Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Help

damota · 19 · 4698

Offline damota

Help
on: May 14, 2007, 04:52:44 PM
When I got my Gerber Cutter I removed my saw and other item over from a MP600 over to that tool. I had a Paul Chen multitool that had a decent set of shears but to be honest the rest of it I did not like especially the slipy chrome finish.
So I have swapped the heads over and have filled one handle with some of the blades I had left from the Cutter/MP600 mod. I have looked all over for a 1/4" bit ratchet to fill the other handle but had no success. The space between the frame is 9/16" (14mm) and there is 15/8" depth when the jaws are withdrawn (another quarter of an inch or so sticking out would not matter though). If anyone has seen anything that might fit this space or slightly smaller let me know the make tool name or number if it has one.
I am hoping with a few more pairs of eyes looking out for me I might have more success.

Dave
PICT0807 (Medium).JPG
* PICT0807 (Medium).JPG (Filesize: 57.14 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Help
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:20:12 PM
I don't really have any advice, but I am looking forward to seeing the results!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 01:22:54 AM
I don't really have any advice, but I am looking forward to seeing the results!

Def

Tom did a similar search I believe without much success before he went on to his wrench head idea so this is like the final straw. If none turns up I think I will have to mate it with another MP600 Pro-Scout for the saw adapter. I wish the LM hacksaw adapter would fit so I could use both B&D and Bosch blades.
Just have to wait and see if anyone spies anything suitable.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 04:19:48 AM
I need to find me one of those Paul Chen tools... are they as neat as they look?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 05:43:24 AM
Looks like a heckuva tool you have going there Dave! The Gerber handle set is certainly better than the original Paul Chen with those goofy pliers on the side. (Although I do like the removeable file  -too bad it isn't diamond- and the outside opening knife blade.)

I'll do some checking around for a small ratchet head too.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 09:50:15 AM
I need to find me one of those Paul Chen tools... are they as neat as they look?

Def

They look cool but to use them I found them clumsy. I do not like sprung handles at the best of times and the ones on this tool are powerful so along with the handle finish, makes them want to jump out of your hands all the time. The head locks in open and the closed position so you can not flick it open. IMO the chrome plate is the major flaw in its design though. You just wish it could rust to get some grip to the handles.
The shears are good though, they are screwed together and there is a small grub screw to adjust the bite. The blade has a good liner lock and is a decent size. Unfortunately it would take more work than I am capable of doing to make it fit a Gerber. Also as I have used it so little, I haven't a clue how good the quality of the steel is though.

Dave
PICT0811.jpg
* PICT0811.jpg (Filesize: 72.04 KB)

Offline damota

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12:21 AM
Looks like a heckuva tool you have going there Dave!
Even at this stage (about a month and a half since I swapped the heads) it has had more use than it ever got before. Does seem to be working OK  :)
(Although I do like the removeable file  -too bad it isn't diamond- and the outside opening knife blade.
Makes you wonder why none of the main makers have not come up with that file idea?
I'll do some checking around for a small ratchet head too.
Thanks Bob

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 05:52:06 AM
I've been looking, but haven't found any small ratchet device for you Dave.  :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 12:30:29 PM
Sorry for the delay in answering Bob,  but I have just changed from XP to Ubuntu (Linux) tried a couple of flavours before settling with the studio version (for now).
I have been told of one that may do the job, I have been told of a driver that has a short ratcheting head on the end that is hinged to the shaft. Apparently they got a couple in last year and the guy is willing to try and get a couple in again even if I do not buy one. Now for the bad part- they cost more than a MP600 with a saw adapter  :cry: and as soon as I get it (if I do) I am going to destroy it.
As it means cutting a slot in the end of the handle to fit it I am not too sure if it would make the handle loose some strength for twisting it, any how I have taken him up on his offer. Should have them for me to see at the end of next month.
I am thinking that I am most likely going to end up buying a Pro- Scout and just swap the heads over.

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 02:49:46 PM
Show us a picture of that ratchet driver when you can Dave. I'll be interested to see if it is available in the U.S.

Offline damota

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 04:10:36 PM
It is German made and the company is BS-Top. The only website I have found it on is-

http://www.toolsinstock.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=15849

But I now have problem although I got it at trade price the quality of the tool is so good and he was only able to get the one I am unwilling to start working on it. Only the handle is plastic, the rotating selector for the direction it ratchets might be plastic but I think it is only the sleeve that you touch all the rest is well machined metal. It is very heavy for the size and screams of quality, so I now have a new screwdriver with a set of quality security bits  It will need major work on the multi's handle so I am going to put it on the back burner till he gets another one in. I am going to get a couple of shims machined out while I wait though  ;)
If and when it happen I will post a pic of it though.

Dave
DSC00160.MTo.JPG
* DSC00160.MTo.JPG (Filesize: 112.54 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 04:31:19 PM
For that price it better be top quality!  :o

Seriously that does look like a very nice companion to a multitool.  The handle looks too comfortable to cut off and throw away!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 03:32:37 PM
For that price it better be top quality!  :o

Seriously that does look like a very nice companion to a multitool.  The handle looks too comfortable to cut off and throw away!

Def

Yep, I agree. You are going to need to keep that one as-is and buy a second one for your mod.  :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 06:31:49 PM
At that price I don't know if anyone can afford two!  Better get a cheaper one to hack apart for modding, at least until you have the fittings properly set up!

Def

Offline damota

Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 07:58:00 PM
If I get the other one for the price I got the first at I will be OK. That shop is making 125% profit if they got it wholesale at the price I did = £20. So if my contact can not get me another one. I will be buying another MP600 Pro Scout and forget about the ratcheting screwdriver for now. No way would I pay that prise just to through half of it away. I will still have a set of MP600 handles spare so when I find a driver at the right price it might be done then.
I am going to make reinforcement strips for the handles and the 2 packing pieces for fitting the screw driver head into the handle. So if I do get another of these drivers at the same price (could do with that fingers crossed gif here) everything will be ready to cut back the handle, drill 2 holes to fit the head in and a couple of tapped holes to screw the ends of the reinforcing strips.

Dave

Offline supratentorial

Reply #15 on: June 04, 2007, 09:25:21 AM

Offline supratentorial

Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 09:54:21 AM

Offline damota

Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 03:24:10 PM
Thanks for the info-
Had a look at the different tools available and I am definitely interested in this one, so will probably give it a try.
 :cheers:

Dave
Zackly.resized.jpg
* Zackly.resized.jpg (Filesize: 25.52 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 12:57:32 AM
The price is pretty reasonable too. Be interested to hear how this one works out.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%