Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Micro Toolclip

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
SOG Micro Toolclip
on: September 20, 2006, 06:14:39 AM
Sorry, my photography skills suck.  This is the first time I've ever tried to write a detailed review of anything.  Hopefully someone finds it usefull... please let me know any thoughts you may have.

I picked this up used off of ebay. 

Initial Impressions
Upon opening the package, one of the first things I noticed is that this is smaller than I expected.  It's not much bigger than a pocket knife.  The second thing I noticed was that it feels extremely solid.  There's almost no side movement in the pliers at all.  I was very impressed.

Pocket Carry
One thing I did not like is that, in my opinion, the pocket clip is on the wrong way.  When you clip it in your pocket the pliers are pointing up, and it feels like half the tool is sticking out of your pocket.  If the clip had been reversed, the tool would sit deeper in the pocket and feel more secure.  After carrying it for a few days though, I haven't had any trouble with it falling out or catching on things, and it's very comfortable.

Using the Tool

If you have meaty hands like me, you need to be careful how you hold the tool when using the pliers.

If you hold it with the body of the tool in your palm (pictured above) everything is fine.  If you hold it with plier handle in your palm (pictured below) you can end up pinching your hand between the body and the handle. 

The pliers feel very solid.  Very little movement can be felt, even when twisting.  The pliers are small, and anything over about 3/4" becomes difficult to hold secure.  With their small size, I would have preferred the pliers to be needle nose for smaller tasks.  Overall, the pliers work very well.

There is a wire cutter at the base of the pliers.  This is one part I'm somewhat dissapointed with.  On mine, there is a small gap between the two sides.  If used for cutting small wire, sometimes the wire will rotate and wedge between the blades, rather than the blades making a clean cut. 

Inside the body are a plain knife blade, a serrated blade, and a flat screwdriver that has a file on one side.  None of the tools lock open, so they can close if you're not careful with how your using them.  I tried doing a little prying with the flat blade screwdriver and it closed on me a couple times while I was using it.  I attribute this more to operator error than any flaw in the tool.  Still, it would be nice if the tools locked open. 

The plain knife edge seems to be pretty standard.  This is a used tool and the blade was a bit dull.  There were no chips or dings in the blade, which seems to indicate it holds up well with use. 

The serrated blade works very well for how small it is.  It cut through small branches (1" - 2" diameter) rather quickly.  Once again, since the blade doesn't lock, you have to be careful with how you use it.  I was pushing the blade away from me and angled slightly down when the blade stuck in the branch.  The movement caused the tool to close.  (Don't worry, all my fingers are ok) Once again, locking blades would be very nice.

Ok, I've got to admit one thing.  I don't like that there isn't a phillips head on this tool.  I find I need a phillips head quite a bit.

I like the tip of the flat blade screwdriver because it allows it to work with a lot of different sizes of slotted screws.  The file on the side of the screwdriver is also very handy.  It's funny, a week ago I would have insisted I did not need a file on a multitool.  Since I received the Toolclip, I've used the file a dozen or so times.  It's definately a nice feature to have.

The Verdict is...
All things considered, I really like this tool.  In my opinion, the absence of a phillips head driver is a big negative.  For a small pocket tool, it is very effective and very well made.  I would definately recommend it to anyone that wants a small multitool to stick in their pocket for smaller jobs.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: SOG Micro Toolclip
Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 12:10:25 PM
Great review- I have been meaning to get my review posted on the main part of the site, but with your permission, I would like to post this one there.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, and especially that this is a small tool and needs to be reserved for smaller jobs.  It definately is not for heavy work, but could probably do most of the simple day to day stuff you bump into.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:43:48 PM
Feel free to post it Def.   Thanks for the feedback.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 03:53:19 AM
Nice review 665ae. Very thorough. I agree with all of your conclusions, with one suggestion for SOG. (ten years too late, but still a suggestion) I think the plier function would be a lot handier if the jaws were spring-loaded. It's sorta clumsy for me to pull the small plier handle open every time I want to use them. And the tool already has a catch that would have kept the sprung jaws closed when not in use. What do you guys think?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 06:53:24 AM
Nice review 665ae. Very thorough. I agree with all of your conclusions, with one suggestion for SOG. (ten years too late, but still a suggestion) I think the plier function would be a lot handier if the jaws were spring-loaded. It's sorta clumsy for me to pull the small plier handle open every time I want to use them. And the tool already has a catch that would have kept the sprung jaws closed when not in use. What do you guys think?

I didn't think about that.  You're right though, spring loaded pliers would be nice.  The only problem would be that sometimes the plastic catch moves while it's in my pocket, and that would allow the handle to spring open in my pocket.  That probably wouldn't be very comfortable.  They could put a notch in the handle for the catch to rest in when its closed, then the spring tension would keep the catch in place...

Hmm... that actually sounds like a fun mod to try.  I might have to spend a little time out in the garage this weekend.   >:D

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:04:31 AM
don't bend over too quick while its in you're pocket though or youll never have kids
Yabba dabba doo!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 02:41:17 AM
I didn't get it quite that bad, but I did leave a nice mark on my hip that way once!

It should come with a warning label!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%