Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Wave and Juice XE6 Comparison

N_N_R · 23 · 4922

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Leatherman Wave and Juice XE6 Comparison
on: July 21, 2014, 10:59:56 AM
As I’ve been sick for the past couple of days and can’t really talk much and I’ve also been quite bored, I decided to make a written comparison of two tools :D So, don’t be critical, I’m doing this mostly for fun and because I’m bored. And I’m also quite tired to look up specs online, so you’ll see lots of “about” and “around”,  less “exactness” and far from excellent pictures  (I’m doing this in bed):D

So, let’s have a look at the similarities between the Leatherman Wave and the Leatherman Juice xE6. They fall in two different categories, the Wave being a full-size tool and the Xe6 – pocket size tool. However, they have more in common than one might think. Their almost identical sets of tools let aside, they’re also just 50gr apart in weight – it was quite difficult to me to tell the difference, holding both in my hand, so I had to look it up :D

Both tools have sheaths/sheaths can be bought for them. My Wave came with one, the Juice came without, but I’m using the one from the S2. The Juice’s sheath in my opinion is more convenient, because due to its clip, you can remove the whole tool and sheath from your belt unlike the Waves.

The Juice is the “fatty” here, while the Wave is about half a layer slimmer, but almost 2cm taller.

My Juice was brand new, but it came quite loose from the box. Something which I actually like in comparison to the Wave, which I bought used, but it’s still quite tight.

Of course they both have… pliers. I may not be able to show it, but in comparison to all my Leathermans, whose plier tips were more than perfectly done, the tips of the Waves needlenose pliers are slightly “moved” that is, they don’t meet perfectly. Which is not important for me, really. But I found it weird.

Both tools have an almost equal number of screwdrivers that is, three flat heads and one phillips for the Juice and three flat heads and two phillips for the Wave (because of its bits).

Most of the Juice tools are on the outside, so let’s see what we have on the outside in both multitools. Some of the tools are actually “combined” in the same way-  on the Wave we have the plain blade and the saw on the same side “horizontally”, on the Juice we have the blade and the saw again on the same side, but “vertically”.

Then we have the serrated blade and the file on the other side again “together”.

Now we have perhaps my favourite tool, the scissors. They’re quite different in size and structure, but I can’t say which one’s better here. I dare say the tiny scissors on my Wave are better. But maybe that’s because the scissors of the Juice were quite loose out of the box. The scissors of the Juice are accessible on the outside, though, while the Wave’s are hidden inside.

Speaking of the hidden stuff, don’t get me on the Wave’s lanyard ring which took me hours to find. And I did thanks to one YT video :facepalm:. The Juice’s lanyard ring is a lot easier to find. The lanyard ring on the Wave looks a bit more… subtle, though, despite its size. Or maybe  it’s just me. Both are equally difficult to get out – I need tools to do this.

Now as for the openers – tools that I’ve never ever needed- the Wave has got a bottle/can opener, the Juice has got a bottle opener that combines the weird thingie helping the corkscrew do its job.

That’s for the likeness between the tools. Now, as I mentioned the corkscrew, let’s quickly go through the few different tools that either Leatherman offers. As you saw in the previous picture, the Juice has a corkscrew and the Wave does not. The Wave has a can opener, which the Juice does not. The Juice also offers and awl and the Wave does not. On the other hand, the Wave offers an awesome ruler ( I have a thing for rulers :D) and the short and stubby Juice does not.

The Wave's tools all lock, the Juice’s do not.

You can adjust the tightness of the Wave and it’s… open to modding, I assume, though I haven’t done it, you can’t do that with the Juice.

So, in the end, the main difference is the tool “toughness” and what you’re going to use the tools for. Both are equally versatile.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman Wave and Juice XE6 Comparison
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:11:18 AM
Great job, I enjoyed that. Hope you're feeling better soon.  :tu:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:15:10 AM
Nice job!
Hope you get to feeling better.
Btw, when are you gonna get a Surge?   :)

That's us mobile.

