge blade, so do vic have any plans to make a straight edged spirit with scissors? ???

I,ve already got a swiss tool X, and i want as close as possible to keep that assortment of tools, just in a more compact package :)

cheers guys

mike
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Spirit n1?
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 01:01:19 PM
My guess is probably not.  Look at the OHT's as an example.  Everyone wants a plain edge OHT but Victorinox is still cranking out the same old thing. 

I'd suggest giving the Spirit a shot though.  the serrations aren't that bad, and if it really bothers you, then there's an excuse to carry a regular SAK too, which is something that any loyal SOSAK member should be doing anyway! :D

Seriously, when Tim Leatherman "invented" the multitool, it was meant to be complimentary to a SAK, so you should be carrying both anyway!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 01:55:25 PM
When was LeatherMan invented anyway?
[

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 02:16:22 PM
The idea supposedly hit Tim Leatherman while touring Europe in the 70's when his car kept breaking down and his SAK wasn't enough to fix it.  He also needed a set of sturdy pliers to grip and hold nuts while he turned screws with the screwdriver on his SAK.

Over the next few years he designed and refined the tool and tried to sell the idea to several manufacturers who all turned him away.  I'll bet they are kicking themselves for that one!  Since no one would buy his "invention" he decided to go into business for himself.  Luckily Cabelas offered to buy some, so he had the first batch made in Japan before investing in his own shop in Portland.  I think that first batch was in '83.

That's pretty basic, and maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will step in with some details or corrections.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 02:28:46 PM
My guess is probably not.  Look at the OHT's as an example.  Everyone wants a plain edge OHT but Victorinox is still cranking out the same old thing. 

I'd suggest giving the Spirit a shot though.  the serrations aren't that bad, and if it really bothers you, then there's an excuse to carry a regular SAK too, which is something that any loyal SOSAK member should be doing anyway! :D

Seriously, when Tim Leatherman "invented" the multitool, it was meant to be complimentary to a SAK, so you should be carrying both anyway!

Def

you are as always right oh wise and glorious leader ;) :grin:

i think i,ll get one anyway, then decide weather or not to keep the serations :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:34:26 PM
Come on now- I have to know what I am talking about... 

After all, looking the way I do, I sure as heck didn't sleep my way to the top! :D

Def

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 04:00:15 AM
Something doesn't sound right about that first sentence... ;)

But seriously, thanks for the info!
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:41:56 AM
Micky give the serrations a chance , carry a SAK with you so you still have a plain edge you can rely on but use the spirits blade and see how it goes . The biggest drawback in the Spirits blade is the lack of a pointed tip , it has its advanteges and is a good safety blade but you really need a spear or clip point blade as well . The trouble with the S model is you loose the scissors .I still think the best option is to carry a SAK along with it .

Dunc

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 01:20:21 PM
true, but i really want just the one tool while i,m at work, but i,ll see how i get on with.

i,m sure it,ll be fine though :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44