Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Has anyone tried this: fitting standard Hex bit into LM charge...

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
I got this idea from the thread about the SOG parts, and the one pic that showed one of the handles having just a normal hex bit driver in it, no other tools.

Well that got me thinking. Is it possible to take out the slim bit driver and can opener from the LM charge handle, and replace it with a stanrd bit driver?

Because if so, then I believe you can take out the large flathead and small bit driver from the other handle, put in the can opener, and have space for one more tool of your choice (e.g. awl).

I dont believe you would lose any functionality this way, in fact I think you would be gaining quite a bit of versatility for your tool.

However it all depends on whether a standard bit driver can be put into one of the handles, I have no modding know how or experience, so would anyone be able to tell me if this is a possibility?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
I don't see why it wouldn't work, provided you could find a multitool friendly bit driver.  I for one would like to see a nice ratcheting bit driver replace all the screwdrivers in a multitool.  If you could either have a bit holder that fit into the sheath or even some bits that fit into the side of the handle similar to the LM knives that would be pretty darned perfect to me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Am I correct in thinking that the only full-hexagon bit drivers have been on cheap knock-off tools? I can't remember that any of the major manufacturers have one....?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Am I correct in thinking that the only full-hexagon bit drivers have been on cheap knock-off tools? I can't remember that any of the major manufacturers have one....?

Leatherman Crunch -- remove the pliers adjustment bolt to reveal the hex socket.

Schrade ST-5 (aka Sears Craftsman multitool) - hex socket unfolds from one handle
sears-multitool.jpg
* sears-multitool.jpg (Filesize: 49.91 KB)
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
The only major problem I can forsee with this is the bit driver not fitting into the handle, is it wide enough to accomodate a standard bit driver?

I suppose another problem would be actually finding a suitable bit driver that could be attached to the tool, and work with the lock.

What do people think, could this be done? is it worth it?

edit: of course I'm guessing this could be done in the wave, and even easier in the surge due to its larger size and wider handles.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 05:06:54 PM by Raukodur »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club

Leatherman Crunch -- remove the pliers adjustment bolt to reveal the hex socket.

Schrade ST-5 (aka Sears Craftsman multitool) - hex socket unfolds from one handle

Oops, forgot about them two. Thanks Parnass!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
The only major problem I can forsee with this is the bit driver not fitting into the handle, is it wide enough to accomodate a standard bit driver?

I suppose another problem would be actually finding a suitable bit driver that could be attached to the tool, and work with the lock.

What do people think, could this be done? is it worth it?

Provided you could find a suitable bit driver that would fit properly into the tool you want to modify, it should work okay.
("Fit properly" meaning that the pivot hole is the correct size for the pin, the locking system notch is the same size and location, and the width of the driver fits within the handle okay.)

However, is it worthwhile? Not only does the standard hex bit driver take up more room, but the full-hex bits themselves take up more room too. A kit of double-ended flattened Leatherman bits gives you 20 different driver options in a package that slips into the sheath behind the tool.

The same amount of standard bits would require a little pouch of some kind I think.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
the reason why i might think it is worthwhile is because I believe that if a standard bit could be put in, you could take out the large flathead screwdriver and small bit driver from the other handle, replace one slot with the can opener you have had to remove to make space for the normal bit driver, but still have one slot free on the other handle to put another tool into.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Okay, I understand.  :)

But I'm still thinking the downside would be carrying full size extra bits instead of the slim flattened bits.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%