Nate

SEND IT!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 11:24:08 AM
Thanks, guys :)

Surge? What's a Surge? I don't know what a Surge is. I don't want a Surge. :ahhh   No, really, I've promised to myself not to buy new stuff for a while. (I don't believe my own self :think: ) :D

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 02:30:56 PM
Lanyard ring???     :facepalm:  I've had this thing for years and never knew.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 02:41:25 PM
I like the pistaccio colored sheets, thy match Juice's Disco Purple a lot.
That Juice is a very special case. I love playing with it but always use another tool.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 03:11:45 PM
Lanyard ring???     :facepalm:  I've had this thing for years and never knew.

LOL, I'd have been the same if I hadn't seen some people attach a lanyard to it... and I tried to put it where not until I finally checked YT :D

I like the pistaccio colored sheets, thy match Juice's Disco Purple a lot.
That Juice is a very special case. I love playing with it but always use another tool.

LOL.

Actually, I also hardly ever use the Xe6. I don't even know why. I thought I was trying to preserve the nicely coloured scales new and intact. But who knows :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:47:57 PM
Nice review N_N_R  :salute: i oddly compare my xe6 to my og wave,probably because the xes is the closest i can get to a uk legal lm with a similar tool load  :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2014, 04:56:24 PM
Nice review N_N_R  :salute: i oddly compare my xe6 to my og wave,probably because the xes is the closest i can get to a uk legal lm with a similar tool load  :D

I'd always reckoned my KF4 was a miniWave.

Nice comparison N_N_R :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 05:05:19 PM

I'd always reckoned my KF4 was a miniWave.

Nice comparison N_N_R :tu:

Th kf4 has a lot less tools than the xe6 but i do wish i kept my kf4  :-\

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 05:09:20 PM
Great comparison!!  :tu:  I really wish they'd fix the biting issue so I could get another Juice. :wait:

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 05:11:28 PM
Great comparison! However, I would like to say from experience that the bottle opener on the Juice will open cans.

Feel better, N_N_R
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 05:20:01 PM
Thanks  :salute:

I never had a KF4.... I wish I had :D

@derekmac

Those naughty drivers :D

@rdub934

Really? I've never tested either, but I thought that because the Juice's one was ... blunt, it wouldn't be able to. Good to know it can open cans, too :)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 05:37:42 PM
Out of the three stock Juices I've had,the KF4 is hands down the best in all respects. Makes sense that it's the one they'd discontinue :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:46:09 PM
Out of the three stock Juices I've had,the KF4 is hands down the best in all respects. Makes sense that it's the one they'd discontinue :think:

Maybe people prefer to have scissors :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: July 21, 2014, 06:02:15 PM

Yeah what i was thinking :tu:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 06:04:10 PM by Zed »

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 06:11:31 PM

To me it's between my KF4 and S2.  The only thing the S2 has over the KF4 for me, is that it has scissors and is slimmer.  I really wish the KF4 had scissors in place of the serrated blade.  If it did, it would have pretty much everything one could need while kicking around the house, except a bottle/can opener or corkscrew, neither of which I need often at all.  The S2 has the basics covered for that role, so I'm more likely to carry that around home (which I had been doing earlier in the summer, until the Rogueneer arrived and took over my pocket). 

Oh, and great comparison NNR :tu:  I got sidetracked :D
K-Tibbs

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 06:15:53 PM
Thanks guys :D

God live the scissors! :viking: :D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 02:11:17 PM
Another... similarity:

When you haven't closed the flathead drivers of the Wave 100%, the pliers tend to get stuck in the handle and the tool can't close.... just like the Juice Xe6 :facepalm:

Offline Awanderingponderer

Reply #19 on: January 07, 2024, 03:10:05 AM
I just googled wave vs juice looking for a picture of the tools  side by side. This is amazing. Thank you sir ten years later

au Offline Echotech

Reply #20 on: January 09, 2024, 07:14:43 AM
Nice bump  :tu:

Offline cnlson

Reply #21 on: January 09, 2024, 09:05:50 AM
how does this still have photos showing. The great photobucket massacre killed them all i thought. So many threads here with photobucket placeholders and no pics.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: January 09, 2024, 09:26:58 PM
Several closed their accounts out when PB was.gonna start charging everyone. Some paid a while then closed out. Some just rode it out and didn’t answer them at all and the pics stayed :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%