Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bloody customs!

Benner · 221 · 13055

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Re: Bloody customs!
Reply #60 on: September 26, 2009, 03:35:36 PM
Here's an example of their madness  :D

I got this last year for a fun knife to play with although it had been opened by customs it's in my possession  >:D

The thing is I think they looked at it and couldn't decide if it were a bird or a knife  :rofl: dim wits  :D

Anyway I hope you get it back Ben here's hoping they come to their senses sooner rather than later  :tu:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: September 26, 2009, 03:41:01 PM
I'm all for standing behind a principle and running with it.. if you've got the cash upfront to do so  :-\

No cash upfront needed what I would do is collect as much info as possible before entering court and in the likely outcome being in my favour costs would go to them oh! wait I mean tax payers  ;)

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: September 26, 2009, 03:49:55 PM
I'm all for standing behind a principle and running with it.. if you've got the cash upfront to do so  :-\

No cash upfront needed what I would do is collect as much info as possible before entering court and in the likely outcome being in my favour costs would go to them oh! wait I mean tax payers  ;)

Is that the likely outcome though?  I'd hope so but I wouldn't want to bet my solvency on the fact. The defence that everyone else is selling them might not win the case.  The prosecution standing there with the knife in question and flicking it open might be all the magistrate needs to find in their favour :(

I'm not saying your wrong and I'm certainly not arguing against the principle of what you're saying.  I'm just saying that having to explain to my family why we're selling the house is not something I'd personally risk :D

I have heard of cases that have been successfully appealed but they seem to be a minority.  Once they've drawn their line they normally stick with it :(
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #63 on: September 26, 2009, 05:09:13 PM
Benner

Is their a "knife" related organization in the UK that could get behind the issue at hand and request letters from other knife ornersand also storm any hearings that may be held?
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #64 on: September 26, 2009, 05:12:06 PM

That's all very well and good, but the process of appeal starts off with you stating your legal representation which I would do if I was loaded and didn't have a family to think off but I have to be realistic.  This is a £40ish knife which is not worth the risk.  As much as I hate it, it just isn't.

As far as challenging is concerned, I have explained in my letter about it being available to buy here in the UK and that it can also be fixed under warranty here too, but TBH I know I am wasting my time.  I have left it saying that if they still see fit I will forfeit it but that I need that other stuff back.  My focus now is not losing more than I have to.
I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #65 on: September 26, 2009, 05:14:14 PM
Benner

Is their a "knife" related organization in the UK that could get behind the issue at hand and request letters from other knife ornersand also storm any hearings that may be held?

TBH, I don't know.  But like I said above, to start off the appeal you need the name of your legal representative.  They also only give you one month to do all this so the pressure is on there as well.

Basically, they have me by the short and curlies and are holding my other stuff to ransom in a way.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #66 on: September 26, 2009, 05:31:24 PM
Ben - FWIW I agree with you. Unless you can find a knife collecting solicitor through one of the knife forums that would take the case on for free, it would be a huge gamble.

I think I would pursue the free options (CAB, your MP etc) though.
I used to come here a lot.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: September 26, 2009, 05:39:55 PM
I'n not making a big thing of this but! where does it say you need legal representation?

A quote from HM customs:

2.12 Do I need legal representation in court?

No. You don't have to be legally represented in court but you may want to instruct a solicitor (normally at your own expense) to act on your behalf.

That said I do understand "Ben" that it's a big hassle gathering info and conducting your own defence, and it's that where they have us shafted as most would rather not attend court in the first place and yes! a lawyer is out of most peoples reach anyway  >:( 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #68 on: September 26, 2009, 05:51:02 PM
The letter states that to appeal they need the name of my legal representative sent to them by post within 30 days.
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: September 26, 2009, 05:59:18 PM
The letter states that to appeal they need the name of my legal representative sent to them by post within 30 days.

Strange that :think:

My understanding of the Law is: in this country you can defend yourself in criminal or non-criminal(as in this case) proceedings.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: September 26, 2009, 06:15:26 PM
That is true, but you can do yourself a whole lot of damage representing yourself. There's a reason why solicitors get paid all that money.

Ben - have you tried the CAB? They like a good confrontation with the authorities!

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #71 on: September 26, 2009, 06:20:03 PM
should have had it sent in parts :P
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #72 on: September 26, 2009, 06:28:25 PM
That is true, but you can do yourself a whole lot of damage representing yourself. There's a reason why solicitors get paid all that money.

Ben - have you tried the CAB? They like a good confrontation with the authorities!

