Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

GRRRR!!!!!!!!

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
GRRRR!!!!!!!!
on: September 20, 2006, 06:31:38 PM
Ok, I have ranted and raved on here repeatedly about what a great tool the Wave is, how IMO it's the best tool out there, etc., but now I have to make an ammendment.  The tool friggin bites!!  And I don't mean it bites as in it's no good.  I mean it bites... literally.  I don't know if it's the fact that the knife blades are a little wider in order to use your thumb to pop them open or what, but so many times when I'm using the pliers, I get pinched between the handles!!  I've had ONE TO MANY blood blisters and cuts from these pinches, and am about to retire the thing for good.  However, now I am faced with the problem of what multi tool to use.  I own a swiss tool, but I don't know, maybe it's that the springs are too tight or whatever, but you need some really strong finger nails to get some of those tools out.  Maybe it's just mine.  Do the tool lossen up over time with use?  Also, the Swiss tool is kind've heavy for the use I give it.  I love the tool selection, but it's just big.  I know I've been told the Spirit would be a good choice, but if the tools are as hard to get out as on the swiss tool, then I'll have to pass.  Any suggestions?

Offline bobofish

Re: GRRRR!!!!!!!!
Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 01:43:57 PM
Buddy, I feel your pain. I thought it was just me.

Granted, I have the wave's big brother, the surge. I only bought the thing 4 or 5 weeks ago, and a couple weeks ago found myself replacing some locks and such. After two hours of work I had four blood blisters on my thumb.

us Offline LatinoHeat

• The man with the plan and the really nice tan.
Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 02:49:39 AM
YES, my thumb, my poor thumb!!  My Blast and sideclip don't hurt like that because they have more room between the handles since there are no big knife blades there.  However, the Wave being a gift from my wife back when we were dating, I keep it around for sentimental value.  However, I have a post here about how the Blast outperformed the Wave a few weeks ago, so I don't know. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 04:29:06 AM
Hmmmmm, that is curious. I've never pinched myself even once while using my Charge or old Wave.

(Now watch, I'll probably nail myself so bad tomorrow that it will draw blood!)

Seriously though, how on earth are you guys getting your thumb squeezed in there between the handles?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 09:40:24 AM
I'm curious also, I use my Charge almost everyday and haven't pinched myself ever. The only time I ever hurt myself was trying to close the blade with one hand and not paying attention.
"

Offline bobofish

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 12:56:55 PM
Personally I've chalked it up to about a 50/50 split between stupidity and design compromise. Perhaps I'm being optimistic about my own intelligence though.

I tend to choke up a little on the thing, but even when I grab it by the ends, somehow my thumb always rests between the blade exchanger and the knife. It's a little better when I remember to switch sides.

Part of the problem is that I'm a lefty but I use my right hand with knives...consequently I open the thing with my right hand, and just switch hands....then I pinch myself.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 01:35:43 AM
Ouch!!
(It seems like after you did this the first time, you would never ever EVER do it again!)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%