TBH, my main focus has been to get that other stuff back so to be quick I have already sent the letter I have discussed above.  I am pretty much just going to see what comes of that and go from there.
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #73 on: September 26, 2009, 06:35:35 PM
Yeah on the good side we are gathering info on ways to beat their ignorance of what is legal and what aint  :D

I would like to get sent a cheap slip joint knife and for fun:sealed in a wooden box with gorilla glue then wound a few times in duct tape placed in another cardboard box then wrapped a few times with parcel tape and finally placed in a bubble mailer,just for some customs fun  >:D 

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #74 on: September 26, 2009, 06:39:25 PM
Yeah on the good side we are gathering info on ways to beat their ignorance of what is legal and what aint  :D

I would like to get sent a cheap slip joint knife and for fun:sealed in a wooden box with gorilla glue then wound a few times in duct tape placed in another cardboard box then wrapped a few times with parcel tape and finally placed in a bubble mailer,just for some customs fun  >:D 

I know you were joking, but if my experience does help someone else out it would ease the anger a little.  :D  I know John would feel the same as well.
I'm back!!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #75 on: September 26, 2009, 07:43:01 PM
Wow... sounds like customs really shafts you out there. A real knife in the back so to speak.

Good luck with your situation Benner... couldn't you just list yourself as the legal representative? :D
Got those frog legs.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #76 on: September 26, 2009, 07:59:44 PM
Wow... sounds like customs really shafts you out there. A real knife in the back so to speak.

Good luck with your situation Benner... couldn't you just list yourself as the legal representative? :D

I could, but as it would then go to court I'd be a bit lost.  :D
I'm back!!

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: September 26, 2009, 08:13:20 PM

I could, but as it would then go to court I'd be a bit lost.  :D

I agree this could or would be daunting to say the least,

I'm taking your advice "buy from the UK" very seriously like you said such knives are available "tho we pay a little more coin" here on tap even F.A.S.T draw knives  :D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 08:14:53 PM by John »

england Offline Hull_ n_Back

Reply #78 on: September 26, 2009, 10:55:43 PM
'scuse me for being a newbie but do UK customs often intercept packages from the US??? How do they know what to check, x-rays??

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #79 on: September 26, 2009, 11:00:18 PM
'scuse me for being a newbie but do UK customs often intercept packages from the US??? How do they know what to check, x-rays??
The customs form will usually have a description and cost on it. and apparently all knives are being inspected :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: September 26, 2009, 11:00:46 PM

It is random, and they mainly go by the description I expect, but I bet the search random others as well.
I'm back!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: September 27, 2009, 12:16:53 AM
They have very sophisticated X-ray equipment now - I remember from my days working for TNT. I think they randomly scan and / or open packages, unless somethings obviously suspect.

To date, I've had well over one hundred packages from overseas and only one has been opened - last week, from Def!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: September 27, 2009, 01:15:42 AM
That's a bit weird actually. Quite a few of my packages have been opened.  No problems though, everything just gets sealed up and sent on.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #83 on: September 28, 2009, 11:35:52 PM
I am usually paranoid about ordering anything much from overseas because of this. It's cr*p, and the post office steal lord knows what that does get through  >:(

Sorry to hear you're getting screwed here Ben  :(
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #84 on: September 28, 2009, 11:39:28 PM
Guess what? The fricking package I sent to DaveK got returned to me today. WTF!!!!  >:(  I'm going to have to figure out another way to send it. I'm thinking about UPS, but I'm not sure how that will work in the UK? Man this sucks!!   ::)
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #85 on: September 28, 2009, 11:43:14 PM
Guess what? The fricking package I sent to DaveK got returned to me today. WTF!!!!  >:(  I'm going to have to figure out another way to send it. I'm thinking about UPS, but I'm not sure how that will work in the UK? Man this sucks!!   ::)

Here, just send it to me... much easier, right? :D
Got those frog legs.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #86 on: September 28, 2009, 11:46:15 PM

Here, just send it to me... much easier, right? :D

How is that easier? You're not even home!   ::)   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #87 on: September 28, 2009, 11:49:43 PM

Did it state why?
I'm back!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #88 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:25 PM
They have very sophisticated X-ray equipment now - I remember from my days working for TNT. I think they randomly scan and / or open packages, unless somethings obviously suspect.

To date, I've had well over one hundred packages from overseas and only one has been opened - last week, from Def!

Amusingly enough, my uncle (who used to work for Customs in the UK!) was stopped two weeks ago from traveling home to Scotland from Canada with the most dangerous of Canadian illicit substances- maple syrup!

CALL OUT THE DOGS!

:ahhh

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: September 28, 2009, 11:58:55 PM

UPS deliver packages here as do Fedex via their own vans IIRC  :think:  ,the USPS is usually delivered via Parcelforce or Royalmail my guess is tho the first two would be a lot more expensive  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%